Herceptin and the heart

Kat11
Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I know herceptin can enlarge the heart. I have had this problem, but not so bad that I had to stop. I get a echo every few weeks so this can be watched. I just finish my last Taxol treatment with the herceptin. I will continue for a total of 52 weeks having herceptin every 3 weeks.That last treatment with taxol & herceptin my heart started to race. I could not feel this, but the monitor was reading a high heart rate like 156. They did an ekg to play it safe and all was well with that. They kept me for 2 hours until the rate went down to 124 which is still high. Doctor did not know why this was going on. Yesterday, I was at first Rads appointment and heart rate not so bad 102 but it should be below 100. Has any one had this and what was the cause.

Comments

• Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Heart
    I have this problem also, but I came into brst ca with a racing heart already. I have noticed that it seems to accelrate after tx with herceptin. I'm also just on herceptin and rads. Finished Taxol 10/22/09. Thought maybe it was the taxol. Changing my mind. I see my onc tomorrow, and I have my question ready. I have undiagnosised high hr that in turn drops my bp to dangerous lows. 50/30's. The treatments, which ever it is, def aggravating my pre-exsisting problems. I'll let you know what my onc tells me.You should ask yours too.
    Question, what doc were you seeing when this happened?
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Kat
    I wish I did have information that could help you, Kathy. I just wanted to tell you I am thinking of you and hoping that whatever is causing the high heart rate is temporary and can be taken care of quickly. So glad you finished the taxol, finally. Yea for that! Hang in there; you will make it.
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Kat... just wanted you to
    Kat... just wanted you to know that your in my thoughts... glad the Taxol is behind you...crossing my fingers, and saying a prayer that the heart goes back to a nice slow steady pace my friend.

Hugs,

~T
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    taleena said:

Kat... just wanted you to
    Kat... just wanted you to know that your in my thoughts... glad the Taxol is behind you...crossing my fingers, and saying a prayer that the heart goes back to a nice slow steady pace my friend.

Hugs,

~T

Thanks, I was just hoping
    Thanks, I was just hoping this was a normal thing, cause by drugs or something. Well if it does not stop doctor will have to figure it out.
  • Sam726
    Sam726 Member Posts: 233
    Kat11 said:

Thanks, I was just hoping
    Thanks, I was just hoping this was a normal thing, cause by drugs or something. Well if it does not stop doctor will have to figure it out.

me too
    My heart rate is always high but I think its from nerves..lol, doctor has never shown concern and my last MUGA scan was good. My heart performance actually improved..go figure?? Hope you are well...I too have to take Herceptin every 3 weeks for a year.
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi Kat
    I started taxol/herceptin in august. The taxol was every 2 wks for 4 sessions and the herceptin was weekly for about 10 wks then dec to every 3 wks x 1 year. I have had 3 muga scans now. That is supposed to measure your ejection fraction or the strength at which your heart pumps. Normal is 50 to 55 or so. My first muga was 70 before I started the meds, then it dropped to 66 after the taxol was done. My last one which was last monday dropped down to 52. While it is still normal, it dropped 18 points from my baseline so my oncologist had to hold my every 3 wk dose last wk. If it doesnt come up next month, then she will hold it again and recheck it in 1 month again. I guess you can go into heart failure if it goes into the 30s or less.

Hopefully it will return to normal next time...go figure..I had started jogging again and had myself up to almost 2 miles so now Im too freaked out to continue...but its december in wisconsin and we just got dumped on with 11 inches of snow so I guess ice cream will have to be my substitute, hey???

Hang in there
    Hugs
    Linda T