fiancee with colon cancer

Options
2»

Comments

• krf
    krf Member Posts: 98
    Options
    Hi- my husband was DX at the
    Hi- my husband was DX at the end of July with stage IV- so our paths are quite different but I have a few ideas that have helped me as a caregiver:
    I got a small accordion file that I carry with me to all appointsments. I have a single subject notebook that I use to write questions as they come up and check them off at appointments,. WHen we were in the hospital I wrote down what meds he got and when.
    Each treatment they will start with bloodwork and I ask for a printout of the results. I keep that in the file folder as well as copies of all his scans (ask at every CT, MRI, etc.), the cards they give us with side effects, insurance information, and the appointment cards.
    It has helped me to feel empowered.
    We also have a small hand held recording device that I haven't yet used, but I might. SO far I am an excellent note taker, it keeps my hands busy.
    Sorry you are going through this!
    Kim
  • luca
    luca Member Posts: 1
    Options
    krf said:

Hi- my husband was DX at the
    Hi- my husband was DX at the end of July with stage IV- so our paths are quite different but I have a few ideas that have helped me as a caregiver:
    I got a small accordion file that I carry with me to all appointsments. I have a single subject notebook that I use to write questions as they come up and check them off at appointments,. WHen we were in the hospital I wrote down what meds he got and when.
    Each treatment they will start with bloodwork and I ask for a printout of the results. I keep that in the file folder as well as copies of all his scans (ask at every CT, MRI, etc.), the cards they give us with side effects, insurance information, and the appointment cards.
    It has helped me to feel empowered.
    We also have a small hand held recording device that I haven't yet used, but I might. SO far I am an excellent note taker, it keeps my hands busy.
    Sorry you are going through this!
    Kim

gigiann here with question
    My fiancee has had chronic diarrhea since his first treatment last week. He eats bananas, applesauce, rice and drinks lots of water. He takes Immodium, Matamucil and Tums for heartburt. The diarrhea will not let up! His treatment cocktail is oxaliplatin,(sp) leucovorin and 5FU. Does anyone have any suggestions that might help? I'm at my wits end...

Thank you very much,

Gigiann
  • ann2008
    ann2008 Member Posts: 118
    Options
    luca said:

gigiann here with question
    My fiancee has had chronic diarrhea since his first treatment last week. He eats bananas, applesauce, rice and drinks lots of water. He takes Immodium, Matamucil and Tums for heartburt. The diarrhea will not let up! His treatment cocktail is oxaliplatin,(sp) leucovorin and 5FU. Does anyone have any suggestions that might help? I'm at my wits end...

Thank you very much,

Gigiann

Diarrhea
    What part of his colon was removed? I had 10" of last part of colon removed. This part reabsorbs water so...since I do not reabsorb the water my stools are usually loose to liquid. During chemo it was worse. There are other diarrhea meds that may help. Lomotil or Kaopectate. Also if he can drink something with electrolytes in it such as gatorade or such that might keep him from getting dehydrated. Please let his Dr/nurses know. They are another wealth of info most of the time.
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator