how to get your gas and/or electricity bills lowered

Options
lisa42
lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi,

Now that we're definitely into winter and everyone's heaters are running full steam, I thought I'd share some information for those of you who aren't aware of this. Serrana from this board (and who also lives near me) shared this info w/ me a few months ago.

I live in San Diego county, CA and here our gas and electricity comes together on one bill. SDGE (San Diego Gas & Electricity) offers a discount program for people who have medical reasons for needing to use the heat in the winter and air conditioning in the summer by offering the "Medical Baseline Allowance" program. Basically, anyone with a debilitating or terminal illness (how I hate to say that, but for medical purposes and for purposes of getting this approved, anyone is who stage IV or actively going through treatment can qualify under this terminology). Normally, a certain amount of therms or units of energy are allowed on the bill and are charged at the "baseline" amount. Normally, when you go over this amount, you are charged at a higher rate per therm or per unit. This program makes it so that your baseline allowance is much higher and you can basically use more electricity and/or gas as is needed for the heater to run (or air conditioning in the summer months).
*In addition, SDGE offers a 20% discount available to those who qualify according to their income level.

**It's definitely worth checking out with your gas and/or electric companies in the area you live in to see if they offer similar programs & I imagine that most do.
For SDGE, I was able to download a form off their website (or I could have just called them) to get the form to fill out. My doctor had to fill it out as well (just one short page), verifying the medical neccesity. I felt funny asking my doctor about it at first, but he was glad to do it and says he's filled out many of these forms for his patients.
With SDGE, it needs to be recertified every two years.

Take care out there, everyone!
Lisa

Comments

• lisa42
    Options
    bumpin this up
    Hi,

Just bumping this to the top in hopes people will see it.
  • P_I_T_A
    P_I_T_A Member Posts: 133
    Options
    lisa42 said:

bumpin this up
    Hi,

Just bumping this to the top in hopes people will see it.

Averaged bill
    GA Power has a program where they average your bill out over the past year and you pay the average each month. That way the highs aren't too high. But, your low months won't be as low either. I'd just check with your power company and see something like that is available.

-DJ
  • lisa42
    Options
    P_I_T_A said:

Averaged bill
    GA Power has a program where they average your bill out over the past year and you pay the average each month. That way the highs aren't too high. But, your low months won't be as low either. I'd just check with your power company and see something like that is available.

-DJ

bumping
    Bumping this to the top so more people will see it. :)
  • melissaincali
    melissaincali Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Great Info
    PG & E has it too. I just looked it up. As soon as we get back to California I am going to sign up. Thanks for the info.
    Melissa
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options

Great Info
    PG & E has it too. I just looked it up. As soon as we get back to California I am going to sign up. Thanks for the info.
    Melissa

ttt
    back "to the top"
  • idlehunters
    idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Buzzard said:

ttt
    back "to the top"

LOL
    Look at that PURDY Santa Buzzard..... awwwwwwww! LOL

Jennie