Have to make my decision soon! Need help!

Options
2»

Comments

• Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    Options
    Lynda53 said:

sunrae I am having a single done
    Onco and surgeon do not feel it is needed to remove the left. I will have some "wire" procedure done during the surgery to remove atypical cells in the left. The chance of any cancer ever in left is less than 10%.
    (I have inflammatory breast cancer in right)
    I restart chemo tomorrow and some 15 or so weeks later I will have the mastectomy I cannot have reconstruction at that time, as I will also need radiation.
    At this point, I doubt that I will have reconstruction, although I may need reduction on the remaining big girl!
    Such a personal decision, I am sure you will choose what you feel is best for you.
    Peace

Thanks again to all of you
    Thanks again to all of you for sharing your personal stories. I haven't had a "eureka" moment yet, still wondering which way to go. Its interesting how cancer doesn't quit, we just have to make decisions according to information, experience and gut feeling. Looks like everyone makes the right decision for themselves and I will do that too. I'm so thankful for all of you and wish each one of you the best for the coming new year.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    Sunrae said:

Thanks again to all of you
    Thanks again to all of you for sharing your personal stories. I haven't had a "eureka" moment yet, still wondering which way to go. Its interesting how cancer doesn't quit, we just have to make decisions according to information, experience and gut feeling. Looks like everyone makes the right decision for themselves and I will do that too. I'm so thankful for all of you and wish each one of you the best for the coming new year.

http://csn.cancer.org/node/176615
    I found earlier discussion on the same subject,
    I thought you might be interested in checking it out.
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    Options

I found earlier discussion on the same subject,
    I thought you might be interested in checking it out.

I had one removed....
    and no reconstruction as of yet. I felt it was enough to go through the surgery, chemo, radiation, ect without the added pain of the expanders. I have not regretted it for one moment, but have not ruled out a lil implant later. My scar is gross.
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    Options
    Bilateral - no reconstruction
    Sunrae,

First of all I'd like to point out a typo in your post. You said "I'm close to 70". Obviously, from looking at your picture, you meant to say 40 or 50.

I am 41 and had a bilateral without reconstruction in August. I currently wear mastectomy camisoles with foam breast forms in them (from the TLC catalog) when I am out or at work. When I am home I usually just wear a shirt or sweatshirt without the camisole or breast forms (it is very comfortable). Part of the reason I chose to have both done at the same time is because I didn't want to HAVE to always wear a breast form to not look lopsided.

This is a decison you need to make yourself. I spent a lot of time thinking it through before I had my surgery but I am happy with my decision and haven't had any regrets (except that I got bc in the first place).

Good luck with your decision and take care of yourself!
  • TLynn0102
    TLynn0102 Member Posts: 86
    Options
    The Girls
    Sunrae - I had a double mastectomy in June of 2008. I am in my early 40's, a gene carrier and a survivor of this awful illness. There are so many decisions to make and you can get all the advice in the world but when the pavement meets the road the ultimate decision comes down to what you are comfortable with. I can tell you that the surgery does not hurt; the drains are a pain but they are not in long. They put a big bandage over you so you don't know what things look like. The worst feeling is when they take it off and that is only because you don't know what to expect. At first sight you think this is odd but after a while you get use to it. I went in for form fittings about three weeks after the surgery. The key is to get good ones, mine were okay but they were tempory so they did not fit as well as they should have. I had reconstruction in January of last year which is a whole different story...I chose to have the bilatteral mastectomy for two reasons; the women in my family who had BC had reoccurance and ended up with mastectomy's the second time around. The second reason was for my peace of mind. Along with the bilatteral I had the ovaries removed, and all the other good stuff taken out too. For me it was a 'peace of mind' choice. I knew through the research I did all of this would reduce the chance of reoccurance in my case. Reach within you and ask the tough questions because those are the ones that will make a differece in your choice. Having lost the 'Girls' as I call them is a life changing event but if you are comfortable with your decision you will be fine. I did notice that sleeping was odd, no where to lay your arm so I had to make adjustments at night but other than that it was not bad at all. I wear tank tops versus a bra now as I did following the surgery, it is much nicer so that is a plus. Its a tough decision and only one you can make. I wish the very best as you move forward through your process and will pray that you come to a decision that you are comfortable with.
  • Heartlight1
    Heartlight1 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    I didn't have reconstruction
    Hi! I'm Bonnie. I had DCIS 15 years ago. Treatment was lumpectomy & radiation. This past May, it reoccurred and I had a mastectomy. Yes, it feels odd having one breast; however, I don't want unnecessary additional surgery, and that's largely b'c I want to be natural, and having reconstruction for me didn't seem healthy/natural. I also had a fiance at the time and he was cool with my decision. We did not break up over the mastectomy, although my loss of a sex drive was an issue for him. I did have that reaction, but I don't care about that; obviously,that's extremely personal and I don't think it has anything to do with looking for one's cancer treatment. Cancer is FAR TOO SERIOUS, of course! I'm 49 years old, btw. Sundrae, if you've had lymphnode involvment, I'd have the double mastectomy. There are very many cosmetic assecories to make us feel more comfortable in our day to day, although I haven't taken advantage of such things as bra's with inserts or bathing suits with the same.

