Is anyone taking Femara after 5 years on tamoxifen

AmyBH
AmyBH Member Posts: 9
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I will complete 5 years on tamoxifen in February 2010. Next week we are meeting with my oncologist to discuss whether or not to take Femara after tamoxifen. Researching it shows lots of side effects and I'd rather not. Any advice?

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    I will be switching
    from 9 months on Tamoxifen to Arimidex.
    Probably I will have some information by February.
  • cruf
    cruf Member Posts: 908

I will be switching
    from 9 months on Tamoxifen to Arimidex.
    Probably I will have some information by February.

Femara
    I was on Tamoxifen for 5 years then changed to Femara which I stayed on for 1 1/2 years. I had alot of side effects. Joint pain, trigger thumbs, wt. gain, high chol., low thyroid, dry eyes etc... I changed over to Aromasin for 8 more mos and the side effects con't. I never had any of those side effects prior to the meds. I did not have chemo so this is all from the femara and aromasin. It got to the point where I had a poor quality of life so both my MD and I decided that I should stop. I've been off all BC meds for 2 years and I still have high chol(on meds), low thyroid(on meds), dry eyes(on meds), hot flashes(which the gyno said I may always have)and some joint pain but not foot pain and not as severe. I think you have to weigh the pros and cons and do what is best for you. Remember, not everybody has difficulty with these meds so I think it's worth the try and if you don't feel good on them, then stop. Good luck! HUGS!! Cathy
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    cruf said:

Femara
    I was on Tamoxifen for 5 years then changed to Femara which I stayed on for 1 1/2 years. I had alot of side effects. Joint pain, trigger thumbs, wt. gain, high chol., low thyroid, dry eyes etc... I changed over to Aromasin for 8 more mos and the side effects con't. I never had any of those side effects prior to the meds. I did not have chemo so this is all from the femara and aromasin. It got to the point where I had a poor quality of life so both my MD and I decided that I should stop. I've been off all BC meds for 2 years and I still have high chol(on meds), low thyroid(on meds), dry eyes(on meds), hot flashes(which the gyno said I may always have)and some joint pain but not foot pain and not as severe. I think you have to weigh the pros and cons and do what is best for you. Remember, not everybody has difficulty with these meds so I think it's worth the try and if you don't feel good on them, then stop. Good luck! HUGS!! Cathy

I am wondering
    does patient age make a difference weather or not she will have severe side effects?
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808

I am wondering
    does patient age make a difference weather or not she will have severe side effects?

I've only been on Femara
    I've only been on Femara about 2 1/2 months. I do have night sweats and stiffness in my shoulders, arms and hip area. My onc told me to take calcium, Vit. D, get some sun and exercise. I'm doing some better since I started walking and doing arm exercises. I hope the side effects don't get worse because the drug is shrinking my tumors so I can have surgery. My onc said I will be on Femara for 5 years. Best wishes on whatever decision you make. Wish I could help you more. Take care.
  • california_artist
    california_artist Member Posts: 816 Member
    I would like to reply to that one.
    Hey, I'm from the uterine cancer board where some of the women who now have a rare rotten form of uterine cancer had taken Tamoxifen for five years. I would discuss these risks with your doctor.

claudia
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930

I would like to reply to that one.
    Hey, I'm from the uterine cancer board where some of the women who now have a rare rotten form of uterine cancer had taken Tamoxifen for five years. I would discuss these risks with your doctor.

claudia

Why do you take Femara after
    Why do you take Femara after tamox?

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • AmyBH
    cruf said:

Femara

These are the types of side
    These are the types of side effects I have read about. I guess we'll need to discuss the benefits to following 5 years of tamoxifen with any drug versus just going off the tamoxifen. I appreciate your comments. Thanks.
  • AmyBH
    susie09 said:

Why do you take Femara after
    Why do you take Femara after tamox?

♠♣ Susie ♠♣

My understanding is that
    My understanding is that Femara may have benefits to continue to control the level of estrogen made. Since my cancer was estrogen receptive positive, it could have some benefit. On the other hand, I've done the 5 years on tamoxifen, so it appears to me the additional benefit of continuing on another drug are minimal in comparison to the side effects. As with all this, it's a "best guess" situation.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    AmyBH said:

My understanding is that
    My understanding is that Femara may have benefits to continue to control the level of estrogen made. Since my cancer was estrogen receptive positive, it could have some benefit. On the other hand, I've done the 5 years on tamoxifen, so it appears to me the additional benefit of continuing on another drug are minimal in comparison to the side effects. As with all this, it's a "best guess" situation.

I didn't know why some took
    I didn't know why some took Femara either. Thanks for explaining it. I was only asked to take tamoxifen.

Hugs, Diane ♥