Hi, newbie here..

Options
2»

Comments

• Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Options
    Hello and welcome misann
    I had to have the second surgery also. My surgeon said that the margin was clean but close and he wanted to say that he did everything that he could so he wanted to take out more. I also had to have more nodes taken out so that made my second surgery a bit worse than the first. I had a drain with the second surgery.

I think that you will find that this is very common. As someone else said your decision is just that, your decision. No right or wrong.
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Options
    Hi misann
    I had invasive dcis and decided to have bilateral mastectomies in may. I kinda didnt have the choice to do the lumpectomy because there was just too may areas in the breast that were involved and it would have just disfigured the breast...so off they went!!!

I dont regret my decision but I do have to have reconstruction which is a pain, but I feel that I was pretty aggressive with my treatment and I cant do much else.

So be at peace with your decision and have faith in your surgeon and pray lots and lots!!!

HUgs
    Linda T
  • pgrace35
    pgrace35 Member Posts: 122
    Options
    misann said:

Thank you for your post
    Thank you for your post Susie. I personally have had a lot of criticism on my decision so I think that's why I'm second guessing, and of course the fact that I now have to go in for more surgery. But I have great faith in the Lord and He has lead me to this decision and I also have faith in my surgeon that she won't steer me wrong. Thank you for your good wishes. I send good wishes and blessings to you as well.

Welcome Misann
    So glad you came aboard....there is such huge support here. As for your decision, it is not unusual that they may have to go back in. I was diagnosed in Sept, had surgery, been through chemo onto radiation next and now hear from my radiation oncologist that she is concerned they didn't remove enough margin area,chance I may have to go back. I'm sorry you have had a lot of criticism, this process is difficult enough without that. Just go with your instinct, what YOU think is best for you. And when you need support and not criticism, come here. Good luck, sending you good thoughts and prayers.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    Jadie said:

Hello and welcome misann
    I had to have the second surgery also. My surgeon said that the margin was clean but close and he wanted to say that he did everything that he could so he wanted to take out more. I also had to have more nodes taken out so that made my second surgery a bit worse than the first. I had a drain with the second surgery.

I think that you will find that this is very common. As someone else said your decision is just that, your decision. No right or wrong.

Welcome misann!
    I had a lumpectomy. After 6 weeks, I started my radiation treatments which I got thru with very few side effects. The exhaustion was really the worse for me. This was the treatment plan I was given and it was what I did.

Going back in to get clear margins is common, so, please don't worry too much about that. It happens, and, unfortunately, you will have to go thru surgery again.

Any decision that is made for your health should be made by you. If anyone is contradicting your choice, then, in my opinion, you should tell them to butt out. In a nice way ofcourse.

Good luck Misann!

KYLEZ ♥
  • stanisz
    stanisz Member Posts: 5
    Options
    mlmjt1 said:

Hi misann
    I had invasive dcis and decided to have bilateral mastectomies in may. I kinda didnt have the choice to do the lumpectomy because there was just too may areas in the breast that were involved and it would have just disfigured the breast...so off they went!!!

I dont regret my decision but I do have to have reconstruction which is a pain, but I feel that I was pretty aggressive with my treatment and I cant do much else.

So be at peace with your decision and have faith in your surgeon and pray lots and lots!!!

HUgs
    Linda T

bilaterals w/ reconstruction
    Hi Linda T,
    I am brand new to this forum and would like to be able to bounce some questions, comments concerns about my surgery and treatment w/ those that have walked this path as well.
    Can you help me navigate my way through this site?
    Any help/advice you can offer is greatly appreciated!

Hope you're having a good day,
    t ; )