diabetes

Options
2»

Comments

• fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options

I'm glad
    Stef, I think you might find that the insulin gives more control, especially while your body is stressed. Once I had taken Metformin and Glipizide, there was not much more I could do...but take another tablet. With the Insulin, the doctor gave me a sliding scale of how many units to take depending on my numbers. Then when I had a really high spike, I would take a few units of instant insulin(Novolog) I think when all this is over, I may be able to get off the insulin all together, but at least it has given me some control right now. I hope you get some relief.

Thank you so much for this
    Thank you so much for this info. We are giving it another 3 months and then I can add yet another pill because I am at the max of metformin and glipizide. I have been a diabetic for around 15 years. I did really well at first with weight loss, exercise and a change in eating habits and I know that if I would take off the pounds I put back on and step up my exercise I could control it with the meds I am currently taking. I have started to exercise again and my sugars are down to 130/140 in the morning, much improved over the last three months of 160 and over. The problem I have with these meds is big drops sometimes. The other night I dropped to 43 and had to have my hubby get me juice and chocolate I felt that weak. And then I had a 63 a week ago. I hate the swings. SO when I go back in February, I will talk to him about insulin. It's funny that when I was diagnosed with this I freaked out way more than I did with any of my cancer diagnoses. It seemed so scary and so permanent. The cancer I could do treatments and get rid of it, but this is here to stay. Funny how differently we all react to the events in our lives.
    Stef
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    Options
    fauxma said:

Thank you so much for this
    Thank you so much for this info. We are giving it another 3 months and then I can add yet another pill because I am at the max of metformin and glipizide. I have been a diabetic for around 15 years. I did really well at first with weight loss, exercise and a change in eating habits and I know that if I would take off the pounds I put back on and step up my exercise I could control it with the meds I am currently taking. I have started to exercise again and my sugars are down to 130/140 in the morning, much improved over the last three months of 160 and over. The problem I have with these meds is big drops sometimes. The other night I dropped to 43 and had to have my hubby get me juice and chocolate I felt that weak. And then I had a 63 a week ago. I hate the swings. SO when I go back in February, I will talk to him about insulin. It's funny that when I was diagnosed with this I freaked out way more than I did with any of my cancer diagnoses. It seemed so scary and so permanent. The cancer I could do treatments and get rid of it, but this is here to stay. Funny how differently we all react to the events in our lives.
    Stef

Becky, be sure and monitor
    Becky, be sure and monitor your sugar levels and keep a record. Call you dr and tell them what the readings are if you can't get in for an appt. I sounds like it may be from the steriods you're taking. Most steriods raise the blood sugar levels. Take care of yourself and do what you have to do to stay ahead of this effect.
    Stef, I controlled my diabetes for several years on a couple of pills but over the years it started building up. Last year I went to ER with a heart problem, was released with nothing being found, except my blood sugars went high, my A1C level was 8.8 and I was told I had to go on long lasting insulin which seems to be working. After an asthma problem a few weeks ago and prednisone my levels are high again. Don't be afraid of taking insulin. I fought taking it for many years and now find that its easier to work with my high levels. I'm still on metformin and glyburide, the maximum I can take. We have to watch our diets closely too, which I'm real bad at. Hope you get all this resolved soon.