Tongue & Throat Cancer

Options

Comments

• enkido
    enkido Member Posts: 7
    Options

how long
    Enkido, I am 14 wks out from my last rad treatment and I still have the dry mouth, heavy coughing and cannot eat solid foods. I also have the peg tube. I try to eat different foods but don't have much luck. I can eat foods that can be chewed into baby food. Like, I ate pancakes this morning without any issues. I can also eat baked potatoes and foods like that. I don't ever eat if I'm alone in case I'd get choked. I wish you the best but also say, Be Patient....lol.
    God Bless,
    Debbie

Same History
    Hello
    It sounds like you and me have been on the same path, regarding treatment time and cancer.
    I just spoke to the nurse at my GI doctors office and they are setting up an appointment for me to have dilation. My throat became constricted after the radiation.
    I feel that as soon as I can swallow, I will then be on the path to recovery.
    I would like to recommend to all, if you can see a speech and swallow therapist, please do!
    Mine has helped restore my voice to a level that my family feels closely sounds like me before radiation.
    By the way at the oncology clinic where I was treated there five men with throat cancer and none of us smoked currently. One man had smoked for eighteen years, but quit in the early 80's. I had never smoked, but did drink distilled spirits pretty regular for 20 years.
    Who knows where this comes from?
    good luck
    Enkido
  • debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Options

I'm so sorry to hear that
    I'm so sorry to hear that you have been feeling so down. I haven't been feeling that great myself. I have to try everyday to be upbeat. With myself though, I think if/when my MRI scan comes up clean on Feb.5, some to those negative thoughts will leave me. I am pretty sure of that:)

Please try and stay positive, we are all in the same boat. And there is always someone out there a lot worse off. Take a look at Haiti. I know these are only words...but please try Deb. And keep on sharing this forum with everyone. We love to hear from you!

Cindy

thanks
    Thanks, Cindy, you are right, there is always someone who has it worse. Even tho, it can still be hard to swallow. But with the family I"ve found here, it sure helps!!!
    thank you to everyone who replied to me.
    May God Bless You Always,
    Deb
  • hawk711
    hawk711 Member Posts: 566
    Options
    Rick2924 said:

Calories During Treatment
    Hawk

I finished my treatment for stage IV SCC base of tongue and bilateral lymph nodes a year ago. I had 3 rounds of induction chemo and 35 IMRT (7000 Gy) concurrent with Carboplatin.

A few days after each round of chemo I was able to eat pretty much anything I wanted. The problem will be the radiation treatments. After about 10 treatments, my taste was almost gone and I had no desire to eat. A few weeks after that swallowing became extremely difficult. Somehow I got through without a PEG, so I tried many different drinks. I tried Carnation HVC (560 calories), but found it to be too thick to deal with. What I ended up living on for 6 months was Ensure Plus (360 calories) mixed in a blender with 1/2 a package of Carnation Instant Breakfast powder (which added about 75 calories), 1 scoop of protein powder (about another 75 calories) and a few ice cubes or some ice cream. Sometimes I would add a little coffee to the mix for somewhat of a different flavor. I tried creamed chicken and beef, but I preferred the Ensure mixture.

Each one of us has a different way of getting through our treatment, so you probably will need to experiment and try different things. I went from 150 lbs at the beginning of treatment to 122 lbs at the end, so remember that consuming calories during this ordeal (including post-treatment) will be your number one job.

Good Luck,
    Rick

Calories during treatment
    Rick
    Thanks for the update. I got a peg put in yesterday because I didn't want to do it when I was feeling terrible. The surgery for that was minimal really, but still hurts and takes a few days to get over.
    I currently weigh 202 and hope to stay above 180 during this whole process. I am taking ensure Plus also, and your additional guidance will help me to maintain calories as well as nutrition. I start the whole process, chemo & radiation on Feb 16 and it will run for 6 weeks.
    I'll drop a line again as this gets going. I hope to hear more ideas from you and others. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions...It is encouiraging to hear from someone doing well after treatments...

