Questions for Oncologist

minermom
minermom Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Background:

I had a lumpectomy Nov. 30, 1.4cm grade 9 tumor with clean margins and no lymph node involvement. It was followed with Xoft Brachytherapy for radiation. I have triple negative bc. I just turned 57 and have type 2 diabetes.

Now it's time to meet with the oncologist to determine my chemo plan. Give me your best suggestions of questions to ask. The more I read about chemo the more frightened I become and the less I seem able to comprehend.

BTW, my sis was just diagnosed Dec. 12 with bc. And we have no family history! We don't know yet if she's hormone receptive or triple negative.

God bless,
Lee Ann

Comments

• Sally48
    Sally48 Member Posts: 5
    Ongologist questions
    I was diagnosed with a stage one triple negative "apocrine invasive cancer" This is not a normal triple negative as the cancer is not an aggressive cell and they have no studies on this. It is like 4 in 4,000 have this. As a result my ongologists (I had two opinions) are recommending taxotere and cytroxan, 1 time every 3 weeks for a total of 4 treatments starting on 05JAN and followed by radiation.

There has been a study that the TC regime is as effective or more so that the traditional
    ACT (Adamycin Cytoxan and Taxol). Adamycin is the drug that can effect your heart long term. (go to breastcancer.org for the study.

I too am scared because I hate the idea of making myself sick on the come that there is a possible cancer cell floating out there. I am having a very hard time getting my arms around accepting the chemo.

But to your question regarding what to ask. You want to know how this effects your over all future health because of your diabetes. Ask what is your estimated benefit from chemo in terms of recurrence. This means Survival (Disease-free and overall surival (5years? 10 Years and 15 years?) Ask about the long term side effects. Ask what is your estimated overall survival without adjuvant chemo.

Of course you want to know the full extent of your pathology report. What is your grade,
    what is your stage, how aggressive is your type of cancer cells.

Get as much info on all side effects (you may have none or just some of them) and what drugs they will give you to counteract these side effects.

Ask about follow up screening. Ask is you have a recurence how would it be detected, how would it effect you and what treatments would be available if you have a recurrence.

Be sure to bring all medicines you take, supplements and/or vitamins for the oncologist to see.

Don't be afraid to get a second opinion if you do not click with your oncologist. I did and I am changing from UCSF to a private oncology clinic because I felt more comfortable with the new oncologist.

I hope this helps you and I am sure more people will advise you further.

Good luck with all this it is overwhelming.

Sally
  • minermom
    minermom Member Posts: 8
    Sally48 said:

Ongologist questions
    I was diagnosed with a stage one triple negative "apocrine invasive cancer" This is not a normal triple negative as the cancer is not an aggressive cell and they have no studies on this. It is like 4 in 4,000 have this. As a result my ongologists (I had two opinions) are recommending taxotere and cytroxan, 1 time every 3 weeks for a total of 4 treatments starting on 05JAN and followed by radiation.

There has been a study that the TC regime is as effective or more so that the traditional
    ACT (Adamycin Cytoxan and Taxol). Adamycin is the drug that can effect your heart long term. (go to breastcancer.org for the study.

I too am scared because I hate the idea of making myself sick on the come that there is a possible cancer cell floating out there. I am having a very hard time getting my arms around accepting the chemo.

But to your question regarding what to ask. You want to know how this effects your over all future health because of your diabetes. Ask what is your estimated benefit from chemo in terms of recurrence. This means Survival (Disease-free and overall surival (5years? 10 Years and 15 years?) Ask about the long term side effects. Ask what is your estimated overall survival without adjuvant chemo.

Of course you want to know the full extent of your pathology report. What is your grade,
    what is your stage, how aggressive is your type of cancer cells.

Get as much info on all side effects (you may have none or just some of them) and what drugs they will give you to counteract these side effects.

Ask about follow up screening. Ask is you have a recurence how would it be detected, how would it effect you and what treatments would be available if you have a recurrence.

Be sure to bring all medicines you take, supplements and/or vitamins for the oncologist to see.

Don't be afraid to get a second opinion if you do not click with your oncologist. I did and I am changing from UCSF to a private oncology clinic because I felt more comfortable with the new oncologist.

I hope this helps you and I am sure more people will advise you further.

Good luck with all this it is overwhelming.

Sally

Thanks Sally.
    It's a grade 9

Thanks Sally.

It's a grade 9 stage 1 tumor. All indications are that it's extremely aggressive with a high risk of recurrence. That's why many of my questions are the same ones you posed. I wonder how my risk will change with chemo, whether it's better to sit and wait. I've met the oncologist before and liked him, but we had a brief meeting before my surgery so he didn't have all the pathology report. At that time he thought we'd do 4 treatments 3 weeks apart but wouldn't suggest what drugs to use until he saw the final reports.

I've written down your questions, thanks for helping me sort out my thoughts.

God bless,
    Lee Ann
  • Kathy09
    Kathy09 Member Posts: 99
    Expect
    Can't tell you what to expect. That is one thing they say is true for sure (EVERYONE REACTS DIFFERENT TO CHEMO). The first time I had a strong dose and went thru it with no problem, it was the second round of the lighter stuff that got the best of me. It is all bad, but it serves a purpose I guess.
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    Kathy09 said:

Expect
    Can't tell you what to expect. That is one thing they say is true for sure (EVERYONE REACTS DIFFERENT TO CHEMO). The first time I had a strong dose and went thru it with no problem, it was the second round of the lighter stuff that got the best of me. It is all bad, but it serves a purpose I guess.

and I on the other hand....
    had a rough time with the A/C treatments and am breezing through the Taxol.
    My sister had triple negative and there is a website (http://www.tnbcfoundation.org/index.html)she referred to quite a bit. Mine is only 5% positive, but thanks for
    asking your question, because now I have so many more to ask. I'm afraid to ask the ones about survival rate. So far my onc hasn't said anything but POSITIVE, so I'm taking that as a "YES YOU CAN BEAT THIS CRAP!"
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Mama G said:

and I on the other hand....
    had a rough time with the A/C treatments and am breezing through the Taxol.
    My sister had triple negative and there is a website (http://www.tnbcfoundation.org/index.html)she referred to quite a bit. Mine is only 5% positive, but thanks for
    asking your question, because now I have so many more to ask. I'm afraid to ask the ones about survival rate. So far my onc hasn't said anything but POSITIVE, so I'm taking that as a "YES YOU CAN BEAT THIS CRAP!"

If you go to the Susan B.
    If you go to the Susan B. Komen site and also on this site, there are questions to ask your oncologist on everything. Good luck!

Leeza