Hello my name is Linda and I have breast Cancer

Options
lhb200
lhb200 Member Posts: 14
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My breast cancer is back in the same breast that the ugly beast was in last time. After many test we know now it has not spread to other parts of my body. I am sooo thankful to God for that.
I see my surgeon on Jan 4th to talk about my mastsectomy . I am considering reconstruction at the time of my surgery. Waiting this week is so hard!! I have sooo many questions. Would you all be so kind as to give me some answers. I think sometimes we can answer questions better than our DRs. We are the ones who feel the pain and expreience the not knowing.
I will stay in the hospital one night. I know I will have a drainage tube, but with the lumpectomy I could not raise my arm to wash my hair for a long time!! Will I be able to bath myself. What is the pain level?? How long is the scar?? Will I be able to get out of the bed by myself?? I know these are simple questions, but that is what is bothering me. What kind of bra will I wear until my breast reaches is normal size??
Please and advise are hints are any thing to share would be deeply appreciated. I don't know any of you by name but I do pray for all of you and I pray each night fro all of us that have this ugly disease.
Thanks and God Bless!!!

Comments

• LC815
    LC815 Member Posts: 155
    Options
    So sorry it's back. You
    So sorry it's back. You beat the beast back once, you can certainly do it again!!

I had a mastectomy the first round, and the most important thing for recovery, I think, is physical therapy. You should have complete range of motion in a short period of time if you do PT.

My scarring is intense. But after awhile, I didn't even see them. My dear boyfriend could not have cared less. Life goes on and this is your body -- it is the shell that contains your soul. After my recon, I looked fabulous in a bra or bathing suit and tried to focus on that instead of the naked truth in the mirror.

Rely on your pain medications, and remember to take a stool softener as well (since they are very constipating). I remember having some pain about two weeks after my mastectomy and latissimus dorsi flap recon. I drove myself everywhere, but it was a bit uncomfortable getting out of bed. My plastic surgeon said to me, "You're a bit uncomfortable? You should have seen what we did to you!" I felt pretty lucky that I felt as good as I did.

I got some "vest bras" from Wal-Mart, I think, sort of sports bras that zipped up the front. There is a wonderful website run by the American Cancer Society called tlcdirect.com that has great products for recovery.

There is also a great book that I relied on quite a bit: "Uplift" by Barbara Delinsky. It's like a "Hints from Heloise" book that is a compilation of suggestions and support from BC survivors.

Here's the Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/Uplift-Secrets-Sisterhood-Breast-Survivors/dp/B001O9CF9K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261884153&sr=8-1

My name's Linda and I have breast cancer, too.
    Peace.
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Welcome, lhb200
    Am glad you found us, though so sorry for your recurrence.

My own surgery (6+ years ago) was lumpectomy; therefore, I cannot specifically address your questions and concerns.

My good wishes to you for your upcoming surgery. With hopes for the best possible outcome and speedy recovery.

Please visit us often, whenever you'd like or need to.

Kind regards,
    Susan
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    LC815 said:

So sorry it's back. You
    So sorry it's back. You beat the beast back once, you can certainly do it again!!

I had a mastectomy the first round, and the most important thing for recovery, I think, is physical therapy. You should have complete range of motion in a short period of time if you do PT.

My scarring is intense. But after awhile, I didn't even see them. My dear boyfriend could not have cared less. Life goes on and this is your body -- it is the shell that contains your soul. After my recon, I looked fabulous in a bra or bathing suit and tried to focus on that instead of the naked truth in the mirror.

Rely on your pain medications, and remember to take a stool softener as well (since they are very constipating). I remember having some pain about two weeks after my mastectomy and latissimus dorsi flap recon. I drove myself everywhere, but it was a bit uncomfortable getting out of bed. My plastic surgeon said to me, "You're a bit uncomfortable? You should have seen what we did to you!" I felt pretty lucky that I felt as good as I did.

I got some "vest bras" from Wal-Mart, I think, sort of sports bras that zipped up the front. There is a wonderful website run by the American Cancer Society called tlcdirect.com that has great products for recovery.

There is also a great book that I relied on quite a bit: "Uplift" by Barbara Delinsky. It's like a "Hints from Heloise" book that is a compilation of suggestions and support from BC survivors.

Here's the Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/Uplift-Secrets-Sisterhood-Breast-Survivors/dp/B001O9CF9K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261884153&sr=8-1

My name's Linda and I have breast cancer, too.
    Peace.

