Surgery preparation

rene9
rene9 Member Posts: 214
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi. I will be having a masectomy of my left breast on Dec. 15. I will also have reconstruction. I will get expanders to be followed by silicone, I think, the plastic surgeon said I didn't have enough belly fat for the other surgery, which sounded scarey with 6 plus hours of surgery...Also, I am a B cup. Question is what type of clothing do I need to have? What type of bra? Thanks and I am starting to sweat!

rene9

Comments

• LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
    Hang in there!
    Quite often the hospital will provide a bra that will have attachments to hold a drain. Hopefully they'll provide 2 of them so you can wash one while wearing the other.

Most people find that button-up shirts are most comfortable during this time. You might also want warm, maybe fleece, zip-up tops if you live somewhere cold.

You might want to call your surgeon's office and ask them about the bra. If you don't know whether there will be a drain (or even 2 drains), ask about that as well. They should be giving you all this info, but I think sometimes they assume you know or that you don't want to know yet or something.

You won't want to wear an underwire, most likely--which you may not anyway with your size. Sports bras can make great back-up bras after the drain(s) come(s) out. I've been using a sports bra quite a bit since the drains came out, as it doesn't put pressure on incisions but it holds the breast fairly still so that bouncing doesn't hurt. ;)

Good luck, Rene9!

Sandy
  • Kim59
    Kim59 Member Posts: 43
    prep
    Hi Rene,

I had mastectomy with expanders 10/30. I bought a few sports bras. They give you good support. I also found a type of sports bra by Barely There (brand name) it doesn't have any support so not good for day time but I wear at night. As far as clothing for the 1st couple of weeks I wore sweats and big tops. I was able to lift my arms but some people have trouble so have a top with buttons too. I had 2 drains so I pinned them to my top. After 3 weeks I went back to work and I wear all my regular clothes.

Hope this helps.

Kim
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769

Hang in there!
    Quite often the hospital will provide a bra that will have attachments to hold a drain. Hopefully they'll provide 2 of them so you can wash one while wearing the other.

Most people find that button-up shirts are most comfortable during this time. You might also want warm, maybe fleece, zip-up tops if you live somewhere cold.

You might want to call your surgeon's office and ask them about the bra. If you don't know whether there will be a drain (or even 2 drains), ask about that as well. They should be giving you all this info, but I think sometimes they assume you know or that you don't want to know yet or something.

You won't want to wear an underwire, most likely--which you may not anyway with your size. Sports bras can make great back-up bras after the drain(s) come(s) out. I've been using a sports bra quite a bit since the drains came out, as it doesn't put pressure on incisions but it holds the breast fairly still so that bouncing doesn't hurt. ;)

Good luck, Rene9!

Sandy

I was
    I was given a corset type thing to wear after surgery--they gave me two. Neither one of them had pockets for the drains so I safety pinned them.
    The corset type thing wrapped around me with Velcro down the whole front.

You want tops that close in the front with either zippers of buttons.

Every surgeon is different in what they want you to wear.

After I had my expanders taken out and silicone implants put in my plastic surgeon told me to wear a push up bra after 36 hours so then I had to go and buy one since I hadn't worn a bra from Feb-Nov and spent 18/50 on this bra and then a week later she said either no bra or a soft sided bra--no underwires. Well haven't found one yet so braless for me unless I wear something that is somewhat see through then I wear that 18.50 bra.

Best of luck,
    Margo
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Hi Rene9! I didn't have a
    Hi Rene9! I didn't have a mastectomy, but, I wanted to wish you good luck with your surgery on the 15th.

HUGS!
  • rene9

Hi Rene9! I didn't have a
    Hi Rene9! I didn't have a mastectomy, but, I wanted to wish you good luck with your surgery on the 15th.

HUGS!

Thx!
    Thx everyone for this information. I just saw some $5 fleece button tops I will go back and purchase and I will get a few more sports bras. I was told I will have a drain after surgery. I was also told to I will go back for a minor surgery to get the implants. But, this won't be done within 6 weeks? Do the expanders fit like implants? Thx and HUGS back!

rene9
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    rene9 said:

Thx!
    Thx everyone for this information. I just saw some $5 fleece button tops I will go back and purchase and I will get a few more sports bras. I was told I will have a drain after surgery. I was also told to I will go back for a minor surgery to get the implants. But, this won't be done within 6 weeks? Do the expanders fit like implants? Thx and HUGS back!

rene9

Hi Rene9! I want to say
    Hi Rene9! I want to say good luck with your surgery. I am praying that all goes well and that you have a speedy recovery!

Lex♥
  • Kim59
    Kim59 Member Posts: 43
    rene9 said:

Thx!

rene9

expanders
    Rene,

My expanders do not look like implants. They are a different shape. Like a triangle. They actually make my breast a funny shape but not noticalbe in your sports bra or clothes. When you have your fills the expanders make your chest feel tight. You get use to it after a couple of days. I just take Tylenol ES for any discomfort.

