Holiday Traditions

Gloria09
Gloria09 Member Posts: 190
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
There were a couple of gals that replied to this older post but I think it got lost in the shuffle, Hope you don;t mind me posting it again ... I really like to hear what others do.

For those who celebrate Christmas ... tell us what kind of tree you have and any family traditions you have.

Those who do not celebrate Christmas ... tell us what you do celebrate and how.

Tree - Today (Dec 13) we went to get our Christmas tree. A little later than in the past but growing up my parents usually waited for my birthday to get our tree so this feels like the good ole' times. I love the real trees, how the pine smell fills the house. However I'm really liking the tall narrow artificial trees too. So when the time, the price and a storage place all line up I will get three tall trees (different heights) to place together in a corner and maybe get a baby table top Charlie Brown tree for the fresh pine scent.

Tradition - when my daughter was growing up each year I would buy her a special ornament that would signify something she did that year, example ... ice skater the year she started ice skating lessons, the number 5 for the year she turned five, a sleigh for the first year she went sledding etc. Once we put the tree up and lights on I would give her the new ornament to unwrap and it would be the first one to go on the tree. When she moved out and had a Christmas tree in her own place I gave her those ornaments for her to keep. She was so happy to receive them.

Merry Christmas!
Happy Hanukkah!
Happy Kwanzaa!

Comments

• meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    i also used to buy my kids
    i also used to buy my kids an ornament each year, but i stopped a couple years ago, it seemed like they outgrew it. On Christmas eve, they get to open new jammies to wear for Christmas morning pictures. On Christmas morning we have Maple sausages with breakfast, and now that my 2 kids are older, we sleep in then have Mimosas with breakfast! I have the Asti ready! Then an open house for family with lots of food and fun. This Christmas may be white since we are having a blizzard today, but the traditions will be the same. Now that i read your post, i am thinking about starting the ornament tradition again. My daughter just gave me on today, i love the movie "its a Wonderful Christmas", and she gave me an ornament of an angel, it says "everytime a bell rings, an angel gets its wings" . Take care..
  • 1surfermom
    1surfermom Member Posts: 396 Member
    meena1 said:

i also used to buy my kids
    i also used to buy my kids an ornament each year, but i stopped a couple years ago, it seemed like they outgrew it. On Christmas eve, they get to open new jammies to wear for Christmas morning pictures. On Christmas morning we have Maple sausages with breakfast, and now that my 2 kids are older, we sleep in then have Mimosas with breakfast! I have the Asti ready! Then an open house for family with lots of food and fun. This Christmas may be white since we are having a blizzard today, but the traditions will be the same. Now that i read your post, i am thinking about starting the ornament tradition again. My daughter just gave me on today, i love the movie "its a Wonderful Christmas", and she gave me an ornament of an angel, it says "everytime a bell rings, an angel gets its wings" . Take care..

Christmas Traditions
    In my family we always go to church on Christmas Eve. We attend the childrens mass and when we get home we have a light dinner of hors d'oeurves . When my children were babies I started a tradition that we still do today. When it is time to go to bed, we read the Polar Express book followed by the Night Before Christmas. Even though my kids are 16 and 11 they still insist that we read the books together, we all take turns reading and it is really a great way to reconnect with one another. When the kids are in their rooms, my husband and I take out all the gifts and place them under the tree. So when they wake up Christmas morning they are really surprised. This has been such an awful year for us, I was diagnosed in Feb.09 and the economy has been brutal. I am so looking forward to a peaceful and happy Christmas. Love Surf