I'd like to know what you decide.
    -Bonnie
  • Heartlight1
    Heartlight1 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Wolfi said:

Sunrae,

First of all I'd like to point out a typo in your post. You said "I'm close to 70". Obviously, from looking at your picture, you meant to say 40 or 50.

I am 41 and had a bilateral without reconstruction in August. I currently wear mastectomy camisoles with foam breast forms in them (from the TLC catalog) when I am out or at work. When I am home I usually just wear a shirt or sweatshirt without the camisole or breast forms (it is very comfortable). Part of the reason I chose to have both done at the same time is because I didn't want to HAVE to always wear a breast form to not look lopsided.

This is a decison you need to make yourself. I spent a lot of time thinking it through before I had my surgery but I am happy with my decision and haven't had any regrets (except that I got bc in the first place).

TLC catalogue?
    I'd like information on how to get the TLC catalogue, please. I am lopsided, and regret not having had a double. Prior to my mastectomy, I wore camisoles, and would love to, again. I feel like a slob lopsided!

-Bonnie
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options

TLC catalogue?
    I'd like information on how to get the TLC catalogue, please. I am lopsided, and regret not having had a double. Prior to my mastectomy, I wore camisoles, and would love to, again. I feel like a slob lopsided!

-Bonnie

Bonnie, the TLC catalog is
    Bonnie, the TLC catalog is from this site, the American Cancer Society I think. If you go to their home page, I think it is on the left side of the page. Good luck.

Hugs, Diane ♥
  • dmc_emmy
    dmc_emmy Member Posts: 549
    Options
    Sunrae said:

Thanks to all of you who
    Thanks to all of you who posted. I'm still up in the air about my choices but I know that when the time comes, I'll go with what I feel deep down inside. When I think logically, I think go with both of them out, then not so much worry. Then emotionally i think shouldn't i keep one and not have such a hassle with the surgery. My mother lost her left breast to bc and she was fine with the slip-in pads and she always looked great in her clothes. Never did get bc in the other breast. Your thoughts and prayers are supporting me during this time.

Sunrae--reconstruction like anything else...
    it is a personal decision. I had a mastectomy in 2006 and, after researching my options, decided on no reconstruction. I have had several surgeries, due to a near-fatal car accident in 1996 and I also have other health concerns. I did not, according to the surgeon, have the option for reconstruction using my abdominal tissue, but I did qualify for silicon implants. However, I opted not to have the latter because of the possibiltity of more surgery 10 years later.

I have tried prosthetics and specially-made bras with pockets for silicone forms, but they tended to be too heavy and any kind of pressure on my incision (even after 4 years) still hurts. I finally decided to use a soft sleeper sock and fold it strategically inside my bra. I know it sounds crazy, but it works if you don't have a large cup size. Most of the time, mainly because I forget, I don't even use that and depend on a suit jacket, bulky sweater, or baggy shirt to hide the fact that I only have one breast. At first, I was very self-conscious, but I decided to accept that fact that this is the way it is (by no choice of my own) and, because I chose not to have reconsturctive surgery, I can't do anything about it.

