Ports

Options
MelanieT
MelanieT Member Posts: 186
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
How can you tell if your port is going bad? I no some people have to have a few and thats normal. My husbands looks really sore and he says it hurts just to touch it. He also has a low grade fever...

Mel

Comments

• Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    Fever calls for Dr visit...
    Im sure his onc told him and you about fevers and where to go when you have them, as far as port if it was just placed in then it will probably be a week before the pain goes away, although he may hve an infection if it looks bad..Either way I would think its time for a ER visit. Better safe than sorry........Buzzard
  • MelanieT
    Options
    Buzzard said:

Fever calls for Dr visit...
    Im sure his onc told him and you about fevers and where to go when you have them, as far as port if it was just placed in then it will probably be a week before the pain goes away, although he may hve an infection if it looks bad..Either way I would think its time for a ER visit. Better safe than sorry........Buzzard

he has had the port since
    he has had the port since the middle of sept.. i just was not sure if they can go bad that fast.. I told him the same thing, that we should go to the ER but he insists he can wait it out.. STUBBORN!!
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Go to the ER
    There could be an infecton, crack, leak or blood clot around that area. He's had it in for over 2 months so there is no way it should LOOK sore!

I suggest you take him to the ER or at least call the surgeon's answering service.

Diane
  • MelanieT
    Options

Go to the ER
    There could be an infecton, crack, leak or blood clot around that area. He's had it in for over 2 months so there is no way it should LOOK sore!

I suggest you take him to the ER or at least call the surgeon's answering service.

Diane

thats what i thought.. It
    thats what i thought.. It went from looking normal skin color to a dark gray..
    Thanks im calling right now:)

mel
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    MelanieT said:

he has had the port since
    he has had the port since the middle of sept.. i just was not sure if they can go bad that fast.. I told him the same thing, that we should go to the ER but he insists he can wait it out.. STUBBORN!!

OK ,heres the deal........
    Tell hubby that we don't mess around with stubborn people. His port has been in since Sept and its sore then he does have an infection and he does have a fever indicative of that infection and if he doesn't get down to the ER and get it taken care of then it simply gets worse from there. They will get his antibiotics going to start getting rid of infection and also something for the pain most likely. Let him know that his port is a direct path (and a short path) directly to the heart. He doesn't need to fart around with that. and yeah, I just heard him whisper something about me being a smart***....Tell him Im psycho or is that pyshic !!!...LOL anyway, tell him we're here to keep people healthy, and tell him that will be $39.95 for the Dr visit........Good Luck.......Dr Buzzard
  • MelanieT
    Options
    Buzzard said:

OK ,heres the deal........
    Tell hubby that we don't mess around with stubborn people. His port has been in since Sept and its sore then he does have an infection and he does have a fever indicative of that infection and if he doesn't get down to the ER and get it taken care of then it simply gets worse from there. They will get his antibiotics going to start getting rid of infection and also something for the pain most likely. Let him know that his port is a direct path (and a short path) directly to the heart. He doesn't need to fart around with that. and yeah, I just heard him whisper something about me being a smart***....Tell him Im psycho or is that pyshic !!!...LOL anyway, tell him we're here to keep people healthy, and tell him that will be $39.95 for the Dr visit........Good Luck.......Dr Buzzard

LOL i will absolutly tell
    LOL i will absolutly tell him!!! Thanks so much for all your help.. and the check is in the mail:) mel
  • mcsauder
    mcsauder Member Posts: 68
    Options
    MelanieT said:

thats what i thought.. It
    thats what i thought.. It went from looking normal skin color to a dark gray..
    Thanks im calling right now:)

mel

port
    Show him that you love him and make him go to the ER LOL
    We know that you love him but I'm with Buzz he needs to and get it looked at better safe then sorry
    Tell him that his CSN Family would like for him to go what would it hart but taking up some time

Mike
  • tom88
    tom88 Member Posts: 17
    Options
    mcsauder said:

port
    Show him that you love him and make him go to the ER LOL
    We know that you love him but I'm with Buzz he needs to and get it looked at better safe then sorry
    Tell him that his CSN Family would like for him to go what would it hart but taking up some time

Mike

Sounds like an infection,
    Sounds like an infection, bacterial most likely. Get it treated without delay!
  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    Options
    Infected port
    Sounds like port hasn;t been used yet and/ or doctor;s unaware of problem. Mine only bothered me for a week or so after implanted in chest but it worked on;y 60% of time when needed and then stopped totaaly. Only way to tell if it works is when nurse tries o pull blood aND FLUSH PRIOR TO INFUSION or as a test to see if it works.Being that its a foreign object placed inside your body, your husband may have caught infection or body is rreacting badly to intrusion. Suggest seeing doctor who put it in him.....PS: I now use a PICC for chemo infusions/pump......Steve