Steve aka Hawk
  • hawk711
    Options
    catya88 said:

Thanks for the advice
    Thanks again everyone.

Last Thursday at Tim's appointment the doctor said his tumor shrunk a little. His pain has increased and he has moved up to the pain patches. Eating food is alot more difficult but he is still trying and also taking feedings through his tube.

He will probably go on disability next week. All his treatments end February 9. Then the doctor will decide what's next.

At the end of treatment, he will have had radiation everyday for 7 weeks and chemo once a week for 7 weeks.

We still plan on going to the conference this week to hear Head and Neck survivors speak and will pick up tips from them.

My computer at home has a virus so I can only access the site while at work, so it may take me a while to respond but really appreciates everyones, stories, concerns, tips and prayers.

Please know that I think of all of you in my prayers - Cathy

Head and neck conference
    HI Cathy
    I was wondering if you went to the conference to hear the H & N survivors speak? We'd all like to hear if there were any good tips or ideas that you picked up.
    I wish Tim the best in his recovery and cure. I too am just about to begin the treatments of radiation and chemo for 6 weeks.
    I am learning alot about the process from my Dr's and all the comments from friends on this site.
    I am adding all the great folks on this site to my prayers daily.
    Steve
  • hawk711
    Options
    ballonk said:

Praying For Your Boyfriend
    Hi Cathy: I had a radical left neck dissection in July 2003 as a result of squamous cell carcinoma (SCC). I was originally diagnosed in 2001 with SCC on the left side of my tongue. I had surgery at that time; no radiation or chemo required. I visited my ENT every few months for a follow-up visit and was doing fine.

In 2003, I had a lump pop up on the left side of my neck which turned out to be a reoccurrence of SCC, requiring that I have a radical left neck dissection followed by radiation treatments which ended in December 2003. My surgery lasted about 11 hours; the first 2-3 hours the ENT spent scoping everything he could reach looking for additional cancer spots. He found none. He also removed my tonsils during this surgery as a precautionary measure. I spent two nights in the hospital and recovered quickly from the surgery. The most pain I had was from the tonsillectomy; not the neck dissection. I did not have a feeding tube during radiation treatments but did have to take pain medication for a few months in order to tolerate swallowing. I have numbness from my left ear down to my left shoulder, my left arm is weak and I cannot lift it over my head and my face and neck area is a little "lopsided" from the surgery but I have no problem with that; considering the alternative. I had difficulty swallowing and choking on food for a while after radiation treatments but my ENT dilated my esophagus (under mild sedation) twice over the past 6 years and that has helped a lot.

My radiation treatments were rough but I made it through and found a lot of helpful advice on these boards. It's been a long time since I logged in but I'm back and want to provide help to others where I can.

I know cancer is a very scary situation and can only advise that you keep yourself informed and keep your faith in God. With my first cancer occurrence, my 5 year survival rate was at 85-90%. After the second occurrence the cancer had spread to the lymph nodes in my neck so my 5 year survival rate dropped to about 40%. This past December (2009), I reached my 6 year mark without another occurrence. So many positive things have come my way as a result of having cancer and while I would not want to experience it again, I have no regrets about having to travel this journey and I hope I can help others along in the process.

While my doctor will not declare me "cancer free"; he feels I am out of the woods. There's no guarantee that it won't come back again, especially since it got into my lymph nodes. But I refuse to spend whatever time I have left here on earth worrying about something I can do nothing about. I've put this in God's hand and have prepared myself to die as best I can but I practice "guarded optimism" that God will allow me more time on this earth to be with my family and friends. However, I'm fully aware that it's not my call and that His will - will be done.

Be strong, go with God! Please don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance.

Kathy

Kathy's positive attitude
    Kathy
    I am new to the cancer game....I am starting treatment (chemo & rad) for tongue and neck cancer in a week. I am told that my salivary glands will be gone and that I'll have to carry a water bottle around with me all the time. I can handle all that, I just need to hear the stories like yours that you are healthy and looking forward to each day.
    Please keep writing about your journey through the world of post treatments and being, "almost cancer free"..Your comments help us newbies out there to know that we can get through this and that the world will still be there, although a little different.

