I am new here.

Options
2»

Comments

• MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Pamela, you have gotten some
    Pamela, you have gotten some excellent advice from the other ladies. I just wanted to welcome you and let you know we're here for you. But, you already know that based on the replies. Take care and keep us updated.
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Where are you......
    Pam I am in NC......are you anywhere close by by chance? I wish I could help you....if you are close I would be glad to help you out.....
    Peace be with you
  • marywest
    marywest Member Posts: 132
    Options
    MAJW said:

Where are you......
    Pam I am in NC......are you anywhere close by by chance? I wish I could help you....if you are close I would be glad to help you out.....
    Peace be with you

found any help yet?
    I dont' want you to go it alone. Our hospital has a case worker who helps to provide all kinds of services. By any chance have you contacted one at your hospital? The one I talked to was able to give me a grant of $1000. to help with gas, medicine etc. The vfw also gave me a grant to help out with what ever, there are so many costs involved. Just an idea, the ladies also got involved with delivering dinners (vfw). Some of these clubs and churches are ready to serve and help others in need. Having someone check in on you, someone picking up meds, cleaning your house or whatever, there are people ready and willing to help. By any chance is there a cancer support group in your area? The nurse at the infusion center here had the names and phone numbers for the group. Its worth asking. In your situation most people would run to help you. I know if there is a will there is a way. Will be praying that all your answers get met and more so.
  • always
    always Member Posts: 256
    Options
    marywest said:

found any help yet?
    I dont' want you to go it alone. Our hospital has a case worker who helps to provide all kinds of services. By any chance have you contacted one at your hospital? The one I talked to was able to give me a grant of $1000. to help with gas, medicine etc. The vfw also gave me a grant to help out with what ever, there are so many costs involved. Just an idea, the ladies also got involved with delivering dinners (vfw). Some of these clubs and churches are ready to serve and help others in need. Having someone check in on you, someone picking up meds, cleaning your house or whatever, there are people ready and willing to help. By any chance is there a cancer support group in your area? The nurse at the infusion center here had the names and phone numbers for the group. Its worth asking. In your situation most people would run to help you. I know if there is a will there is a way. Will be praying that all your answers get met and more so.

welcome
    I know you don't want to be here and are getting excellant advise from the angels in pink, I just wanted to send my well wishes and say welcome.
    always, becky
  • cvolk821
    cvolk821 Member Posts: 36
    Options

Georgia
    Connie,
    Your suggestion was very sweet!!! I am still trying to see if I can recruit family/friends to come a few days at a time. I live in a small town in Georgia. I have family down in Atlanta, but they all have a lot going on right now (2 have just had babies). Somehow I just have to believe it will all work out. Thank you again though...so nice to know there are wonderful, caring people like you here.
    Take care,
    Pam

We have your back!
    Pam - Please check back and let us know you've made arrangements with your family. We've all experienced your stress level and fear. We do care about you, and are willing to step up and help. I'm in Lake Wylie SC, outside of Charlotte NC. Not exactly in the neighborhood, but driveable if you need me.

Connie
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options

Thank you
    Thank you all for your heart-felt support and suggestions. I am so glad I found this site...I don't feel as alone.

Take care, everyone!! Thanks again!!!!
    Pam

WoW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This is realy weird! My name is Pamela and my daughter's name is Kara!!!! I am afraid to ask if there are any other simularities such as Husband or Son's name? LOL
    In any case, welcome. Pammy
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    Options
    Unveiling
    My bandages were first removed while I was still in the hospital. I had mentally prepared for how it was going to look beforehand, so it wasn't that big of a deal to me. I even went so far as to wrap my breasts tight in an ace bandage about a week BEFORE I had my bilateral just so I could try to see what it was going to be like before I had my actual surgery.

If your family lives and hour away it would probably work if they could stay with you the first day or two and then drop by every couple of days to see how you're doing and help with whatever you need. There are a few things that you can do to prepare which will make it less of a struggle while you are on your own:

1. Get some comfortable button-up shirts and/or button-up pajamas to wear while you are recovering.

2. I got a new set of sheets and a few new pillows for our bed. (This one is optional but the new bedding made me feel better when I was home).

3. Clean your house and go through paperwork (pay bills, etc) as much as possible before your surgery and then don't worry about it if it doesn't get done for a while. Family members can help with laundry and dishes when they visit.

4. Rest as much as possible and take your medications.

5. Have a lot of meals set up ahead of time (maybe some you can freeze for later) and have family members bring meals when they visit. Going to the grocery store or standing over the stove is not something that was easy to do right after my surgery (but I had my kids and husband who made the food for me).

6. Read the posts on this site. There are a lot of wonderful tips from many people who have gone through what you will be going through.

Take care and good luck with your surgery!
  • Kim59
    Kim59 Member Posts: 43
    Options
    insicions
    Pamela,

Just wanted to comment about the mastectomy incisions. If at all possible have your surgeon do a skin-sparing mastectomy with expanders. My surgeon made a small 1" incision where my nipples are and they litterally scoop out the breast tissue. They call it mellon-balling. The plastic surgeon then inserted expanders and filled them with saline. I had a small bandaid over my nipple area. I have all of my breast skin. The only difference is I don't have nipples yet, that will come later, and the expanders make your breast a different shape. After chemo I will get my final implants.

I haven't read any posts where skin sparing mastectomy has been mentioned. If at all possible it's the way to go. It did wonders for me emotionally.

Kim
  • crselby
    crselby Member Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Kim59 said:

insicions
    Pamela,

Just wanted to comment about the mastectomy incisions. If at all possible have your surgeon do a skin-sparing mastectomy with expanders. My surgeon made a small 1" incision where my nipples are and they litterally scoop out the breast tissue. They call it mellon-balling. The plastic surgeon then inserted expanders and filled them with saline. I had a small bandaid over my nipple area. I have all of my breast skin. The only difference is I don't have nipples yet, that will come later, and the expanders make your breast a different shape. After chemo I will get my final implants.

I haven't read any posts where skin sparing mastectomy has been mentioned. If at all possible it's the way to go. It did wonders for me emotionally.

Kim

question
    Kim,
    So will your implants sit atop your chest muscle (and below the skin the surgeon spared? Most women talk about the expanders going below the chest muscle (ouch!) so I'm confused.
    Connie
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    crselby said:

question
    Kim,
    So will your implants sit atop your chest muscle (and below the skin the surgeon spared? Most women talk about the expanders going below the chest muscle (ouch!) so I'm confused.
    Connie

I want to welcome you Pamela
    I want to welcome you Pamela to the site. Looks like you have already gotten some really good advice! Good luck to you!

Hugs, Diane ♥
  • Kim59
    Kim59 Member Posts: 43
    Options
    crselby said:

question
    Kim,
    Connie

question
    Connie,

My implants are under the muscle. I have no idea how the plastic surgeon got those expanders in that small incision.

Kim
  • shortscake
    shortscake Member Posts: 228
    Options

Georgia
    Connie,
    Your suggestion was very sweet!!! I am still trying to see if I can recruit family/friends to come a few days at a time. I live in a small town in Georgia. I have family down in Atlanta, but they all have a lot going on right now (2 have just had babies). Somehow I just have to believe it will all work out. Thank you again though...so nice to know there are wonderful, caring people like you here.
    Take care,
    Pam

grorgia
    I am in georgia not far from atlanta if you need some help(in newnan ga)