Question regarding hormone shots...

Options
HollyID
HollyID Member Posts: 946 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi guys... just a quick question.

I asked my surgeon, and he didn't know and I don't see my onc (for the 1st time) until the 11th of January, but wanted to know anyway...

I've been on depo-provera for about 3 or 3.5 years now because I used to hemorrhage (not literally) during my periods. This has caused a cessation of periods, which I love.

But, my question is: my depo shot is due the end of December. Do I dare get the shot or let it go because it could interfere with the chemo?

I trust your advice whatever you give. :)

Comments

• grammadebbie
    grammadebbie Member Posts: 464
    Options
    Hi Holly,
    I had a

Hi Holly,

I had a hysterectomy 1 year prior to the cancer diagnosis and was on hormone patches. After cancer diagnoses I had to discontinue. The oncologist said that hormone replacement is thought to increase the recurrence of cancer in colon cancer patients. You could call your oncologists office and speak to someone there. I'm glad you thought of it before you went ahead and got the depo. It's important to check everything with your doctor now. Hope this is helpful to you. Glad you found this wonderful semi colon family. It's so helpful.

God Bless You,

Debbie (gramma)
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Options
    Don't have a clue
    Sorry I can't offer any advise on this but you might check with your doctor giving you the shot in advance of your visit as to what you should do so he/she is prepared for when you come in. I'm sure you are not the first one in this situation. There might be an alternative for you to take and your doc can do some research before your visit. I used to take HRT pills several years back but when the news got out that the pills were not good for you I stopped taking them and the hot flashes returned with a vengence. Those little pills were truly wonder pills but I decided they were not worth the risk even though my doc thought it would be ok to continue.

Google depo-provera and see what some of the web sites say, might be some information on there for you.

Do you know your chemo drugs? I looked at your bio, what stage are you?

Take care - Tina
  • HollyID
    Options
    geotina said:

Don't have a clue
    Sorry I can't offer any advise on this but you might check with your doctor giving you the shot in advance of your visit as to what you should do so he/she is prepared for when you come in. I'm sure you are not the first one in this situation. There might be an alternative for you to take and your doc can do some research before your visit. I used to take HRT pills several years back but when the news got out that the pills were not good for you I stopped taking them and the hot flashes returned with a vengence. Those little pills were truly wonder pills but I decided they were not worth the risk even though my doc thought it would be ok to continue.

Google depo-provera and see what some of the web sites say, might be some information on there for you.

Do you know your chemo drugs? I looked at your bio, what stage are you?

Take care - Tina

Hi Tina...
    I have no idea what my chemo drugs are going to be. I'm a stage III. Thanks for suggesting google. I didn't even think of that. I also have a resource at work I can look at; even though I'm not back to work yet, I can always pop in and look. Wouldn't hurt to talk to a pharmacist, either. :) I just don't want to do anything contraindicated with the chemo.

It's very, very vague, but something tells me from my past education that hormones play havoc with chemo drugs. It could have been a dream, but I don't think so. :)
  • HollyID
    Options

Hi Holly,
    I had a

Hi Holly,

I had a hysterectomy 1 year prior to the cancer diagnosis and was on hormone patches. After cancer diagnoses I had to discontinue. The oncologist said that hormone replacement is thought to increase the recurrence of cancer in colon cancer patients. You could call your oncologists office and speak to someone there. I'm glad you thought of it before you went ahead and got the depo. It's important to check everything with your doctor now. Hope this is helpful to you. Glad you found this wonderful semi colon family. It's so helpful.

God Bless You,

Debbie (gramma)

Just what I thought...
    Thank you! I think I'm just gonna bag it until I talk to my onc. If he says it's OK, I can always take it late. I'm not using it for birth control, just to control my periods. Thanks again! I love this site!
  • jillpls
    jillpls Member Posts: 238
    Options
    I'm on the patch
    HI, After my chemo and radiation treatments, surgery and more chemo, I went into menopause so fast I had hot flashes and sleepless nights constantly. I checked with my onc and he said it was ok to put me on the patch. I'm on 40/150 I think. Low dose. I had already had a recurrance so I guess my doc thought it wouldn't hurt. Still on it and sleeping much better.
    JIll
  • Julie 44
    Julie 44 Member Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    jillpls said:

I'm on the patch
    HI, After my chemo and radiation treatments, surgery and more chemo, I went into menopause so fast I had hot flashes and sleepless nights constantly. I checked with my onc and he said it was ok to put me on the patch. I'm on 40/150 I think. Low dose. I had already had a recurrance so I guess my doc thought it wouldn't hurt. Still on it and sleeping much better.
    JIll

Depo
    I am still on the depo shot have been for 8 years now...My oncologist said that there is a strong possiblity that the chemo has made it so I won't get pregnant again..I said can he guarentee that 100% he said No than I asked if he is willing to adopt and he said no then I said well I am still going to stay on the Depo and he said ok...lol lol I have had no problems with chemo and the depo..Good luck with your treatments..JULIE
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    Sorry
    I'm not sure about that as I went into menopause before diagnosis. You should call your onc before discontinuing it just to make sure. Hope all goes well.

Kim
  • HollyID
    Options
    Julie 44 said:

Depo
    I am still on the depo shot have been for 8 years now...My oncologist said that there is a strong possiblity that the chemo has made it so I won't get pregnant again..I said can he guarentee that 100% he said No than I asked if he is willing to adopt and he said no then I said well I am still going to stay on the Depo and he said ok...lol lol I have had no problems with chemo and the depo..Good luck with your treatments..JULIE

I LOL'd at your post!!
    It really made my day! I agree... if he won't adopt... LOL

Thanks so much for your reply!
  • HollyID
    Options
    jillpls said:

I'm on the patch
    JIll

My sleep has really sucked...
    ever since surgery. I'm a night person, too. :) Hopefully, it will only be a bad memory in a couple of months. LOL

Thanks Jill...
  • HollyID
    Options

Sorry
    I'm not sure about that as I went into menopause before diagnosis. You should call your onc before discontinuing it just to make sure. Hope all goes well.

Kim

Thanks Kim!
    I've also been wondering if this would send me into menopause. Who knows?! :)

Thank you!
  • Julie 44
    Julie 44 Member Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    HollyID said:

Thanks Kim!
    I've also been wondering if this would send me into menopause. Who knows?! :)

Thank you!

Good Try
    Holly,
    Thats wishfull thinking about going into menopause early..Some women do but they are alittle older than we are..I am assuming we are close in age around 40ish ish ish???? I thought I was going through it durning treatment but doc says its only temperary no such luck still to young..But we can always hope and dream can't we..lol lol...JULIE