My mother

traci12078
traci12078 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
15 years ago my mother was diagnosed with Breast Cancer.She had a masectomy the day after I had my daughter went through some chemo and then got a clean bill of health.That has changed in the past couple months.In September she broke her Pelvis and then about 3 weeks ago she broke her femur bone.They have since found mets on her legs and liver.Her Oncologist is confident that with radiation(which she started last week and seems to be handling well) and approximately 5 rounds of chemo the mets will be gone.Despite what he has said I am so very scared that I am going to lose her.Has anyone on here had mets in these areas or know anyone that has??

Comments

• susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Hi Traci
    I want to tell you how sorry I am that your Mother's cancer is back. It is always so sad to read of a recurrence. I can't answer your question as I don't know anyone or have that information. Your Mother's oncologist is the best one to go to for any questions. I will be praying for your Mother.

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
    This is tough!
    I'm so sorry to hear about the recurrence in your mother--it must have been devastating to hear the news. I don't think we can ever get "ready" to lose our mothers . . . it just hurts so much to think about.

It sounds like your daughter is barely 15, too, so it must be frightening for her as well.

It sounds like the oncologist feels quite positive about your mother's prognosis--that's good news and something to hang onto. If at all possible, it's going to be important for you to be as positive as as you can with your mother as you support her emotionally through this time.

I haven't had your mother's experience. From what I've read, another thing that might help--and maybe the oncologist has already begun this--is the use of bisphosphonates. They don't kill the cancer, but they can alter the bone environment so that the cancer can't survive and grow there. Dr. Susan Love mentions pamidronate (Aredia) or zolendronic acid (Zometa) as two possibilities in her Breast Book, 4th edition (p. 508), and CureToday.com published an article about a study showing that the use of denosumab (Prolia) in bone metastases was very helpful. You can probably find the article at curetoday.com by searching either Prolia or "Bone Drug in Limbo," and it could be helpful for your mother to ask the oncologist about these options.

Wishing you and your mother a happy future full of love! Sandy
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    I was diagnosed with breast
    I was diagnosed with breast cancer in July 2008. I also had mets to my bones and liver. I had 12 rounds of chemo, a drug called Herceptin for a year and monthly infusions of a drug called Zometa which is to strengthn my bones. My last scan in October came back stable so I am in remission right now. I would listen to her oncologist, i know that i had good results from the chemo. i just want to let you know that there is hope, I believe that your mom will be ok. I still go for monthly treatments of zometa, i will need that for the rest of my life
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    meena1 said:

I was diagnosed with breast
    I was diagnosed with breast cancer in July 2008. I also had mets to my bones and liver. I had 12 rounds of chemo, a drug called Herceptin for a year and monthly infusions of a drug called Zometa which is to strengthn my bones. My last scan in October came back stable so I am in remission right now. I would listen to her oncologist, i know that i had good results from the chemo. i just want to let you know that there is hope, I believe that your mom will be ok. I still go for monthly treatments of zometa, i will need that for the rest of my life

Continued Good Health to you
    Continued Good Health to you meena~ you are an encouragement to be sure!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    chenheart said:

Continued Good Health to you
    Continued Good Health to you meena~ you are an encouragement to be sure!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Traci, sure am sorry to hear
    Traci, sure am sorry to hear the news about your mother. Looks like there are some positive posts here regarding similar conditions like your mother's. You both have my prayers for a successful outcome. You're one strong woman and I'm sure your mom is too. Sending you lots of hugs!
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Sunrae said:

Traci, sure am sorry to hear
    Traci, sure am sorry to hear the news about your mother. Looks like there are some positive posts here regarding similar conditions like your mother's. You both have my prayers for a successful outcome. You're one strong woman and I'm sure your mom is too. Sending you lots of hugs!

Traci, I pray that your
    Traci, I pray that your Mother will fight this and be just fine again! There are several women on here that have had a recurrence with bc, and, even had several new cancers and they are still alive and kicking! Don't ever give up!

Hugs, Leeza
  • Deb1969
    Deb1969 Member Posts: 165
    jnl said:

Traci, I pray that your
    Traci, I pray that your Mother will fight this and be just fine again! There are several women on here that have had a recurrence with bc, and, even had several new cancers and they are still alive and kicking! Don't ever give up!

Hugs, Leeza

I was disgnosed in August of
    I was disgnosed in August of this year, i was 39 at the time. I have BC with liver mets. I was scheduled to take 4 rounds of AC then 4 rounds of Taxol followed by Herceptin. Yesterday my oncologist changed the plan. Im going to get 6 rounds of AC then switch to Taxol. She said he didnt want to switch from the AC just yet since my tumors were responding well.
    Deb