Gemzar/Avastin

Options
jane65
jane65 Member Posts: 277
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Hi ladies,
It looks like Gemzar/Avastin will be my next chemo. I was hoping I could get some idea of how frequently the treatments will be? I think I read that it's 3 weeks of treatments, and then one week off.

I was also wondering how long each treatment is, and are the drugs both given on the same day?

Third, do the side affects start with the first treatment, or build up over time.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

I'm so glad we all have the Holidays to give us happy things to think about, we really need that!

Jane

Comments

• arbor3
    arbor3 Member Posts: 103
    Options
    GEMZAR
    Hi Lisa

I just started Gemzar on Nov 17, I do two weeks on and one week off. The first treatment went well no side effects. Second treatment I had one night feeling like I had the flu. Chills, headache ached all over. Next morning I felt good. I go next Tues Dec 8th for my next two weeks, hope it goes as good.

HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!Dinora
  • jane65
    jane65 Member Posts: 277
    Options
    arbor3 said:

GEMZAR
    Hi Lisa

I just started Gemzar on Nov 17, I do two weeks on and one week off. The first treatment went well no side effects. Second treatment I had one night feeling like I had the flu. Chills, headache ached all over. Next morning I felt good. I go next Tues Dec 8th for my next two weeks, hope it goes as good.

HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!Dinora

Dinora
    Thanks for your reply,I hope that your Gemzar treatments do their job and you can have a remission from this monster disease. I hear flu like symptoms are a side affect.

What are you staged at? I'm 4B and have been dealing with my OVCA for almost 3 years. This will be my 3rd chemo, carbo/taxol, relapsed in 3 months, then topotecan which worked for 10 months, now the cancer is growing again. CT scan on Tues. will give us some answers.

I wish you a happy Holidays and a Happy and Healthy New Year.
    Jane
  • arbor3
    arbor3 Member Posts: 103
    Options
    GEMZAR
    Hi Jane

I am stage 4, was dx in Aug 2006. I am on my fifth round of Chemo. I have been lucky that the chemo gives me a 3-6 mo reprive. Right now my ca125 count is at 41. I have two spots in my right lung and lobes on the bottom of my right lung, also two leasions on my liver. Other cancer spots throughout my stomach area. But the Chemo just shrinks them back down and I live happy for 3-6 mo. I feel I am so lucky. I will keep you posted on my Gemzar, and keep me posted also.

HUGS!!!!!!Dinora