Kim
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Kim59 said:

expanders
    Rene,

My expanders do not look like implants. They are a different shape. Like a triangle. They actually make my breast a funny shape but not noticalbe in your sports bra or clothes. When you have your fills the expanders make your chest feel tight. You get use to it after a couple of days. I just take Tylenol ES for any discomfort.

Kim

I want to wish you good luck
    I want to wish you good luck with your surgery Rene. Sending prayers and positive thoughts.

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • rene9
    Kim59 said:

expanders
    Rene,

Kim

expanders
    Okay thanks Kim. I just went and bought some more sports bras. I am ready to have this surgery. I'll be a nervous wreck all day Monday though! And I'll keep the pain medicine close.

rene
  • joy2u
    joy2u Member Posts: 9
    rene9 said:

expanders
    Okay thanks Kim. I just went and bought some more sports bras. I am ready to have this surgery. I'll be a nervous wreck all day Monday though! And I'll keep the pain medicine close.

rene

Expanders
    Hi Rene, you will do just fine. I think the Mast. with reconstruction with expanders is easier than the tram flap, and I wasn't a candidate for it, but I'm counting my blessings. I had a bilateral mast. on 11/3, I had my first filling, injection of 50cc's on the past Friday and I didn't feel a think. The pressure after the injection was tight, but bearable.

I wish you much luck with your surgery. Start stretching now so you'll be more limber prior to surgery and you'll be able to pick up stretching a few days after surgery. It helps you sleep better. You'll be sleeping on your back only for a few days or a couple of weeks. The pain pill help you through all of it though. Best of luck with your surgery. Be sure and log on and let us know how you did.

Joy
  • rene9
    joy2u said:

Expanders
    Hi Rene, you will do just fine. I think the Mast. with reconstruction with expanders is easier than the tram flap, and I wasn't a candidate for it, but I'm counting my blessings. I had a bilateral mast. on 11/3, I had my first filling, injection of 50cc's on the past Friday and I didn't feel a think. The pressure after the injection was tight, but bearable.

I wish you much luck with your surgery. Start stretching now so you'll be more limber prior to surgery and you'll be able to pick up stretching a few days after surgery. It helps you sleep better. You'll be sleeping on your back only for a few days or a couple of weeks. The pain pill help you through all of it though. Best of luck with your surgery. Be sure and log on and let us know how you did.

Joy

Hi Joy
    I only have 4 more days until I have my surgery. I can't wait but I am getting very nervous! I've been reading how some people have to wait even longer...this 2 week wait has been torturing me! I also feel good about my decision with the expanders and all. Did you have to have chemo or radiation? I guess I'll find these answers out next week after surgery...I am praying since I'm a 'B' cup it won't take a lot of fillings. The plastic surgeon also mentioned that the reconstructed breast would be perkier than the other breast and he may have to do a lift on the right brest. I was like "whatever, I like my droopy brests!" But, yes I will definitely log on as soon as I'm able. Take care.

rene9
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    rene9 said:

Hi Joy
    I only have 4 more days until I have my surgery. I can't wait but I am getting very nervous! I've been reading how some people have to wait even longer...this 2 week wait has been torturing me! I also feel good about my decision with the expanders and all. Did you have to have chemo or radiation? I guess I'll find these answers out next week after surgery...I am praying since I'm a 'B' cup it won't take a lot of fillings. The plastic surgeon also mentioned that the reconstructed breast would be perkier than the other breast and he may have to do a lift on the right brest. I was like "whatever, I like my droopy brests!" But, yes I will definitely log on as soon as I'm able. Take care.

rene9

Rene, sounds like you're ready. I'm waiting til Feb for my masectomy so I'll be crazy by then but I plan on not letting it get me too bad. That's the plan. Just think, you'll be so much more perkier then. I like my droopy breasts too but I don't know how its going to be to only have one, and I don't plan on reconstruction. Let us know how you're doing when you feel like it. Sending you warm hugs and raising prayers up for you.
  • rene9
    Sunrae said:

Rene, sounds like you're ready. I'm waiting til Feb for my masectomy so I'll be crazy by then but I plan on not letting it get me too bad. That's the plan. Just think, you'll be so much more perkier then. I like my droopy breasts too but I don't know how its going to be to only have one, and I don't plan on reconstruction. Let us know how you're doing when you feel like it. Sending you warm hugs and raising prayers up for you.

Hi
    I'll be heading to the hospital in less than 8 hours. I know I'm a nervous wreck because I can't sit down. I'm doing homework, folding clothes, paying bills, just everything but trying to go to sleep. I will provide an update as soon as I'm able to get back to this computer.

rene9:)
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    rene9 said:

Hi
    I'll be heading to the hospital in less than 8 hours. I know I'm a nervous wreck because I can't sit down. I'm doing homework, folding clothes, paying bills, just everything but trying to go to sleep. I will provide an update as soon as I'm able to get back to this computer.

Sending you lots of prayers!
    Sending you lots of prayers!
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    rene9 said:

Hi

Keeping busy before surgery seems like what a lot of us do. Praying that everything went well today. Waiting for your update.

HUGS
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    rene9 said:

Hi Joy

rene9

Hoping and praying that your
    Hoping and praying that your surgery went as planned today and that you are resting now.

Debby