I wanted my surgeons to do a dbl mastectomy, but they would not do it. They told me that I was too high risk and the recovery time would be too great. I don't if I really accept that explanation now, or even then, but what's done is done. To this day I wish I had had a dbl mastectomy. One, it would be one less worry about my one remaining breast (something I am always checking); two, I wouldn't have to fiddle with my sleeper sock prosthetic in the morning as I rush off to work; and three, I wouldn't be lopsided when I am in the bathtub (silly reason to have a dbl mastectomy, isn't it?). Aside from those reasons, I'm fine with my mastectomy.

Four years later, I'm declared cancer-free, just before my Christmas holiday, and even my lopsided look in the bathtub can't get me down!

All kidding aside, it is a tough decision tco make. I give you my best Sunrae,
    dmc
  • Sunrae
    Options
    dmc_emmy said:

Sunrae--reconstruction like anything else...
    it is a personal decision. I had a mastectomy in 2006 and, after researching my options, decided on no reconstruction. I have had several surgeries, due to a near-fatal car accident in 1996 and I also have other health concerns. I did not, according to the surgeon, have the option for reconstruction using my abdominal tissue, but I did qualify for silicon implants. However, I opted not to have the latter because of the possibiltity of more surgery 10 years later.

I have tried prosthetics and specially-made bras with pockets for silicone forms, but they tended to be too heavy and any kind of pressure on my incision (even after 4 years) still hurts. I finally decided to use a soft sleeper sock and fold it strategically inside my bra. I know it sounds crazy, but it works if you don't have a large cup size. Most of the time, mainly because I forget, I don't even use that and depend on a suit jacket, bulky sweater, or baggy shirt to hide the fact that I only have one breast. At first, I was very self-conscious, but I decided to accept that fact that this is the way it is (by no choice of my own) and, because I chose not to have reconsturctive surgery, I can't do anything about it.

I wanted my surgeons to do a dbl mastectomy, but they would not do it. They told me that I was too high risk and the recovery time would be too great. I don't if I really accept that explanation now, or even then, but what's done is done. To this day I wish I had had a dbl mastectomy. One, it would be one less worry about my one remaining breast (something I am always checking); two, I wouldn't have to fiddle with my sleeper sock prosthetic in the morning as I rush off to work; and three, I wouldn't be lopsided when I am in the bathtub (silly reason to have a dbl mastectomy, isn't it?). Aside from those reasons, I'm fine with my mastectomy.

Four years later, I'm declared cancer-free, just before my Christmas holiday, and even my lopsided look in the bathtub can't get me down!

All kidding aside, it is a tough decision tco make. I give you my best Sunrae,
    dmc

DMC, thank you so much for
    DMC, thank you so much for your input. I'm so sorry you have had to endure so much but very happy for you. 4 years cancer free and you sound so great. Glad all this didn't take away your spirit. Looks like you're winning your battle. I never thought about looking lopsided but that's another facet to deal with. I'm taking all these posts to heart and it will help me make a better decision. Hope you continue to do well.
  • Sunrae
    Options
    Wolfi said:

Sunrae,

Wolfi, girl, you have made
    Wolfi, girl, you have made my day. I spent all afternoon at the hospital having a 3d ultra sound, aching all over from fibromyalgia and side effects of Femara, feel like a 90 year old, dragged my tail home and just wanted to go to bed. But here I am and saw your post. Your mention of my typo made me laugh and cheered me up. So I decided its all in my head, quit acting so old and start acting more my age (wish I could remember how I acted when I was 40-50, think I had a lot more energy). Seriously, thank you for sharing your experience with me and recommending the TLC catalog which I'll be checking out. Hope you're well and wish the best for you.
  • Sunrae
    Options

I didn't have reconstruction
    Hi! I'm Bonnie. I had DCIS 15 years ago. Treatment was lumpectomy & radiation. This past May, it reoccurred and I had a mastectomy. Yes, it feels odd having one breast; however, I don't want unnecessary additional surgery, and that's largely b'c I want to be natural, and having reconstruction for me didn't seem healthy/natural. I also had a fiance at the time and he was cool with my decision. We did not break up over the mastectomy, although my loss of a sex drive was an issue for him. I did have that reaction, but I don't care about that; obviously,that's extremely personal and I don't think it has anything to do with looking for one's cancer treatment. Cancer is FAR TOO SERIOUS, of course! I'm 49 years old, btw. Sundrae, if you've had lymphnode involvment, I'd have the double mastectomy. There are very many cosmetic assecories to make us feel more comfortable in our day to day, although I haven't taken advantage of such things as bra's with inserts or bathing suits with the same.

