How do you deal with numbness after mastectomy???????

jarsam
jarsam Member Posts: 13
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi again. I am deciding on having either a bilateral mastectomy or a second lumpectomy (right breast done 2 weeks ago) now left breast tumor was just found. My biggest fear with mastectomy is the numbness/no feeling. I hate being numb. My underarm is numb now because of lympnodes taken out.

For those of you that have had a mastectomy is it true and how do you deal with it? I do have an appointment to talk with a plastic surgeon but curious how you deal with the numbness. I can't even stand novacaine in my mouth. Is it terrible? Was anyone else worried about this and it turned out to be better then expected. Even during a c section I almost went crazy because I couldn't feel my body.

Thanks again in advance for all of your help
Michele

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I had a right modified
    I had a right modified radical mastectomy and 15 nodes removed. I found the numbness was an advantage because when he pulled out the drains I didn't feel a thing. I just didn't think of the numbmess as a problem. But that's me. It gradually has feeling again which for me is a little sensitive.
  • jarsam
    adding to my original post
    I also would have immediate reconstruction.
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    jarsam said:

adding to my original post
    I also would have immediate reconstruction.

Hi Michele. I had a
    Hi Michele. I had a lumpectomy, but, I wanted to wish you good luck and to let you know that I am sending you prayers and hugs!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • Tinabug
    Tinabug Member Posts: 158
    Numbness
    Hi Michele,
    I had a bilateral mastectomy on Nov 23rd & so far the numbness in my chest hasn't bothered me. However, the numbness under my arm does bother me like your's does. Of course, I'm am less then 4 wks out so my chest could get worse. I have been thankful for the numbness when they removed the drains & the 2 times I've had to have fluid drained. I am thankful I didn't know about the numbness before my surgery. Although, I had much rather deal with the numbness under my arm then with the thought of cancer still being in my body. Best of luck to you.

Tina
  • Calleen
    Calleen Member Posts: 411
    Tinabug said:

Numbness
    Hi Michele,
    I had a bilateral mastectomy on Nov 23rd & so far the numbness in my chest hasn't bothered me. However, the numbness under my arm does bother me like your's does. Of course, I'm am less then 4 wks out so my chest could get worse. I have been thankful for the numbness when they removed the drains & the 2 times I've had to have fluid drained. I am thankful I didn't know about the numbness before my surgery. Although, I had much rather deal with the numbness under my arm then with the thought of cancer still being in my body. Best of luck to you.

Tina

I had
    a double masectomy with immediate reconsturction using my body tissue (July 29th).. I kinda felt like the numbness as a blessing because since the nerves were cut I didn't have any pain.. I do admit it feels a bit creepy but I'll take it it's better than worrying about the cancer inside me.. I have more numbness on my cancer breast than the non caner one.. The feelings are graduly coming back and it feels like little tiny shocks of electricty.. at first I didn't know what it was then when I found out it made sense...
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Calleen said:

I had
    a double masectomy with immediate reconsturction using my body tissue (July 29th).. I kinda felt like the numbness as a blessing because since the nerves were cut I didn't have any pain.. I do admit it feels a bit creepy but I'll take it it's better than worrying about the cancer inside me.. I have more numbness on my cancer breast than the non caner one.. The feelings are graduly coming back and it feels like little tiny shocks of electricty.. at first I didn't know what it was then when I found out it made sense...

I had a lot of numbness, but
    I had a lot of numbness, but it is not terribly uncomforatable. Just strange. It does go away somewhat, but i think that you just get used to it, just like everything else, it becomes the new normal. Take care.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    I had a mod. rad. mastectomy
    I had a mod. rad. mastectomy done Oct. 21, 2009. I had numbness over just about the entire surgery area and it running down upper arm immediately. Almost all the feeling is back now though. The area that is still numb is under armpit (no wider that arm pit and down about 3") along body for a short way. Honestly the only time I notice it, is when I bathe and bath mitt goes over it but can't feel it. Other times, arm is down over the area and it gives sensory input.
  • stillgood
    stillgood Member Posts: 46
    Rague said:

I had a mod. rad. mastectomy
    I had a mod. rad. mastectomy done Oct. 21, 2009. I had numbness over just about the entire surgery area and it running down upper arm immediately. Almost all the feeling is back now though. The area that is still numb is under armpit (no wider that arm pit and down about 3") along body for a short way. Honestly the only time I notice it, is when I bathe and bath mitt goes over it but can't feel it. Other times, arm is down over the area and it gives sensory input.