Welcome
    to the board.
    Sorry for your situation. Linda answered all of your questions.
    Your breast surgeon and your plastic surgeon will tell you when to see a physical therapist.
    They also give you some stretches to do at home to improve your arm range of motion.
    Recovery takes time and dedication and you can do it gradually until complete recovery.
    Good luck
  • Zhentup
    Zhentup Member Posts: 43
    Options
    It's Doable
    Hi,

I had a double mastectomy in mid November. With my family history I didn't want to take the chance of it coming back. My cancer was pretty fast growing as well and I just didn't want to go through it again.

My tumors and the lymph nodes involved were on the right side and I am able to wash my hair and bathe myself with just a stretching kind of pain. I understand that with determined stretches and careful exercises this will keep getting better each day. I am really glad that I didn't have the lymph nodes removed on the left side as well because then I think I would feel a bit crippled. My insurance doesn't allow PT so I have to rely on the exercises I've been given.

I'm sure everyone's scars are different. I have opted for no reconstruction because my insurance would only cover it for the breast with the cancer, not for the one I decided to have removed because of the odds of recurrence. Of course that didn't make much sense to me since I was saving them a bundle in the long run, but who ever said they had much common sense.

Take it easy on yourself and read-research and learn about the healing process. That's what keeps me going with dealing with my current level of discomfort. I understand it's a slow process and pushing it will only lengthen it. Needless to say I'm not going that route!

Be gentle with yourself and take care,
    Positive thoughts are being sent your way!
    Leanne
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    Options
    So sorry to hear your cancer
    So sorry to hear your cancer is back..

There are no simple questions. these are the things the doctors don't share with us as patients. We each have our own experiences. It depends on you age, you general health, ect.

for me... I had a double mastectomy. My bed is very high off ground so I had a little step stool next to my bed to get in. You will have difficulty putting your hands over your head. I was able to wash my own hair (with difficulty) The scars are not bad! I think the inticipation of what its going to look like is worse than what it looks like. As for a bra, I was not able to wear one for quite sometime. After the mastectomy you have a lot of pressure and pulling/streatching pain.

Pain.. hummm its a very person to person thing. I had pain but was able to manage it by medication. What I found worse was the tremendous pressure.

You fought and won once before and you'll do it again.. my heart goes out to you.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options

Welcome, lhb200
    Am glad you found us, though so sorry for your recurrence.

My own surgery (6+ years ago) was lumpectomy; therefore, I cannot specifically address your questions and concerns.

My good wishes to you for your upcoming surgery. With hopes for the best possible outcome and speedy recovery.

Please visit us often, whenever you'd like or need to.

Kind regards,
    Susan

Sorry
    I am so sorry that your bc came back. Your oncologist and plastic surgeon can answer all of these for you better than I could. Wishing you good luck!

Debby
  • Dot53
    Dot53 Member Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hi Linda
    I had a bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction on Dec 5. I still have not washed my own hair. My hubby washes it every couple of days for me. Honestly, the first time I cleaned up, put my makeup on and got dressed I finally felt human again. The dr said no showers until I go back this tuesday. I fill up my bathtub with a little water and get in and just sit... I keep my bra on however just to remind me not to get it wet.

I had a mastectomy bra on when I woke up from surgery and have taken it off to wash it. I also wear the one they gave when I had my reduction a few months ago. My drains came out last Wed (the doc said no exercise until the drains came out) but I also had more surgery that day to remove dead tissue so I just started my stretching exercises today.

The pain is manageable with the meds they give you. I finally stopped them last night and am only taking Advil. It's a bit uncomfortable but not bad...

As one of the other girls said, if your bed is high get a stool or do as I did and take it off the slats.. you may still need assistance getting in and out of it for a few days.

I wish you well... you can do it. We are all here rooting for you...

Dot
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    Dot53 said:

Hi Linda
    I had a bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction on Dec 5. I still have not washed my own hair. My hubby washes it every couple of days for me. Honestly, the first time I cleaned up, put my makeup on and got dressed I finally felt human again. The dr said no showers until I go back this tuesday. I fill up my bathtub with a little water and get in and just sit... I keep my bra on however just to remind me not to get it wet.