Thank you again for sharing,
    Steve
  • catya88
    catya88 Member Posts: 50
    Options
    hawk711 said:

Head and neck conference
    HI Cathy
    I was wondering if you went to the conference to hear the H & N survivors speak? We'd all like to hear if there were any good tips or ideas that you picked up.
    I wish Tim the best in his recovery and cure. I too am just about to begin the treatments of radiation and chemo for 6 weeks.
    I am learning alot about the process from my Dr's and all the comments from friends on this site.
    I am adding all the great folks on this site to my prayers daily.
    Steve

Finished Treatment
    Hi Everyone and welcome Steve!

As a caregiver Steve, this group has been extremely helpful with tips and suggestions.

Tim had his last chemo treatment last Tuesday and his last radiation treatment last Thursday. I can't believe it's been 7 weeks!

The lecture was good, the doctor did a review of head and neck cancers, new treatment options, not many for tongue. The three survivors were helpful. I didn't get to ask where there cancers were in the head and neck but all had varying stages of when there taste came back, how long the severe pain lasted and when it started. All three had intense pain after treatment stopped and that's when they all stepped up the pain meds.

Tim is three days out and his pain is a little more intense but he has not had to move up the high powered meds, which he has on standby. He is still doing the tube feedings but the last two days tried a vanilla milkshake and greek yogurt with honey. He continued to eat soft, soft foods or drink throughout his treatment and he worked through his treatment but, from what I've read, he's lucky in that, the hospital was 2.5 miles from my condo his office was 4 miles in the other direction from my condo.

He has been very tired the last two days and next may have a transfusion which we are to understand is because of the chemo and not radiation. He said he had a little nausea today, only the second time for that.

I have not gone to this website yet but it is in the literature from the lecture, also, the three survivors are trying to get a support group to meet once a month.

www.headandneck.org

His burns from radiation became very, very bad and they gave him cream that they use on burn victims, and I'm jealous because the skin on his neck is incrediable smooth and soft! In my complex, there is a message therapist who works with cancer patients and at one of her classes she got a sample of some Alhoe that she let us have. It's called Lindi Skin and it was specifically designed for cancer patients. The sample she gave us is Lindi Skin Cooler Roll and Tim really likes it. www.lindaskin.com

Sorry I haven't been good with checking in. My laptop was out of commission until last week then we got slammed with two major snow storms in a row!

I think of everyone all the Tim and will try to be better about updates while Tim is recovering and letting ou know what he is going through and what he is using.

Steve, I probably didn't give you much info but ask me more questions and I'll think back about Tim's experience. I know you'll get through your treatment with the help of this group, wow, is all I can think to say and I don't remember who told me, and I did do it but, READ, READ, READ, read everything on the website you can find and ask any question you can think of.

Love to all - Cathy
  • catya88
    Options
    hawk711 said:

Calories during treatment
    Rick
    Thanks for the update. I got a peg put in yesterday because I didn't want to do it when I was feeling terrible. The surgery for that was minimal really, but still hurts and takes a few days to get over.
    I currently weigh 202 and hope to stay above 180 during this whole process. I am taking ensure Plus also, and your additional guidance will help me to maintain calories as well as nutrition. I start the whole process, chemo & radiation on Feb 16 and it will run for 6 weeks.
    I'll drop a line again as this gets going. I hope to hear more ideas from you and others. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions...It is encouiraging to hear from someone doing well after treatments...

Steve aka Hawk

Tim - not doing well
    Hello All

I posted further up about Tim finishing treatment, as a I previously read, the worst is here. His pain is increasing, the mucus is bad, meaning there's alot and swallowing is no longer an option.

I am calling his doctor this morning to discuss what Tim has written out for me. He is to have a transfusion this week to help his blood count but right now, that's not looking possible.

I am able to get his 5 cans in, and I think that's helping.

Advice, suggestions and what to ask the doctors is always appreciated.

