Nurse just called

Options
Paula G.
Paula G. Member Posts: 596
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
John's nurse just called. He had his bloodwork done on Friday and his Avastin infusion. I was hoping that his CEA had dropped from the last visit. It was the same 11.1. He had been down to 7.1 at one time. She said that sable is good but she knew what I meant when I told her I wanted it to be lower. Even one point would have made my day better. But I guess I will take sable for this one and hope the next one will be lower. He won't have another scan for a couple of months. Thanks for listening. Paula

Comments

• Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Options
    That's Right!
    Hi Paula

In reading your post, I don't need to say anything, because you have figured it out :)

Stable is better than higher nunmbers - and we'll wait and "get 'em" next scan period!

Nice seeing you and praying for peace and calm for you both during this holiday season and beyond.

-Craig
  • lesvanb
    lesvanb Member Posts: 905
    Options
    Stable is good
    Hi Paula

I just wanted to send along love to you and John. CEA can jump around anyway and the fact that it is stable is a good sign. On another board I'm on I got this response to living with cancer and worrying about CT results which was helpful to me: "Ups and downs ... this is the part those "without" cancer do not understand. We are either up or down, or thinking about being up or down. It is a "state of mind" the disease places on us. It is ever changing. And, it is always there."

Love, Leslie
  • KATE58
    KATE58 Member Posts: 299
    Options
    lesvanb said:

Stable is good
    Hi Paula

I just wanted to send along love to you and John. CEA can jump around anyway and the fact that it is stable is a good sign. On another board I'm on I got this response to living with cancer and worrying about CT results which was helpful to me: "Ups and downs ... this is the part those "without" cancer do not understand. We are either up or down, or thinking about being up or down. It is a "state of mind" the disease places on us. It is ever changing. And, it is always there."

Love, Leslie

My doctor has not even taken
    My doctor has not even taken my CEA in 3 years because it has always been
    in the 'normal range' and never changed regardless of how much or how little
    cancer I had in my body.
    He said with some people it just is not a reliable indicator.
  • luv3jay
    luv3jay Member Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    The news could have
    The news could have definitely been worse, so just hang in there! Stable is a better word than some others I have heard in the past!

-Sheri
  • Paula G.
    Paula G. Member Posts: 596
    Options
    luv3jay said:

The news could have
    The news could have definitely been worse, so just hang in there! Stable is a better word than some others I have heard in the past!

-Sheri

Thanks
    Stable is good. And you are all right. Our lives are full of ups and downs now. Not that life isn't that way without cancer. It just seems more urgent for lack of a better word. I guess I need to try and chill out a bit. Thanks for being here and listening to me. I do appreciate all of you. Paula
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Sorry
    I'm sorry you didn't get a drop like you wanted, but stable sounds pretty good. We'll be praying for a drop in his CEA next time!

*hugs*
    Gail