MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE

Nicksangels
Nicksangels Member Posts: 41
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
SOME OF MAY REMEMBER ME MY 84YEAR OLD DAD HAS RECTUM CANCER. WELL HE HAS HAD THE SURGERY DEC.9TH. IT WAS A LONG OPERATION, THANK GOD HE DID VERY WELL. HE WILL HAVE A PERNAMENT COLOSPY BAG. HE IS DEALING OK WITH BUT IT HAS LEAKED A FEW TIMES AND THAT UPSETS HIM VERY MUCH. HE IS IN REHAB RIGHT NOW TO GET STRONGER WHICH HE IS EVERYDAY. HIS APPETITE IS AVERAGE AND HE HAS LOST ABOUT 13 PDS. HOSPITAL FOOD ISNT THE BEST, SO WE BRING HIM FOOD HE LIKES. WILL THINGS GET EASIER FOR HIM. ANY WORDS OF WISDOM WORD BE HELPFUL. SOMEONE TOLD ME ABOUT SPECIAL UNDERWEAR HE CAN GET WHICH CAN HELP WITH LEAKS. ANYWAY HAVE A BLESSED HOLIDAY AND HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON.. SPECIAL HELLO TO MY FRIEND BUZZARD AKA CLIFF LISA

Comments

• tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Merry Christmas
    I don't have a bag, so I can't help you, but I just wanted to say I'm glad his surgery went well and hope things get easier soon.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Hi Sweetheart......
    Im glad that he's doing fine. You said that he leaks sometime ? Does he use a reusable pouch or what type. Shouldn't be any leakage unless he's leaving it on to long. It should be changed every other day. PM me or post up in here what he uses and we'll see why there is a leakage problem. It should be minimal at its worse...Are you doing ok also ? I think it sounds as you are. You are a Godsend to him....At 87 I would also let him eat about what he wants.
    if it has nuts in it make sure he chews them up really good, they kinda smart at the other end. Ice cream, peanut butter, etc...anything to put the pounds on him...The elders use to cook everything in lard and I know that this may send a few health addicts (and I mean that in a good way) throwing darts at me, but if he wants a greasy hamburger, or a big piece of fried chicken, or white beans with hog jowl in it.. I say he deserves it! and you yourself need something special for yourself...you need to indulge in something special for yourself, I'm sure you deserve it also. Caregivers often always suffer worse than their patients do.....Love and Hope to you both.......and I'll talk with you again soon.....Clift
  • Fight for my love
    Fight for my love Member Posts: 1,522 Member
    I guess your dad is still
    I guess your dad is still new to the bag and not used to it yet.It takes a while to get used to it even for the young people.My husband has a pouch too,his surgery was done in Sep.For the last over 3 months,he has been trying very hard to get used to it.Leakage happened a couple of times too to my husband,luckily it happened at home.Leackage happened mainly because the wafer was not attched on his skin very well,it just somehow didn't seal very well.I think with time,the more practice you have,the more experienced you are,the less accident may happen.Another thing is your dad has to try different types of supplies until he finds the most suitable for himself.There are many colostomy supply companies,believe it or not,they all give people free samples.So please encourage your dad to try different things,he will find the most comfortable supply for himself.Best wishes and best luck to your dad.Happy holidays.
  • Nicksangels
    Nicksangels Member Posts: 41
    Buzzard said:

Hi Sweetheart......
    Im glad that he's doing fine. You said that he leaks sometime ? Does he use a reusable pouch or what type. Shouldn't be any leakage unless he's leaving it on to long. It should be changed every other day. PM me or post up in here what he uses and we'll see why there is a leakage problem. It should be minimal at its worse...Are you doing ok also ? I think it sounds as you are. You are a Godsend to him....At 87 I would also let him eat about what he wants.
    if it has nuts in it make sure he chews them up really good, they kinda smart at the other end. Ice cream, peanut butter, etc...anything to put the pounds on him...The elders use to cook everything in lard and I know that this may send a few health addicts (and I mean that in a good way) throwing darts at me, but if he wants a greasy hamburger, or a big piece of fried chicken, or white beans with hog jowl in it.. I say he deserves it! and you yourself need something special for yourself...you need to indulge in something special for yourself, I'm sure you deserve it also. Caregivers often always suffer worse than their patients do.....Love and Hope to you both.......and I'll talk with you again soon.....Clift

Thanks for the replies...
    Hi Clift, My dad is using the brand Hollister, The detachable kind, with the base and u throw out the bag. He still hasnt done it himself. it leaked once in the hospital and once at rehab facility, truthfully I dont think they change it enough, I got mad at one of the aides to change it for him. plus i told my dad he needs to learn too. My dad has 3 daughters and a son and we have all been with him each day from the start. He can get cranky at times. I hope he will be able to go home soon. The rest of his stitches are coming out Thursday, so well see from that. We brought him french fries and burgers and pasta and meatballs, so hopefully he will gain the weight. We his girls are losing weight from all the running but thats ok. How long did it take for you to feel yourself again, I wish i had a crystal ball to see if this was truly the right choice. How are you feeling? I love your pic. At your computer helping others Im sure. Thanks for listening. God Bless Lisa
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342

I guess your dad is still
    I guess your dad is still new to the bag and not used to it yet.It takes a while to get used to it even for the young people.My husband has a pouch too,his surgery was done in Sep.For the last over 3 months,he has been trying very hard to get used to it.Leakage happened a couple of times too to my husband,luckily it happened at home.Leackage happened mainly because the wafer was not attched on his skin very well,it just somehow didn't seal very well.I think with time,the more practice you have,the more experienced you are,the less accident may happen.Another thing is your dad has to try different types of supplies until he finds the most suitable for himself.There are many colostomy supply companies,believe it or not,they all give people free samples.So please encourage your dad to try different things,he will find the most comfortable supply for himself.Best wishes and best luck to your dad.Happy holidays.

Hi Lisa!
    I'm glad to hear that your dad is doing well, and with me having a bag, I know a little bit about leakage as well. It's not fun waking up to a bag busted, or leaking at the sides, but they can be prevented, that's for sure. He just needs to find the right appliance for him, and maybe if he used the paste, it may help him more as well. I use the paste, and have had less leakage, it really seems to hold onto the wafer really well, and I now very rarely have any kind of leakage, or bags coming off. I've had my colostomy for 10 months now and have gotten pretty used to it, I don't mind it at all :)

Hugsss!
    ~Donna