I had a mastectomy bra on when I woke up from surgery and have taken it off to wash it. I also wear the one they gave when I had my reduction a few months ago. My drains came out last Wed (the doc said no exercise until the drains came out) but I also had more surgery that day to remove dead tissue so I just started my stretching exercises today.

The pain is manageable with the meds they give you. I finally stopped them last night and am only taking Advil. It's a bit uncomfortable but not bad...

As one of the other girls said, if your bed is high get a stool or do as I did and take it off the slats.. you may still need assistance getting in and out of it for a few days.

I wish you well... you can do it. We are all here rooting for you...

Dot

Hi Linda and welcome. You
    Hi Linda and welcome. You have a great group here of bc survivors to help you. Just post and someone is always on. Good luck!

Leeza
  • TrSquirt
    TrSquirt Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Just had mastectomy last Wednesday the 23rd.
    I hope since it is so current in my life I can be of some help. I take a hydrocodone every 4 hours just to keep the pain from the tugging and muscles to a minimal. My breast incision itself is numb.
    But the biggest advice I have to share is how to carry around the crazy drains. They gave me 2 safety pins at the hospital and said here just pin it to yourself. Of course all I could imagine was the pins coming undone and puncturing the tubes. So when I got home I grabbed 1 of my lounge around the house type slipper socks and took a rubber band and made it smaller. Stuck the 2 plastic holders into the sick and then used a baby diaper pin to attach it to my body.
    This has worked so well. You will have to wipe along the tubes so any extra coming out at the time can get into the plastic holders. I just leave them in the sock until I'm done with that procedure. Then I take them out 1 by 1 and drain and measure. Then stick them both in the sock again.
    I have the stretching problems other mentioned but the doctor just wants to make sure I can keep putting my arm up and rest my hand on my head; otherwise nothing else till the tubes are out.
    I only had the left done but getting into bed still required help for the first few days because I could'nt pull at the covers. Now I can do it myself. it's funny when I have to say to my husband "tuck me in". My kids enjoy that part because they remember all the years I tucked them in.
    If you think of anymore questions please feel free to ask.
    Good Luck, Trudy
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    TrSquirt said:

Just had mastectomy last Wednesday the 23rd.
    I hope since it is so current in my life I can be of some help. I take a hydrocodone every 4 hours just to keep the pain from the tugging and muscles to a minimal. My breast incision itself is numb.
    But the biggest advice I have to share is how to carry around the crazy drains. They gave me 2 safety pins at the hospital and said here just pin it to yourself. Of course all I could imagine was the pins coming undone and puncturing the tubes. So when I got home I grabbed 1 of my lounge around the house type slipper socks and took a rubber band and made it smaller. Stuck the 2 plastic holders into the sick and then used a baby diaper pin to attach it to my body.
    This has worked so well. You will have to wipe along the tubes so any extra coming out at the time can get into the plastic holders. I just leave them in the sock until I'm done with that procedure. Then I take them out 1 by 1 and drain and measure. Then stick them both in the sock again.
    I have the stretching problems other mentioned but the doctor just wants to make sure I can keep putting my arm up and rest my hand on my head; otherwise nothing else till the tubes are out.
    I only had the left done but getting into bed still required help for the first few days because I could'nt pull at the covers. Now I can do it myself. it's funny when I have to say to my husband "tuck me in". My kids enjoy that part because they remember all the years I tucked them in.
    If you think of anymore questions please feel free to ask.
    Good Luck, Trudy

Hi Linda
    I just wanted to welcome you and tell you how sorry I am that you must once again go through it all. I can not help you with you question because I had a lumpectomy, but I wish you the best.
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Linda, I just wanted to
    Linda, I just wanted to welcome you. I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this once again. Please know we'll be with you every step of the way. I don't have any advice to offer, just the reassurance of support. Take care.
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

Linda, I just wanted to
    Linda, I just wanted to welcome you. I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this once again. Please know we'll be with you every step of the way. I don't have any advice to offer, just the reassurance of support. Take care.

So sorry Linda ♥
    I am so sorry Linda that your breast cancer is back. I have also had it twice now too, in 1985 and it returned this year as a new cancer in my other breast. I will be praying for you, and ofcourse, I am wishing you good luck with your treatment. You can do it Linda! Please keep us updated on how you are doing.

