Mass growing and a few questions

Options
hairymom
hairymom Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
I posted a question on here a few weeks ago. In the middle of Oct. I had an ultrasound after having pain, upset stomach, bloating and they found a complex bilateral mass with some solid compotents. The doctor ordered a ca-125 which was within normal. The mass about 3.5cm x 4.6. Went to a Gynecologist Oncologist and decided on surgery since the mass is questionable. Surgery was for the 10th of this month but I postponed till first week of January due to family coming in for holidays. My pain started getting worse so Dr. ordered another US. It now has thick walls, and still is septated but is now 10cm x 8.5cm. The tech. even seemed concerned over the change. My stomach is almost always upset.
I am sorry for explaining in so much detail but I wanted to ask those of you out there if this is a normal change and would you still postpone surgery. I have been reading that change like that can be concerning. Any feedback would be so much appreciated.
Thank you, thank you!!
Hairymom

Comments

• Kgirl
    Kgirl Member Posts: 45
    Options
    possible ovarian cancer
    Hairymom (love the name!):

There is a new test called OVA1, approved by the FDA, which measure a number of proteins. It is only approved for use in a situation like yours. It measures a number of proteins (including CA-125) and helps the doctor to determine if the questionable mass is most likely malignant. You can google for more info. I would let your Dr know about this test (I think is has only been available since Sept). It should help you make the decisions you need to make.

Personally, the sooner you get this surgery the better. Catching this disease in stage I or II instead of catching it in stage III or IV can be the difference between life and death.

Good luck and I sincerely hope that it is not malignant. That would be the best Christmas present ever!

Kathy M
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Don't Wait
    I personally would not wait one day before the surgery with a tumor of that size. Saundra
  • hairymom
    Options
    saundra said:

Don't Wait
    I personally would not wait one day before the surgery with a tumor of that size. Saundra

thank you both for
    thank you both for responding. I am a little nervous, but yet prepared to take on whatever lies ahead for me. I was actually hoping that it hadn't changed but was just hurting more. Thank you again and God Bless!
    Hairymom p.s. the name comes from being a mom (obviously) and a hairstylist :)
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    hairymom said:

thank you both for
    thank you both for responding. I am a little nervous, but yet prepared to take on whatever lies ahead for me. I was actually hoping that it hadn't changed but was just hurting more. Thank you again and God Bless!
    Hairymom p.s. the name comes from being a mom (obviously) and a hairstylist :)

A tumor that has more than
    A tumor that has more than doubled in less than two months would be cause for concern, I would think. I had to wait two weeks for surgery, although I would have preferred to have it the day following my ultra sound. Getting the tumor removed was my first priority, so if I were you, I would push for the earliest possible date for the surgery. Believe me, your guests will understand.
  • hairymom
    Options

A tumor that has more than
    A tumor that has more than doubled in less than two months would be cause for concern, I would think. I had to wait two weeks for surgery, although I would have preferred to have it the day following my ultra sound. Getting the tumor removed was my first priority, so if I were you, I would push for the earliest possible date for the surgery. Believe me, your guests will understand.

thank you ladies!! I am
    thank you ladies!! I am surprised by the growth of the mass, and feel like I just want it out. I will feel a lot better after I talk with my doctor tomorrow. The ultrasound tech said she would make sure the dr. got the report Monday morning. I don't want to bother the dr. but knowing now how fast it is growing I would really like to hear from her tomorrow.
    Thank you
    hairymom
  • Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Hi Hairymom
    I'm so glad you decided to talk to your doctor. You're in this together. I'm having surgery for my recurrance on the 17th ( hopefully will be home by the 21st ) and I'm intending to enjoy the holidays recovering from the couch. (((HUGS)))
  • hairymom
    Options
    Mwee said:

Hi Hairymom
    I'm so glad you decided to talk to your doctor. You're in this together. I'm having surgery for my recurrance on the 17th ( hopefully will be home by the 21st ) and I'm intending to enjoy the holidays recovering from the couch. (((HUGS)))

I have my report from my US
    I have my report from my US and it says "no central blood flow but there is some low along the walls of the structure. Minimal free fluid may be present" The DR's nurse called this morning and said the report made the doctor raise her eyebrows and they are going to put me on the cancelation list. I know if it was alarming they would try and do something sooner, I'm guessing. I have read that blood flow and free fluid is not favorable and those are new since the last US. Thank you again for all the feedback.
    God Bless!
    Hairymom
  • hairymom
    Options
    hairymom said:

I have my report from my US
    I have my report from my US and it says "no central blood flow but there is some low along the walls of the structure. Minimal free fluid may be present" The DR's nurse called this morning and said the report made the doctor raise her eyebrows and they are going to put me on the cancelation list. I know if it was alarming they would try and do something sooner, I'm guessing. I have read that blood flow and free fluid is not favorable and those are new since the last US. Thank you again for all the feedback.
    God Bless!
    Hairymom

The DR's nurse called me
    The DR's nurse called me Monday evening after she got out of surgery and they are putting me in for surgery the 17th. Mwee, I will be in surgery the same day, I will be sure and keep you in my prayers. My husband and I pick up our son and pregnant daughter-in-law from Washington on the 16th so I was a little emotional on having surgery the next day (haven't seen them in 6 months) I am trying to get my husband prepared for all the posibilities but he refuses. I am truly a glass half full kind of gal, still am. I just want him to talk frankly with me. thank you for all the feedback, and God Bless!
    Hairymom
  • Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    hairymom said:

The DR's nurse called me
    The DR's nurse called me Monday evening after she got out of surgery and they are putting me in for surgery the 17th. Mwee, I will be in surgery the same day, I will be sure and keep you in my prayers. My husband and I pick up our son and pregnant daughter-in-law from Washington on the 16th so I was a little emotional on having surgery the next day (haven't seen them in 6 months) I am trying to get my husband prepared for all the posibilities but he refuses. I am truly a glass half full kind of gal, still am. I just want him to talk frankly with me. thank you for all the feedback, and God Bless!
    Hairymom

surgery on the same day
    I'll be thinking of you on the 17th. I have the same situation with my husband. It leaves a whole range of emotions and concerns that are not addressed. Will your son and daughter-in-law be able to stay for awhile? Congrats on expecting that grandbaby. We'll recover together...... by the holiday we'll have this part of our adventure in the rear view mirror.