I had a bilateral mastectomy
    I had a bilateral mastectomy 7 years ago. My underarms are still kind of numb. Over the years some feeling has come back. I remember I started using spray deodorant because I didn't like the non-feeling of using the stick. It's was and still is kind of weird feeling when shaving. Kind of thinking that I'll cut myself because I don't have total feeling. Never happened but you know how your mind will make things be true. Hope all works out for you. What I have found is that you just get use to the new stuff that comes with being a survivor. It becomes the norm. Take care of yourself.
  • blazytracy
    blazytracy Member Posts: 157
    Hi Michele
    I had a right side mod radical masectomy with 24 lymph nodes removed on Sept 24th...Yes, the numbness is still VERY present both on the underside of my right arm and on the right side of my body armpit and down.
    I am also dealing with lymphedema which, in itself, is not fun!! The numbness doesn't bother me much (I also had a C-section by the way) After a masectomy, your underarm feels different parts of your body with no breast there, that will be your new norm.
    I think I would be fine if not for the lymphedema - I am getting lymphatic massages and also she is massaging my breast scar as to loosen it up because it had hardened.
    I wouldn't worry too much about the numbness..according to a lot of posts on here, I guess most of the feeling does come back eventually - good luck with whatever you decide.
  • TLynn0102
    TLynn0102 Member Posts: 86
    Bilattteral Numbness
    Hi Michele!
    I loved your question! I had the same one and learned a few things from the posts the ladies added. I can only tell you what my experience is having the bilatteral with DIEP Flap reconstruction. My bilatteral was in June of 2008 with the reconstruction in January of 2009. The first surgery was not that bad. There was numbness in my sides from the drain sites but the rest of the area felt okay. There was some feeling around where the breasts were and there was no pain. In January I had the DIEP Flap where they used my stomach fat and skin to recreate The Girls. It will be a year in January and I am just starting to get some of the feeling back...a lot of the time it is nerve pain and not sensation related. I found that taking Vitamin B6 helps with the nerve pain a lot and it is decreasing. There is some feeling coming back in the chest area which I am told is odd and under my arms things are getting better. I had to laugh at the shaving comment posted, I have the same fear! In time it will get better but there is a lot of scar tissue that needs to heal and soften. Vitamin E cream or Gold Bond lotion works great. I fell for the BC Scar repair onitment on the web (25.00 for an 8 oz. tube)I used it for a month and saw no difference or imporvement and decided I could not afford the product, both lotions work good. The tissue is starting to soften and it is feeling better but it takes time. I found that stretching exercises for my upper body help too, just don't over do it the first few times. And remember...if you have not had to shave in quite sometime check the razor before you do...mine had rusty blades! :-) Take care!
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613

Hi Michele
    I had a right side mod radical masectomy with 24 lymph nodes removed on Sept 24th...Yes, the numbness is still VERY present both on the underside of my right arm and on the right side of my body armpit and down.
    I am also dealing with lymphedema which, in itself, is not fun!! The numbness doesn't bother me much (I also had a C-section by the way) After a masectomy, your underarm feels different parts of your body with no breast there, that will be your new norm.
    I think I would be fine if not for the lymphedema - I am getting lymphatic massages and also she is massaging my breast scar as to loosen it up because it had hardened.
    I wouldn't worry too much about the numbness..according to a lot of posts on here, I guess most of the feeling does come back eventually - good luck with whatever you decide.

I had a bilateral mastectomy

I had a bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction using tummy tissue in April 2009. Like stillgood, the numbness bothers me most when I apply deodorant or shave under my arms: I will only shave when I can look in a mirror. Also, since abdominal tissue was used, there's a weird sensation when you do something like hold a clothes basket again your waste/abdomen. But, it's never been a constant discomfort and it does get better (or your body adjusts to it) over time.