Love, Jeanne ♥
  • dmc_emmy
    dmc_emmy Member Posts: 549
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

So sorry Linda ♥
    I am so sorry Linda that your breast cancer is back. I have also had it twice now too, in 1985 and it returned this year as a new cancer in my other breast. I will be praying for you, and ofcourse, I am wishing you good luck with your treatment. You can do it Linda! Please keep us updated on how you are doing.

Love, Jeanne ♥

Linda, sorry that it came back...
    I know that this is my greatest fear. Then, I read posts from people like you and you sound so strong and brave and it gives me hope. After four years, I am still tender and it is difficult for me to wear a bra much less a prothesis. I was told that this happens to small % of women, so I invented my own solution to this small challenge. I don't use a prosthesis, but I use a cupped sports bra with a soft cotton T-shirt UNDER it. It is comfortable and it looks "normal." When I am not at work, I wear a loose-fitting soft sports bra and it doesn't hurt at all.

As for "discomfort," yes you will have some since the surgery is not a minor one (I don't know what surgery is "minor."). However, as was mentioned, PT works wonders and those pain pills are miracle drugs. In time, the pain will go away and, for most women-I understand, there is minimal or no discomfort in wearing a bra or prosthesis shortly afterwards. I was back at work after three weeks after my mastectomy. After surgery, I took the time I needed to recoup and didn't think about hurrying back to work.

I wish you well and, please, keep us updated on how you are doing.
    dmc
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    dmc_emmy said:

Linda, sorry that it came back...
    I know that this is my greatest fear. Then, I read posts from people like you and you sound so strong and brave and it gives me hope. After four years, I am still tender and it is difficult for me to wear a bra much less a prothesis. I was told that this happens to small % of women, so I invented my own solution to this small challenge. I don't use a prosthesis, but I use a cupped sports bra with a soft cotton T-shirt UNDER it. It is comfortable and it looks "normal." When I am not at work, I wear a loose-fitting soft sports bra and it doesn't hurt at all.

As for "discomfort," yes you will have some since the surgery is not a minor one (I don't know what surgery is "minor."). However, as was mentioned, PT works wonders and those pain pills are miracle drugs. In time, the pain will go away and, for most women-I understand, there is minimal or no discomfort in wearing a bra or prosthesis shortly afterwards. I was back at work after three weeks after my mastectomy. After surgery, I took the time I needed to recoup and didn't think about hurrying back to work.

I wish you well and, please, keep us updated on how you are doing.
    dmc

Hi
    Hi and welcome Linda. I am sorry that your cancer has returned. It is what we all fear. But, there are several on here like Jeanne and Re that have gotten thru it and are living great lives. I am sending you lots of prayers and good thoughts!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • tat2granny
    tat2granny Member Posts: 77
    Options
    susie09 said:

Hi
    Hi and welcome Linda. I am sorry that your cancer has returned. It is what we all fear. But, there are several on here like Jeanne and Re that have gotten thru it and are living great lives. I am sending you lots of prayers and good thoughts!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣

Hi there
    Thank you Linda for your post. I haven't had surgery yet and you asked the questions I was going to. Glad I read your post. Like the others I'm so sorry to have you here, but if you're like me,, thank God for all of the ladies here. Everyone has been so kind to answer all my questions, don't know what I'd do without everyone here. I hope all goes well with you and I'll say a prayer for you along with everyone else who has to face this "Beast" we call breast cancer!Keep us informed!! Sending love and hugs your way!!
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    Options

Hi there
    Thank you Linda for your post. I haven't had surgery yet and you asked the questions I was going to. Glad I read your post. Like the others I'm so sorry to have you here, but if you're like me,, thank God for all of the ladies here. Everyone has been so kind to answer all my questions, don't know what I'd do without everyone here. I hope all goes well with you and I'll say a prayer for you along with everyone else who has to face this "Beast" we call breast cancer!Keep us informed!! Sending love and hugs your way!!

Hey Linda
    So sorry the beast came back, but thank GOD it's contained in the SAME area and can be entirely removed! I had a mastectomy in July and it's been a long process to get to where I am now, but I can say very little pain was involved in the whole thing. Some discomfort, and some weird moments, but hardly any pain. The worst was the injections of the nuclear crap right before the surgery. Make SURE they put you out first! There is another thread on here about it, I suggest you read it if they have to do the injections to determine the lymph node involvement.

Good luck ! and God bless.

My Name is Lorraine and I have Breast Cancer, BUMMER!!!!