Pregnancy after breast cancer

miracle14
miracle14 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Don't everyone yell at me all at once but I am seriously considering trying to conceive. I am now 5 years post chemo. Periods came back irregularly about a year after my last treatment. They're still sporadic but my ovaries are still functioning. My daughter is 8 and was 3 when I was diagnosed. We were blessed to have her as I had 13 first trimester miscarriages before carrying her to term. No cause ever found. Anyway, I'm 44 and feel it's now or never. Has anyone out there gone through this? Well not the miscarriages but debating pregnancy or having a baby after chemo???

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    I seriously considered it
    I seriously considered it the first time (not now) I was 34 and had two children. I got second opinions etc... ultimately I decided against it as i felt that i got diagnosed a round pregnancies and did not want to chance it although Ihad an estrogen neg cancer. My friend got married after her dx and had two boys and she is well. She is a very practical person but stressed quite a bit but she now has her beautiful teenage boys. I think it depends on your docs, you particular cancer and what you are willing to deal with . It would be helpful for you to talk to other women in the same situation.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    carkris said:

I seriously considered it
    I seriously considered it the first time (not now) I was 34 and had two children. I got second opinions etc... ultimately I decided against it as i felt that i got diagnosed a round pregnancies and did not want to chance it although Ihad an estrogen neg cancer. My friend got married after her dx and had two boys and she is well. She is a very practical person but stressed quite a bit but she now has her beautiful teenage boys. I think it depends on your docs, you particular cancer and what you are willing to deal with . It would be helpful for you to talk to other women in the same situation.

Your oncologist would be
    Your oncologist would be able to answer if this would be safe for you. I would think it would depend on if your cancer is estrogen positive or not. If it is, I would think getting pregnant would run a huge risk. Let us know.

Hugs, Diane ♥
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    DianeBC said:

Your oncologist would be
    Your oncologist would be able to answer if this would be safe for you. I would think it would depend on if your cancer is estrogen positive or not. If it is, I would think getting pregnant would run a huge risk. Let us know.

Hugs, Diane ♥

My onc did not want me to, I
    My onc did not want me to, I got a second opinion and he said there were no studies that said pregnancy caused BC or made it return. I figured since I got diagnosed around a pregnancy that maybe in my case studies were just studies. I also had to examine my loyalties to my existing children. I have to say it was a grieving period for me, I was sad when other people had their 3rd child, but then I decided to be grateful for what I had not for what I didnt. I am sure there are newer studies, and newer information, now but research it carefully. not just your doc but second opinions and experts. number one to be informed, and number two to have peace with your decision.