port removal

Options
beckyracn
beckyracn Member Posts: 322
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
I have just reached the one year date of remission from IVA cervical ca. Yesterday my oncologist scheduled to have my port removed 12/21. I fear that this is too soon. Has anyone had their port removed so soon?

Comments

• MMK
    MMK Member Posts: 2
    Options
    port removal
    I had mine removed a few months after my last chemo - no problems
  • msfanciful
    msfanciful Member Posts: 559
    Options
    Port removal
    Hi, i'm just new to this site; so please bear with me.

On February 2007 I was diagnosed with stage IV ovarian cancer. I don't have to tell you how devastating it was for me to hear that at the time.

Nevertheless; I am here, asymptomatic at the time and using everyday to become as knowledgeable and aware and at the same time to live each day in joy.

This is only my opinion, yet i'm a little concerned about the removal and here's my reason...

After one year of remission, i was very anxious to have my port removed. (I think in my mind the removal of my port meant the end of my cancer worries). My doctor was insistent not to do so. She stated " those cancers are pretty sneaky and might try to come back." First I was livid with her an thought, "this port is in my body not hers!!!" But guess what? Right after that first year, my CA-125 was tripling quickly. Upon a cat-scan, my lymph nodes in the abdomen region (only 2) were pretty enlarged and right after the holidays of 2008, I began a second round of chemo, six cycles this time. Eight the previous time. It was a blow, but you know what? Because of her foresight i'm still and approaching the 3yr mark in February 2010 with stage IV ovarian cancer! She was right! June 2 2009 was my last chemo date, and i have been doing great so far.

Now? I can't imagine life without it. Actually, i'm glad it's there because it will be my lifeline (god forbid) in the event i need it again. LOL. from time to time i feel for it to make sure it's still there because i've become that use to it. :-).

I just go in about once every month and a half, to have it flushed. I guess now knowing what it takes to prepare and go through chemo, i could'nt imagine having to go the process of reimplanting another port.

So don't rush anything and you'll be fine.
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options

Port removal

On February 2007 I was diagnosed with stage IV ovarian cancer. I don't have to tell you how devastating it was for me to hear that at the time.

Nevertheless; I am here, asymptomatic at the time and using everyday to become as knowledgeable and aware and at the same time to live each day in joy.

This is only my opinion, yet i'm a little concerned about the removal and here's my reason...

After one year of remission, i was very anxious to have my port removed. (I think in my mind the removal of my port meant the end of my cancer worries). My doctor was insistent not to do so. She stated " those cancers are pretty sneaky and might try to come back." First I was livid with her an thought, "this port is in my body not hers!!!" But guess what? Right after that first year, my CA-125 was tripling quickly. Upon a cat-scan, my lymph nodes in the abdomen region (only 2) were pretty enlarged and right after the holidays of 2008, I began a second round of chemo, six cycles this time. Eight the previous time. It was a blow, but you know what? Because of her foresight i'm still and approaching the 3yr mark in February 2010 with stage IV ovarian cancer! She was right! June 2 2009 was my last chemo date, and i have been doing great so far.

Now? I can't imagine life without it. Actually, i'm glad it's there because it will be my lifeline (god forbid) in the event i need it again. LOL. from time to time i feel for it to make sure it's still there because i've become that use to it. :-).

I just go in about once every month and a half, to have it flushed. I guess now knowing what it takes to prepare and go through chemo, i could'nt imagine having to go the process of reimplanting another port.

Stage IV
    I'll keep mine too. My oncologist says it won't wear out. Glad to have it. Saundra
  • beckyracn
    Options
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

It's over with...my port is
    It's over with...my port is out...YES! For some reason I was really freaked out about having it done. Not sure if was the thought of possibly having one placed again in the future or maybe not being "ready, set, go" in the event of a recurrance. Just glad I took the time to give myself a really nice gift for Xmas & B-day :)
    Thanks for all the input ladies!
  • newhopechurchli
    newhopechurchli Member Posts: 126
    Options
    beckyracn said:

It's over with...my port is
    It's over with...my port is out...YES! For some reason I was really freaked out about having it done. Not sure if was the thought of possibly having one placed again in the future or maybe not being "ready, set, go" in the event of a recurrance. Just glad I took the time to give myself a really nice gift for Xmas & B-day :)
    Thanks for all the input ladies!

Port removal.
    I had my port removed several months after my last chemo treatment. The port was attached to my ribs... is that the one you have? If so, like someone else said.... they usually don't put that type of port back in - so there is no reason to keep it in! I wish you well..... and of course... good health :)
    Tricia
  • Mawty
    Mawty Member Posts: 133
    Options

Port removal.
    I had my port removed several months after my last chemo treatment. The port was attached to my ribs... is that the one you have? If so, like someone else said.... they usually don't put that type of port back in - so there is no reason to keep it in! I wish you well..... and of course... good health :)
    Tricia

Port Removal
    I had to have my port removed before I finished my chemo because it became infected. I was in the hospital for days with IV antibiotics. I then had to have my last chemo (was supposed to have more but the chemo became too much for my body) with a regular IV. For some reason it burned like crazy. They had to slow it down so I could stand it. I don't miss my port, but I sure don't want to ever take chemo again without one.

I'm glad you had yours removed and feel good about it. And I pray you never need to have chemo again.
  • misspokey
    misspokey Member Posts: 25
    Options
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

IP port removal
    Hi. I had an IP port also and when done with my cycles of chemo, it came out. Way I understood from my oncologist is they can only use it once, it had to come out and then can't go in again. Where as the IP port, can stay in and use for longer. Not quite sure the reasonings on the difference, other than they said the abdominal treatments were strong/hard ones. All I know is this IP one sure saves my veins as before didn't have it and veins started to give troubles, now it's a quicker easier treatement. WAnda
  • beckyracn
    Options
    misspokey said:

IP port removal
    Hi. I had an IP port also and when done with my cycles of chemo, it came out. Way I understood from my oncologist is they can only use it once, it had to come out and then can't go in again. Where as the IP port, can stay in and use for longer. Not quite sure the reasonings on the difference, other than they said the abdominal treatments were strong/hard ones. All I know is this IP one sure saves my veins as before didn't have it and veins started to give troubles, now it's a quicker easier treatement. WAnda

Well, although the port
    Well, although the port removal went well and the site was healing nicely, my body decided to throw me a curve ball. Day 11 after port removal the site started getting red. Day 12 (Jan. 1st)it had developed into an abscess and I had to meet my surgeon at the ER so she could lance and pack it...started on antibiotics. Next day it was still spreading, so on to new antibiotics which are working. Yesterday back to doc and they had to totally open it back up and pack it. At least this time they gave me a local, she did not in the ER and boy did that hurt! Not how I wanted to start the New Year and hope it's not a glimpse of the year to come.
  • zinaida
    zinaida Member Posts: 221
    Options

Port removal

About port
    My port was removed a year after last chimo. 1 year and 2 month after that ovarian cancer come back.01-12-10 another port installed, and it is again in my right side. Because a had breast cancer an left side. It is first 3 years big risk for cancer to come back. It is not easy to remove it and then installed it again. Everyone make there own decission.Think about, don't rush, with best wishes, Zina. :)