toothpaste

Options
AnneCan
AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone else is irritated by toothpastes &/or can you recommend a toothpaste that doesn't make the mouth hurt?

Thanks

Comments

• coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    Options
    You doing oxy too?
    I use Crest and yes when I first start I get that strange sensation in the back of the jaw, just like when I eat but I've been able to get by by waiting a second or two in pain and then cointinuing and its ok for me....so far. With chemo things change sudedenly.
    I'm sure there;s something more appropriate for your situation but I don't know it...Sorry....Steve
  • patsy1954
    patsy1954 Member Posts: 85
    Options
    Burning w/Brushing
    I had bad burning in my mouth especially my on my gums when on Oxy. This will sound strange but I ended up using my grandsons toothpaste. I have it on hand for when he visits, so I tried it. I used Kids Crest bubble gum flavor. No burning!!

Pat
  • johnnybegood
    johnnybegood Member Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    patsy1954 said:

Burning w/Brushing
    I had bad burning in my mouth especially my on my gums when on Oxy. This will sound strange but I ended up using my grandsons toothpaste. I have it on hand for when he visits, so I tried it. I used Kids Crest bubble gum flavor. No burning!!

Pat

hello
    our neighbors have been a God send to us.they live on the farm behind us,she is a dental asst and she gave me some toothpaste that is made just for chemo patients.i never had any burning but i did have the mouth sores.my onc gave me magic mouth wash for those,check with your dentist for the toothpaste....Godbless...johnnybegood
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    Options

hello
    our neighbors have been a God send to us.they live on the farm behind us,she is a dental asst and she gave me some toothpaste that is made just for chemo patients.i never had any burning but i did have the mouth sores.my onc gave me magic mouth wash for those,check with your dentist for the toothpaste....Godbless...johnnybegood

Hey Anne!
    I had the same problem with toothpaste burning my mouth, but have been using the Biotene line of products, including mouthwash. It doesn't burn badly, or taste real good, I miss my Mentadent, but had to give it up, hope that brand line will help you! I also used Sensodyne, which has actually been helping as well :)

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • andicat
    andicat Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Shayenne said:

Hey Anne!
    I had the same problem with toothpaste burning my mouth, but have been using the Biotene line of products, including mouthwash. It doesn't burn badly, or taste real good, I miss my Mentadent, but had to give it up, hope that brand line will help you! I also used Sensodyne, which has actually been helping as well :)

Hugsss!
    ~Donna

Yes, I agree with the
    Yes, I agree with the Biotene. I use the toothpaste and mouthwash. I started using it because I got a few mouth sores. Sores no more. I buy them at Walgreens. I don't know of any other place that has them.
  • AnneCan
    Options
    Thanks Steve, Patsy,
    Thanks Steve, Patsy, Jonnybegood, Donna & Andicat.

My husband went out today & bought two new toothpastes, one of which is Biotene, so I will try that. For mouthwash, my cancer centre only wants me to use water & baking soda unless I have mouthsores, which I did once & they prescribed me the "magic mouthwash". I am on folfiri + avastin. I had chemo on the 15th + my neutrophil count was a little low but they decided to give me the chemo anyway. This has been a hard bounceback, I am still tired & I have had the issue with my toothpaste. I even tried a children's one & it burned too! Let's see how this biotene works!

Thanks again + happy holidays!
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    Childrens
    I was to use children's toothpaste as it didn't contain any alcohol. Couldn't stand the bubble gum flavor though so I just went back to using my original toothpaste.

Kim
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    yes
    Yes, my mouth is now very oversensitive to toothpastes. It's also overly sensitive to anything even remotely spicey. Things that didn't even seem spicy to me before now cause my mouth to feel like it's on fire! I've stopped chemo now since the Monday before Thanksgiving, but this oversensitivity hasn't yet worn off.

I can only use Biotene toothpaste. Even sensitive formulas of other toothpastes still cause my mouth to burn. This last time, I bought the sensitive (pink) formula of Aquafresh and it feels like fire in my mouth when I use it. I need to get to the store quick and buy the Biotene toothpaste again. WalMart carries Biotene, although they often seem to be out of it, but that is where I get it. I'm sure it's cheaper there than at the drugstore.
    Biotene is what I'd recommend! The toothpaste and also the mouth wash.

If you have problems still with mouth sores, I've discovered that L-glutamine powder rubbed directly on the mouth sores really does help. This advice was given to me by my oncology nurse and it really does work! Prior to knowing about the L-glutamine, I used to take L-lysine and that also helped, but not as quickly as this. Note: just taking an L-glutamine pill or tablet won't help- it has to be the loose powder formula. You can get it in health food stores, but I discovered I can get it online (Swanson vitamins is where I got it or even amazon.com) and it's about half the price of what you'll pay in stores.

Good luck!
    Lisa
  • beachinmom
    beachinmom Member Posts: 73
    Options

Childrens
    I was to use children's toothpaste as it didn't contain any alcohol. Couldn't stand the bubble gum flavor though so I just went back to using my original toothpaste.

Kim

try the sensodyne
    my teeth hurt with sensitivity....i love this toothpaste...if i miss using it for two days i feel it...

i used the biotene mouthwash and this for toothpaste...

http://www.pronamel.us/
  • AnneCan
    Options
    Thanks to everyone!
    Thanks so much for all your replies + knowledge. I tried the Biotene + didn't have fiery mouth so I think I will stick with it for now. My husband bought it at a "natural" type drugstore. He looked @ the label (he is a chemist) + said this product is not approved in Canada (where we live) so I likely not be able to get it @ any of the large chains, but luckily the store he got it at is close to our home.

Merci beaucoup to all!