Pain management through diet

aveenam
aveenam Member Posts: 11
edited March 2014 in Caregivers #1
Dear brave soliders (all caregivers) I am new at this and would probably remind you of your selves at some point or another, researching everything and wanting dad to try every gimmick or idea under the sun. But I know I need to sift and do the RIGHT thing. He is in much pain currently on 30mg morphine twice a day and eating little has much mealie meal proddige and ensure buildup with milk.
I have read some where no milk stuff what has been your experience.
HAve any of you tried the fast and red grapes or carrot juice diet (Juicing it up)
What works best for the pain and to build energy?

I truly hope your experience can help me to help my dad get through.
Dad has terminal cancner of the colon and spread to liver and bones.

Thanks in advance
Aveena

Comments

• CherylMike
    CherylMike Member Posts: 118
    Pain Management
    Aveena~ My husband had head and neck cancer that mets to his organs, lymph system and bones. Pain became a big issue as well as weight and vomiting. We went to a pain managment facility that worked to get the pain and vomiting under control. Please speak to your dad's doctor as they can adjust medicine or use a different kind of medicine for pain (the fentynl patches go directly on the skin and time release pain medications so that there are no ups and downs in pain management). My husband ended up having a pain pump put in. (It went under the skin and time released pain medications directly into his spine - this worked extremely well, but requires surgery). Mike drank a gallon of whole milk every other day. He mixed it with weight gaining powders. He also needed the milk to swallow any kind of food as the radiation destroyed his salivary glands. I would also ask your doctor to recommend a nutricianist as they could help your dad with his dietary needs or ask his doctor for advice. I know my husband lost his appetite and getting him to eat was a challenge. The shakes worked as he took a weight gaining powder mixed with whole milk and various fruits. He also liked Dr. Robics shakes (like a smoothie) that would mix in a shot of protein. McDonalds ice cream sundeas with chocolate sauce were a favorite. I will keep you in my prayers~Cheryl