Joyce
  • jarsam
    TLynn0102 said:

Bilattteral Numbness
    Hi Michele!
    I loved your question! I had the same one and learned a few things from the posts the ladies added. I can only tell you what my experience is having the bilatteral with DIEP Flap reconstruction. My bilatteral was in June of 2008 with the reconstruction in January of 2009. The first surgery was not that bad. There was numbness in my sides from the drain sites but the rest of the area felt okay. There was some feeling around where the breasts were and there was no pain. In January I had the DIEP Flap where they used my stomach fat and skin to recreate The Girls. It will be a year in January and I am just starting to get some of the feeling back...a lot of the time it is nerve pain and not sensation related. I found that taking Vitamin B6 helps with the nerve pain a lot and it is decreasing. There is some feeling coming back in the chest area which I am told is odd and under my arms things are getting better. I had to laugh at the shaving comment posted, I have the same fear! In time it will get better but there is a lot of scar tissue that needs to heal and soften. Vitamin E cream or Gold Bond lotion works great. I fell for the BC Scar repair onitment on the web (25.00 for an 8 oz. tube)I used it for a month and saw no difference or imporvement and decided I could not afford the product, both lotions work good. The tissue is starting to soften and it is feeling better but it takes time. I found that stretching exercises for my upper body help too, just don't over do it the first few times. And remember...if you have not had to shave in quite sometime check the razor before you do...mine had rusty blades! :-) Take care!

Thank you
    Thank you all for your comments. I am sooooo nervous and scared, and don't know what to do. I am afraid the "not feeling" will drive me crazy. If I choose lumpectomy, then I have to fear chemo again and maybe not as many choices. Going to onco for the first time this coming week and plastic surgeon. Once I get more info and make up my mind I am sure I will feel better.

Thank you again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Michele
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    jarsam said:

Thank you
    Thank you all for your comments. I am sooooo nervous and scared, and don't know what to do. I am afraid the "not feeling" will drive me crazy. If I choose lumpectomy, then I have to fear chemo again and maybe not as many choices. Going to onco for the first time this coming week and plastic surgeon. Once I get more info and make up my mind I am sure I will feel better.

Michele

Hi Michele
    I am so sorry that you are scared Michele. I wish we could do or say something to take that out of the picture for you. I had a lumpectomy, so, I can't answer about any numbness. Sending you hugs!

Leeza
  • marilyndbk
    marilyndbk Member Posts: 238 Member
    jarsam said:

Thank you

Michele

Hang in there. There are so
    Hang in there. There are so many things going on and many more will happen. My bilateral mast was 9/03/09 and I am still quite numb. I have gotten used to it but have the same issues as most of the others. It does become sort of the new norm. Take care. Marilyn
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    I had a double mastectomy
    I had a double mastectomy with reconstruction.. Didn't find the numbness a issue in beginning its kind of a blessing. You don't feel the drains come out and the fillings are painless. For me it didn't last forever. Had mastectomy in Feb and about 6 months later had some feeling in my chest again..
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    e_hope said:

I had a double mastectomy
    I had a double mastectomy with reconstruction.. Didn't find the numbness a issue in beginning its kind of a blessing. You don't feel the drains come out and the fillings are painless. For me it didn't last forever. Had mastectomy in Feb and about 6 months later had some feeling in my chest again..

thanks for asking...
    I was wondering the same thing. AND getting sick and tired of the numbness under my arm, on my chest. Think I'll ask my onc about the massage. That sounds like it could help.
    My surgery was July 2009 and still no feeling. It's kinda creepy, but could be worse! What if it was PAIN!!?? Gotta accept a lot of this (like the ladies said)as the new norm.
  • arkansasgirl
    arkansasgirl Member Posts: 84
    DOUBLE M AND NUMB

HI

I HAD BOTH BREAST REMOVED ON APRIL 20TH 2009. I HAVE A VERY RARE BREAST CANCER. ONLY
    1 PERCENT ALL THE WOMEN IN THE WORLD. I ELECTED NOT TO HAVE RECONSTRUCTION BECAUSE
    IT WAS NOT ME IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. I HAVE NUMBNESS WITH A LITTLE FUNNY FEELING WHEN
    I TOUCH MY CHEST. I'M JUST GETTING USE TO IT.

TAKE CARE AND GOD BLESS YOU.

ARKANSASGIRL