Hot Flashes

pitt
pitt Member Posts: 387
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Just curious, how long will these hot flashes continue? I'm in chemo now and will start Tamoxifen in a few weeks. Will they continue throughout the 5 year Tamoxifen usage or will they diminish in time? Thanks, Pitt

Comments

• tigger99
    tigger99 Member Posts: 44
    Of course everyone is
    Of course everyone is different, but my oncologist said the hot flashes would last approximately 6 months and then subside a bit or even disappear.
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Pitt,
    yes everyone is different. I have been on Tamox for almost a year and truthfully-I don't even really notice the hot flashes anymore.
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Hot flashes during chemo?
    Pitt, you're having hot flashes during chemo? Well that's JUST what you need, isn't it? >:-(

I didn't have any during chemo, so I'm not sure what's up with that. After I started the Tamoxifen, I started having them at night, but my doctor switched me to taking the pill in the morning instead of before bed, and I don't think I've had a single hot flash since then. Playing with when and how you take it often helps with the side effects, so there are things you can do.

How much longer for chemo for you? Have you had your last round yet?

Take good care,

Traci
  • pitt
    pitt Member Posts: 387
    TraciInLA said:

Hot flashes during chemo?
    Pitt, you're having hot flashes during chemo? Well that's JUST what you need, isn't it? >:-(

I didn't have any during chemo, so I'm not sure what's up with that. After I started the Tamoxifen, I started having them at night, but my doctor switched me to taking the pill in the morning instead of before bed, and I don't think I've had a single hot flash since then. Playing with when and how you take it often helps with the side effects, so there are things you can do.

How much longer for chemo for you? Have you had your last round yet?

Take good care,

Traci

Thanks for the replies...
    Well leave it to me to be the oddball. It does seem that I am having every possible side effect there is...and never the same one twice. Yes, Traci, I am gearing up for my final chemo installment this Thursday. I'm so excited to be facing graduation day. I'm ready to reclaim my body and my hair!!!!!!!!!

I love your baby picture. As soon as I can unearth my scanner, I'll get a baby picture on here too. I'm all about assimilation. Of course, you will all have moved on to a new theme by then and I'll have to find the box with my other photos. Always a day late and dollar short as they say.

Take care, Pitt
  • tjhay
    tjhay Member Posts: 655
    pitt said:

Thanks for the replies...
    Well leave it to me to be the oddball. It does seem that I am having every possible side effect there is...and never the same one twice. Yes, Traci, I am gearing up for my final chemo installment this Thursday. I'm so excited to be facing graduation day. I'm ready to reclaim my body and my hair!!!!!!!!!

I love your baby picture. As soon as I can unearth my scanner, I'll get a baby picture on here too. I'm all about assimilation. Of course, you will all have moved on to a new theme by then and I'll have to find the box with my other photos. Always a day late and dollar short as they say.

Take care, Pitt

Hot Flashes
    I started having hot flashes during chemo, through rads, and they continue on even now. So I guess you and I are in the same boat as far as the side effects are concerned.
    tj
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Pitt you lucky gal despite
    Pitt you lucky gal despite all the after effects, you are almost finished with chemo. I'm so happy to see you posting. I've had problems with nausea, gets better the week before my next chemo which is next Tuesday 12/8. That will be 4 down and 4 more to go for me. Please keep us updated on your progress.