Love to all - Cathy
  • catya88
    Options
    catya88 said:

Tim - not doing well
    Hello All

I posted further up about Tim finishing treatment, as a I previously read, the worst is here. His pain is increasing, the mucus is bad, meaning there's alot and swallowing is no longer an option.

I am calling his doctor this morning to discuss what Tim has written out for me. He is to have a transfusion this week to help his blood count but right now, that's not looking possible.

I am able to get his 5 cans in, and I think that's helping.

Advice, suggestions and what to ask the doctors is always appreciated.

Love to all - Cathy

Tim - Pain Management
    Hello everyone

I spoke to Tim's doctor yesterday about various issues and his pain. He said, go home, call 911 and get him to the ER.

When I left the hospital at 7:15 pm he was finally feeling some relief, his pain was a 5 when I left. He still may have a transfusion and they said he could be released as early Thursday but I'm hoping they'll keep him until Friday.

I saw one of the oncologist from his team and she said the plan is to send him home with a pain management plan. Tim will go out on disability next week, it takes a week to put everything together.

Love to all - Cathy
  • Greend
    Greend Member Posts: 678
    Options
    hawk711 said:

Kathy's positive attitude
    Kathy
    I am new to the cancer game....I am starting treatment (chemo & rad) for tongue and neck cancer in a week. I am told that my salivary glands will be gone and that I'll have to carry a water bottle around with me all the time. I can handle all that, I just need to hear the stories like yours that you are healthy and looking forward to each day.
    Please keep writing about your journey through the world of post treatments and being, "almost cancer free"..Your comments help us newbies out there to know that we can get through this and that the world will still be there, although a little different.

Thank you again for sharing,
    Steve

Hawk
    12 years of carrying a water bottle....When I die Dasani stocks will fall 50%

Hang in there cause "you ain't alone"
  • Greend
    Greend Member Posts: 678
    Options
    Dazey said:

in the middle
    Hi Debbie - I finished treatment in the middle the week between you and Cindy(10/26/09). My treatment involved only radiation 30 IMRT - six weeks. It is now January 15 and I can report the mucous has diminished considerably. I have been taking some glutamine as recommended by others on this site. No burning marks on my neck - some "turkey neck" (I hope Ratface reports back soon on the massage therapy to ameliorate that issue.) Some pain on swallowing - but is is mainly related to food texture and certain spices. Again, it is getting better. By the end of each day, my throat is very sore from talking (too much?) and eating. I have had occasional choking times when a food gets caught in a spot (what I shame we don't have the ability to "detour" when swallowing.) I am usually able to either cough it out or use water to pass it on its way or just keep swallowing. I know how scary it can be; I do make note of what the texture was and try to come up with ways to change it. Keep plugging along. I know Cindy is also pushing through all of this. It can be a downer - definitely. I do know that in the beginning, it seemed like it would never be better. Today, I can say each week shows improvement - not necessarily each day,but that is okay I AM getting better. Just wanted to share my thoughts and let you know there are many who are on the same journey - just at different "ports" at different times. Dazey

That Spot
    Don't we all just love that SPOT where everything gets stuck. At times I remind myself of a mother bird bringing up food for her chicks :>)

I think my all time favorite was eating french fries at Wendys. I was with my wife and thought most of the food was making its way to "Mr Stomach" or that water would push it that way. Boy was I wrong. I got up and went into the restroom and did my all time best mama bird impersonation (no need to describe here) - on a scale of 1-10 I was a 10.

Haven't eaten french fries since.