I'd like to know what you decide.
    -Bonnie

Bonnie I really appreciate
    Bonnie I really appreciate your posting. I'm so sorry you had reoccurence. No one should have to go thru this a first time, but never should anyone have to go thru it again. My heart goes out to all the women who have had this beast return. Sorry to hear you had other problems too. I do have lymph node involvement and my surgeon said at least 10 nodes will be removed, plus then have radiation and possibly chemo. Thanks again and I'll let you know what I decide.
  • Sunrae
    Options
    TLynn0102 said:

The Girls
    Sunrae - I had a double mastectomy in June of 2008. I am in my early 40's, a gene carrier and a survivor of this awful illness. There are so many decisions to make and you can get all the advice in the world but when the pavement meets the road the ultimate decision comes down to what you are comfortable with. I can tell you that the surgery does not hurt; the drains are a pain but they are not in long. They put a big bandage over you so you don't know what things look like. The worst feeling is when they take it off and that is only because you don't know what to expect. At first sight you think this is odd but after a while you get use to it. I went in for form fittings about three weeks after the surgery. The key is to get good ones, mine were okay but they were tempory so they did not fit as well as they should have. I had reconstruction in January of last year which is a whole different story...I chose to have the bilatteral mastectomy for two reasons; the women in my family who had BC had reoccurance and ended up with mastectomy's the second time around. The second reason was for my peace of mind. Along with the bilatteral I had the ovaries removed, and all the other good stuff taken out too. For me it was a 'peace of mind' choice. I knew through the research I did all of this would reduce the chance of reoccurance in my case. Reach within you and ask the tough questions because those are the ones that will make a differece in your choice. Having lost the 'Girls' as I call them is a life changing event but if you are comfortable with your decision you will be fine. I did notice that sleeping was odd, no where to lay your arm so I had to make adjustments at night but other than that it was not bad at all. I wear tank tops versus a bra now as I did following the surgery, it is much nicer so that is a plus. Its a tough decision and only one you can make. I wish the very best as you move forward through your process and will pray that you come to a decision that you are comfortable with.

TLynn, thanks for posting.
    TLynn, thanks for posting. Im sorry to here that you had to go thru so much but sounds like you are doing well. My ovaries are already gone, along with gall bladder, appendix. I really hated the thought of losing anything else but don't have much choice. Reconstruction is not in my future and I'm not sure how much surgery I can have at one time. I'm a diabetic, along with asthma and moderate COPD, high blood pressure and some quirky heart problem. Seems like having just one breast may be so strange so will having no breasts be stranger. Still up in the air but will have to decide soon. I value all these posts and keep reading them every day. I can only come here and get help and support. No one who hasn't been there can help me so I love all of you and thank you from the bottom of my heart.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Sunrae said:

Bonnie I really appreciate
    Bonnie I really appreciate your posting. I'm so sorry you had reoccurence. No one should have to go thru this a first time, but never should anyone have to go thru it again. My heart goes out to all the women who have had this beast return. Sorry to hear you had other problems too. I do have lymph node involvement and my surgeon said at least 10 nodes will be removed, plus then have radiation and possibly chemo. Thanks again and I'll let you know what I decide.

I was a uni for 15 years it
    I was a uni for 15 years it was awkward as my remaining breast absorbed the estrogen and I gained weight and it was hard to match with a prosthesis. Now I am bilatral and feel almost more normal because I am symetrical. The estrogen thing woulnt be an issue for you . You might want to consider going through constant biopsies etc... if that would happen. and what would decrease your chances of dealing with this again. As Ihave said I wish I had done away with both in the beginning. But my circumstnaces were diffeent, different age, different hormone status. I hope you make the best decision for you . God Bless