soy foods study

Options
cantthink
cantthink Member Posts: 36
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
http://sitemason.vanderbilt.edu/myvu/news/2009/12/14/soy-food-linked-to-decreased-risk-of-breast-cancer-recurrence-and-death.102305

This is a link to a recently published study on soy foods and breast cancer recurrence.
Thought some might be interested, what to eat during and after treatment is certainly bothering me! There are now two studies with similar results, not a lot, but it's a start.

The other one is mentioned in this article:
http://www.inspirehealth.ca/content/breast-cancer-survivors-shouldnt-shun-soy-foods

It's called the LACE study, it was done on women receiving tamoxofin in California. (If someone would tell me how to really put link in, I'd use it!)

Comments

• pgrace35
    pgrace35 Member Posts: 122
    Options
    Thanks so much for that info. Went to the site and found it very interesting. I have decided not to take tamoxifin after my radiation which coming up the first of the year. Want to do "alternative" measures and I'm always open for more findings. Appreicate you sharing.
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    Options
    pgrace35 said:

Thanks so much for that info. Went to the site and found it very interesting. I have decided not to take tamoxifin after my radiation which coming up the first of the year. Want to do "alternative" measures and I'm always open for more findings. Appreicate you sharing.

No soy for me.
    My cancer is supported by estrogen, so the oncologist wants me to avoid soy products because of the natural estrogen they contain. Since finding this out, I've been reading food labels more carefully. It's surprising how many foods contain soy in some form or another.
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Options

No soy for me.
    My cancer is supported by estrogen, so the oncologist wants me to avoid soy products because of the natural estrogen they contain. Since finding this out, I've been reading food labels more carefully. It's surprising how many foods contain soy in some form or another.

I'm finding this out! Being
    I'm finding this out! Being Celiac it is going to be vry difficilt for me since so many things contain some SOY! So GEEZ, no wheat,rye,barley, most oats unless they come from a mill that doesn't cross contaminate with wheat, and not much soy! ARRGH!
  • dmc_emmy
    dmc_emmy Member Posts: 549
    Options
    As a vegetarian...
    I really struggled with what I should and should not eat after being dx with ER-positive cancer. For a few months, I tried to stop eating soy all together and returning to my carnivorous days of nearly 35 years ago. However, this proved to be impossible and I had to make a decision as to how I should live out the rest of my life. I decided to be careful as to what I eat and to limit how much soy I consumed, but not to stop it completely. I also decided to stop all of my meds that were causing me extreme physical and mental anquish. Now, four years after my dx, I feel better than have felt in years. I am physically active, walking nearly everyday and exercising at the gym when I am not too exhausted from work.

I feel great and, though I know I am taking a risk, I have decided that I am much happier (and feel healthier) than I ever could have thought I would be post-cancer. I was declared to be cancer-free on Dec 11th of this year and, for now, that is all I ever wanted to hear. Will it come back? Possibly, but I have a chance of that happening whether I eat soy or not. I had a chance of that with, or without, the drugs.

We will always have to make choices, but that's the joy of being human.

dmc
  • cantthink
    cantthink Member Posts: 36
    Options
    dmc_emmy said:

As a vegetarian...
    I really struggled with what I should and should not eat after being dx with ER-positive cancer. For a few months, I tried to stop eating soy all together and returning to my carnivorous days of nearly 35 years ago. However, this proved to be impossible and I had to make a decision as to how I should live out the rest of my life. I decided to be careful as to what I eat and to limit how much soy I consumed, but not to stop it completely. I also decided to stop all of my meds that were causing me extreme physical and mental anquish. Now, four years after my dx, I feel better than have felt in years. I am physically active, walking nearly everyday and exercising at the gym when I am not too exhausted from work.

I feel great and, though I know I am taking a risk, I have decided that I am much happier (and feel healthier) than I ever could have thought I would be post-cancer. I was declared to be cancer-free on Dec 11th of this year and, for now, that is all I ever wanted to hear. Will it come back? Possibly, but I have a chance of that happening whether I eat soy or not. I had a chance of that with, or without, the drugs.

We will always have to make choices, but that's the joy of being human.

dmc

I was a vegan
    for many year, then this chemo thing, I started thinking I really needed to replace some of those lost "fast growing cells", salmon and chicken and turkey have been good, but just going back hasn't really worked, beef in particular is very strange now! And milk just seems wrong, am I alone on this?
    Since eating is one thing we really can control knowing as much as possible seems vital to me.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    cantthink said:

I was a vegan
    for many year, then this chemo thing, I started thinking I really needed to replace some of those lost "fast growing cells", salmon and chicken and turkey have been good, but just going back hasn't really worked, beef in particular is very strange now! And milk just seems wrong, am I alone on this?
    Since eating is one thing we really can control knowing as much as possible seems vital to me.

Soy
    I am trying to avoid soy if possible. My oncologist says that it is impossible to not get some soy because it is hidden in some foods. So, I just do the best that I can.

KYLEZ ♥