Ya'll hang in there...life gets interesting now.
  • dennis318
    dennis318 Member Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    enkido said:

Hello

I too had a tongue cancer diagnosis last June 2009. I had 35 radiation treatments that ended on October 16 th. and 2 chemo treatments.
    Three months after radiation I still cannot drink or swallow anything. The feeding tube is my lifeline. I have begun putting real food into a food processor and getting it into my body. I don;t want to be delayed eating because my stomach is too sensitive. So far vegetables, cream of wheat and chicken and rice soup have been easy for me to handle thru the tube.
    My question is how long did it take you to swallow water and food?
    I still have pain in the back of my throat about the size of a nickel. It feels very raw and hurts. Anyone with this type of issues?
    For dry mouth at night I have found Biotene Oral Balance Gel to help.
    Thanks

your food intake
    i finshed chemo and radiation after 6-7 weeks, i lost 40lbs, and was sick 2 weeks, i refused the tube, this was my choice, at times i wish i hadn't, but made it, anything co ld is a no no. the soreness in your throat, I too still have that, and lots of phlem, theytell me this will get better, WHEN???, I ate a lobter bisque soup from Kroger, smooth, no obsticles, went down well, the cream of wheats..same here, add milk to it and drink it, add sugar when cooking. eggs on well buttered toast, was this weeks advancement. wow, my eating hanots totaly changed after my throat cancer, i uses to hate water, i drink it my the gallons, it's get better every week, not day!, i went further and managed a hot dog, this was a really big step. The Doctor gave me a real good pain deadner, which i take before eating and this real has helped me, I would like to know when my voice will improve from a whiper to somewhat of a voice, and the phlem calm downs, this is really embarassing...
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    Options
    catya88 said:

Tim - Pain Management
    Hello everyone

I spoke to Tim's doctor yesterday about various issues and his pain. He said, go home, call 911 and get him to the ER.

When I left the hospital at 7:15 pm he was finally feeling some relief, his pain was a 5 when I left. He still may have a transfusion and they said he could be released as early Thursday but I'm hoping they'll keep him until Friday.

I saw one of the oncologist from his team and she said the plan is to send him home with a pain management plan. Tim will go out on disability next week, it takes a week to put everything together.

Love to all - Cathy

This, Too Shall Pass
    Cathy,
    Very sorry to hear the pain has escalated. Glad Tim's getting some relief. Hope the pain management plan is successful.
    I hear (read) so many people say that the pain escalates, and the last week of rads and 3 to 4 weeks that follow are the hardest of treatment. It must be frustrating and scary to have the pain increase when you're "done".
    Hope Tim's pain subsides quickly, and blood numbers rebound. You guys are so close - let us know.
  • delnative
    delnative Member Posts: 450
    Options
    dennis318 said:

your food intake
    i finshed chemo and radiation after 6-7 weeks, i lost 40lbs, and was sick 2 weeks, i refused the tube, this was my choice, at times i wish i hadn't, but made it, anything co ld is a no no. the soreness in your throat, I too still have that, and lots of phlem, theytell me this will get better, WHEN???, I ate a lobter bisque soup from Kroger, smooth, no obsticles, went down well, the cream of wheats..same here, add milk to it and drink it, add sugar when cooking. eggs on well buttered toast, was this weeks advancement. wow, my eating hanots totaly changed after my throat cancer, i uses to hate water, i drink it my the gallons, it's get better every week, not day!, i went further and managed a hot dog, this was a really big step. The Doctor gave me a real good pain deadner, which i take before eating and this real has helped me, I would like to know when my voice will improve from a whiper to somewhat of a voice, and the phlem calm downs, this is really embarassing...

Hey, Dennis
    Sounds like you're doing the same things I was doing when I was at your stage -- though instead of lobster bisque, I made oyster stew from a half-bushel of oysters I picked up at the dock. Loaded it down with heavy cream for calories, and man, was it good. Cream of wheat, too. If you're on to buttered toast, you're coming down the home stretch.
    My voice didn't suffer as much as yours apparently has. It got kind of raspy, but came back in about a month, if memory serves. As for the phlegm, it got really, really bad for two or three weeks after treatment but started to get better after that. I'm 16 months out of treatment and I still have very minor phlegm, primarily in the morning when I get up. You'll get better, and soon.
    --Jim in Delaware
  • catya88
    Options
    Pam M said:

This, Too Shall Pass
    Cathy,
    Very sorry to hear the pain has escalated. Glad Tim's getting some relief. Hope the pain management plan is successful.
    I hear (read) so many people say that the pain escalates, and the last week of rads and 3 to 4 weeks that follow are the hardest of treatment. It must be frustrating and scary to have the pain increase when you're "done".
    Hope Tim's pain subsides quickly, and blood numbers rebound. You guys are so close - let us know.

