Bone scan

Options
e_hope
e_hope Member Posts: 370
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Have a full body bone scan ordered for Tuesday. Oncologist is ordering it because of all the leg and back pain I have been having. Has anyone else had one of these scans?

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    Yes
    I had before surgery and Chemo 14 moths ago to rule out mets to the bones.
    I remember it as easy procedure. It was nothing remarkable for me.
    Good luck,
    New Flower
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

Yes
    I had before surgery and Chemo 14 moths ago to rule out mets to the bones.
    I remember it as easy procedure. It was nothing remarkable for me.
    Good luck,
    New Flower

I have had 4 they inject
    I have had 4 they inject you with a radioisoptope, you go out drink fluid, and come back 3 hours later. you lay down in your clothes and a machine goes over you slowly. Its a little wierd when it goes across your head but it doesnt take that long. My husband stayed in the room with me. the easiest test Ive had.
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    Options
    carkris said:

I have had 4 they inject
    I have had 4 they inject you with a radioisoptope, you go out drink fluid, and come back 3 hours later. you lay down in your clothes and a machine goes over you slowly. Its a little wierd when it goes across your head but it doesnt take that long. My husband stayed in the room with me. the easiest test Ive had.

I had a bone scan in August.
    I had a bone scan in August. I laid very still on a narrow bench, while the machine passed over me, very close to my body. It's not especially uncomfortable, but it does take a while. Oh, yes, first I had to come in 3 hours early for the radioactive treatment. Then came back for the scan. No pain or side effects.
  • kimber10
    kimber10 Member Posts: 47
    Options

I had a bone scan in August.
    I had a bone scan in August. I laid very still on a narrow bench, while the machine passed over me, very close to my body. It's not especially uncomfortable, but it does take a while. Oh, yes, first I had to come in 3 hours early for the radioactive treatment. Then came back for the scan. No pain or side effects.

Good to hear as I have one
    Good to hear as I have one scheduled for january 4th and they told me to make sure and wear something comfortable which I now equate to we are gonna do something painful and or uncomfortable so glad to know its not lol
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    kimber10 said:

Good to hear as I have one
    Good to hear as I have one scheduled for january 4th and they told me to make sure and wear something comfortable which I now equate to we are gonna do something painful and or uncomfortable so glad to know its not lol

Bone scan
    I think our oncologist's order these just to always be sure that everything is ok. With mine, it is standard protocol. They inject you with radioactive dye and then you come back in 3 hours for the actual test. Drink lots of water during that time to get the dye thru your whole body. You just lay on a metal table while the machine passes over you very slowly. It takes about an hour. Good luck!

Hugs, Diane ♥
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    DianeBC said:

Bone scan
    I think our oncologist's order these just to always be sure that everything is ok. With mine, it is standard protocol. They inject you with radioactive dye and then you come back in 3 hours for the actual test. Drink lots of water during that time to get the dye thru your whole body. You just lay on a metal table while the machine passes over you very slowly. It takes about an hour. Good luck!

Hugs, Diane ♥

I had one before surgery. It
    I had one before surgery. It was easy. They inject some dye into you and you have to wait a while. I went to lunch then came back. You just lay still on your back and this machine moves over the top of you a section at a time. its pretty open not like a MRI or anything. It scans your whole body. For me it was not a big deal at all. good Luch, hope it all turns out to be ok. Prayers and hugs
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    Kat11 said:

I had one before surgery. It
    I had one before surgery. It was easy. They inject some dye into you and you have to wait a while. I went to lunch then came back. You just lay still on your back and this machine moves over the top of you a section at a time. its pretty open not like a MRI or anything. It scans your whole body. For me it was not a big deal at all. good Luch, hope it all turns out to be ok. Prayers and hugs

This is the easiest test you
    This is the easiest test you will ever have. The others have already said what it is like. Nothing to fear and no pain involved. Good luck!

Sue :)
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    Ritzy said:

This is the easiest test you
    This is the easiest test you will ever have. The others have already said what it is like. Nothing to fear and no pain involved. Good luck!

Sue :)

Good luck with the scan
    Everyone has said all that I know. It is an easy test. My husband even sat right next to me in the room. Let us know your results!

Lex♥
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options
    This is not a difficult
    This is not a difficult scan. You just lay still. The results are very interesting to look at. Hope all is well. xoxoxoxo lynn
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Options
    lynn1950 said:

This is not a difficult
    This is not a difficult scan. You just lay still. The results are very interesting to look at. Hope all is well. xoxoxoxo lynn

How did your bone scan go?
    How did your bone scan go? Have you gotten the results yet, i also have been having some hip and leg pain, but it seems to be feeling better so i thought it may have been from all the Holiday going ons. I hate that every little ache or pain and i think "CANCER". take care