super scary science

snommintj
snommintj Member Posts: 601
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I contemplate the origin and nature of the universe from time to time. The LHC has me baffled. I truly doubt they will be able to impart enough momentum to break apart the tiniest of particles in search of the elusive, and currently imaginary, Higgs boson. I think there are other ways to explain the gravitational anomalies of spiral galaxies. There are some huge risks involved. I know that the chance of a singularity event is immensely small but it cannot be ruled out. Black holes, no matter how tiny, are still black holes. I haven't done the math but I guess within a few seconds of one being created the earth would be pulled apart atom by atom at about the speed of light as the earth crossed the event horizon. Black holes not withstanding. The only way they will learn anything new is if they could capture these fleeting sub nuclear particles then accelerate and collide them; then they might have a chance to peek into the origin of the universe. Until they can do that I predict they will only be able to identify a few smaller and more energetic particles.

Comments

• This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • fringetree
    fringetree Member Posts: 65
    I contemplate the origin and
    I contemplate the origin and nature of the universe constantly! I find it very upsetting that I will never REALLY understand it, at least in this lifetime. I am a little scared about the LHC, but I look forward to hearing the results (as relayed by a physicist with good communication skills). I can't even begin to comprehend the math, much less do it, but Google says at 10^ -32 s after the big bang it was 10^27 degrees C...at least if there is a black hole, it would all be over before we had time to be frightened about it!
  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member

I contemplate the origin and
    I contemplate the origin and nature of the universe constantly! I find it very upsetting that I will never REALLY understand it, at least in this lifetime. I am a little scared about the LHC, but I look forward to hearing the results (as relayed by a physicist with good communication skills). I can't even begin to comprehend the math, much less do it, but Google says at 10^ -32 s after the big bang it was 10^27 degrees C...at least if there is a black hole, it would all be over before we had time to be frightened about it!

Perhaps the origin of the universe or life as we know it
    is not meant to be understood but peoople think it is because they can "think"....My final take, for what its worth (going out on a limb)is that this world would have been a lot better off without people as we are the only ones destroying it.....Steve