Thanks Pam
    I hadn't heard from you and have been wondering, how are you? Are you finished with your treatment?

Tim looked good today and I met his oncologist who said they may release him tomorrow. He is trying to get liquids down now and the pain is not as severe, mucus comes and goes.

His doctor said they won't know the next step until he heals.

Tim was able to stay head of his pain until he finished treatment. We too had heard the pain was going to be bad after treatment, boy is it!

He got two bags of blood, the doctor said that may make him feel a little better.

Would like to hear how you are doing - Cathy
  • dennis318
    dennis318 Member Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    delnative said:

Hey, Dennis
    Sounds like you're doing the same things I was doing when I was at your stage -- though instead of lobster bisque, I made oyster stew from a half-bushel of oysters I picked up at the dock. Loaded it down with heavy cream for calories, and man, was it good. Cream of wheat, too. If you're on to buttered toast, you're coming down the home stretch.
    My voice didn't suffer as much as yours apparently has. It got kind of raspy, but came back in about a month, if memory serves. As for the phlegm, it got really, really bad for two or three weeks after treatment but started to get better after that. I'm 16 months out of treatment and I still have very minor phlegm, primarily in the morning when I get up. You'll get better, and soon.
    --Jim in Delaware

thanks
    thanks alot...appreciate you positive input, yes my eating has improved, the phlem,I hope soon goes away...I did Oyster Stew as well, do you still have a small sore throat, thanks jim for returning a posting, appreciate it. Dennis
  • nicki74
    nicki74 Member Posts: 55
    Options
    hawk711 said:

tongue and neck cancer
    I was recently diagnosed with a tongue cancer and two spots on my neck. I start chemo and rad in a week or so...The cancer is localized there and has not spread. I learned that after the PET scan. I feel confident in my doctors and the curing process, but am of course nervous. I don't have many questions yet but will have many I'm sure. Thanks to each of you for responding to us "newbies" who have joined the site.
    I guess I do have a question. what is the highest calorie protein drink our there to keep up with my nutrition as this goes on ??? I don't want to try 4 if one of you know a good tasting one that is high in proteins and calories...
    thanks again,
    hawk aka Steve

hi, my father was recently
    hi, my father was recently diagnosed with tongue cancer, stage iv.. he goes in next tuesday so the surgeon can put a scope in to get a better look to make sure we havent missed anything, and i pray that we didnt..at that time they will put in a trach and feeding tube.. he is 56 yrs old.. he has already lost about 30lbs, because the tumor under his tongue has been so painful that he could not eat solids, just basically yogurts, protein shakes and drinks... i want to keep him and my mom, and of course myself positive.. does anyone have any thoughts?

about a week after this first stay, he will then go in 5 days a week for 7 weeks for treatment.. the oncologist also said something about starting the induction chemo while he was in the hospital... is anyone also familiar with the induction chemo?

thank you so much for your time.. this website has been great!
  • Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Options
    nicki74 said:

hi, my father was recently diagnosed with tongue cancer, stage iv.. he goes in next tuesday so the surgeon can put a scope in to get a better look to make sure we havent missed anything, and i pray that we didnt..at that time they will put in a trach and feeding tube.. he is 56 yrs old.. he has already lost about 30lbs, because the tumor under his tongue has been so painful that he could not eat solids, just basically yogurts, protein shakes and drinks... i want to keep him and my mom, and of course myself positive.. does anyone have any thoughts?

about a week after this first stay, he will then go in 5 days a week for 7 weeks for treatment.. the oncologist also said something about starting the induction chemo while he was in the hospital... is anyone also familiar with the induction chemo?

Tim
    Sorry about not being more active- Tim is in my Prayers. It gets rough, Cathy. On this forum we stay positive, and fight the fight. Know Tim's been thru one heckuva an ordeal, as we all have. Stay aggressive with your care, and love, Cathy. An historic time in your live's, Cathy. You two will live to someday look back on this time, and marvel at what you were able to survive...You will. Again, stay aggressive with where you are, in relation to those who provide the med care. AND YES- getting the calories to help the body help itself to heal is MOST CRITICAL- A MUST DO.

Tim- we are all still with you.

Believe.

kcass
  • catya88
    Options
    Kent Cass said:

Tim
    Sorry about not being more active- Tim is in my Prayers. It gets rough, Cathy. On this forum we stay positive, and fight the fight. Know Tim's been thru one heckuva an ordeal, as we all have. Stay aggressive with your care, and love, Cathy. An historic time in your live's, Cathy. You two will live to someday look back on this time, and marvel at what you were able to survive...You will. Again, stay aggressive with where you are, in relation to those who provide the med care. AND YES- getting the calories to help the body help itself to heal is MOST CRITICAL- A MUST DO.

Tim- we are all still with you.

Believe.

kcass

Tim - out of hospital
    Good to hear from you Kent.

Tim was released Monday with liquid morphine and pain patches.

He is doing better with the pain and the mucus. He is working from home, but was very tired this morning, probably because he did too much yesterday.

Has a appointment today with the onocologist and we have a support mtg tonight. When I saw the oncologist in the hospital, she said they wouldn't be able to tell anything until he heals, about 6 weeks out. His ENT appointment is March 9th and radiologist late March early April.

He's doing well with the tube feedings, still trying to take liquids.

Radiation burns on his neck are almost gone.

Now that the worst pain is over, Tim is doing better mentally, as you know, that first week of pain is the worst but, he survived. Getting back to his home helped alot.

Thanks again Kent, we believe - Cathy
  • catya88
    Options
    nicki74 said:

Your father
    Hi Nicki

My boyfriend just finished his treatments for Stage IV BOT and throat cancer. My boyfriend had the same problem, he lost weight because he kept trying to eat but even the soft foods caused trouble. You'll want your dad to continue to swallow, even if it's only water. Tim has a PEG and is doing well with it, we have it down to science on when to do all feedings, he gets 5 cans a day.

Tim also did 7 weeks of radiation, everyday and one day a week of chemo.

Staying positive? This group has helped me so very much. Keep writing, reading and asking questions and never give up hope, it's just not an option.

We are here for you - Cathy
  • nicki74
    nicki74 Member Posts: 55
    Options
    catya88 said:

Your father
    Hi Nicki

My boyfriend just finished his treatments for Stage IV BOT and throat cancer. My boyfriend had the same problem, he lost weight because he kept trying to eat but even the soft foods caused trouble. You'll want your dad to continue to swallow, even if it's only water. Tim has a PEG and is doing well with it, we have it down to science on when to do all feedings, he gets 5 cans a day.

Tim also did 7 weeks of radiation, everyday and one day a week of chemo.

Staying positive? This group has helped me so very much. Keep writing, reading and asking questions and never give up hope, it's just not an option.

We are here for you - Cathy

Staying Positive
    Hi Cathy

Thank you so much for your response. I am glad that your boyfriend is getting better. He is definitely in my prayers! Now i know exactly why they call this a battle, it is not just the disease itself, it is the battle to stay positive and strong... my dad is in good spirits.. i think the hard part is because he cant actually talk and tell us that, so we just purchased him an erase board! lol.. i actually got a chance to chat with SASH a little bit yesterday too, his story is amazing too..

We are all staying positive for my dad, although at times we have those breakdowns, but I will tell you that I have never looked foward to Summer so much in my life! This snow is just cold and depressing.... my mom stays strong, well in front of me.. he goes in Tuesday for the Trach and PEG, and the surgeon will take a closer look again with a scope, also at that time he will have some teeth pulled.. i have a very good feeling about the outcome of this ordeal and have strong faith that he will pull through like a champ!

thank you again, and as always each and every person going through this, patient and caregiver, will be in my prayers..

take care, nicki