Hatshepsut?

Options
TLG320
TLG320 Member Posts: 167
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
How did your husband's surgery go? It was scheduled for early this week, I think. Please check in when you can and let us know how he's doing...
Tashina

Comments

• grammadebbie
    grammadebbie Member Posts: 464
    Options
    Miss you
    Yes, please check in....you are missed.

Debbie -gramma
  • Hatshepsut
    Hatshepsut Member Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Thank you.

Hello.

Tashina and Debbie, I appreciate your concern for my husband and for me. Thanks to those who sent me comforting PMs, too. Like Blanche Dubois' poignant line, I am grateful, indeed, for the kindness of strangers. It has been a tough month.

My husband had surgery on November 23. The projected three-hour surgery became five hours and the tumor was larger and more difficult to remove than expected. In the end, the surgeon was able to remove the tumor in the abdominal wall but also had to remove some tumor wrapped around my husband's intestines--necessitating a resection and the prospect of some post-surgical chemotherapy and radiation.

My husband spent eight nights in the hospital with considerable post-surgical delirium. Then, he was released from the hospital only to be readmitted a day and a half later when it became apparent that he had developed a serious post-surgical complication, a fistula. My husband, Dixon, spent the next ten nights in the hospital with a wound vac, no food or water to rest his bowel and let it heal, and serious antibiotic therapy.

I'm happy to report that he was discharged from the hospital on Friday afternoon to recuperate at home with TPN (liquid nutrition) and a wound vac. The goal is for my husband's fistula to heal and close spontaneously, sparing him the ordeal of an additional surgery. The expectation is that it will take weeks (without food or water) to allow his bowel to heal---a tough prospect for a family of foodies (albeit vegan ones).

Hatshepsut
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    Options

Thank you.

Hello.

Tashina and Debbie, I appreciate your concern for my husband and for me. Thanks to those who sent me comforting PMs, too. Like Blanche Dubois' poignant line, I am grateful, indeed, for the kindness of strangers. It has been a tough month.

My husband had surgery on November 23. The projected three-hour surgery became five hours and the tumor was larger and more difficult to remove than expected. In the end, the surgeon was able to remove the tumor in the abdominal wall but also had to remove some tumor wrapped around my husband's intestines--necessitating a resection and the prospect of some post-surgical chemotherapy and radiation.

My husband spent eight nights in the hospital with considerable post-surgical delirium. Then, he was released from the hospital only to be readmitted a day and a half later when it became apparent that he had developed a serious post-surgical complication, a fistula. My husband, Dixon, spent the next ten nights in the hospital with a wound vac, no food or water to rest his bowel and let it heal, and serious antibiotic therapy.

I'm happy to report that he was discharged from the hospital on Friday afternoon to recuperate at home with TPN (liquid nutrition) and a wound vac. The goal is for my husband's fistula to heal and close spontaneously, sparing him the ordeal of an additional surgery. The expectation is that it will take weeks (without food or water) to allow his bowel to heal---a tough prospect for a family of foodies (albeit vegan ones).

Hatshepsut

I
    Was sent home and connected to a wound vac after my colostomy, not fun to have when changing the sponges, but it does get better, less risk of infection then the wet/dry packs... I was able to eat though, I can't imagine not eating for weeks, that's going to be very tough, I hope he has a speedy recovery, I'm sorry to hear that he even has the fistula, that is scary, and I wish you and your family alot of hope and prayers that he will be well soon enough.

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options

Thank you.

Hello.

Hatshepsut

Hatshepsut
    That's good news that your husband finally got to go home but I'm sorry that he's still having to deal with the fistual.
    Hang in there, thanks for the update.
    -phil
    I miss your posts, they are always very interesting.
  • dmdwins
    dmdwins Member Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    PhillieG said:

Hatshepsut
    That's good news that your husband finally got to go home but I'm sorry that he's still having to deal with the fistual.
    Hang in there, thanks for the update.
    -phil
    I miss your posts, they are always very interesting.

Post -surgical delirium
    My mother-in law recently had pancreatic surgery and also experienced post-surgical delirium. Luckily(or not)about a 3 years ago my dad had ICU psycosis and recovered fully.
    I was able to help reassure my father and brother-in-laws that she would recover. It can be a scary thing to see.

I am glad your husband is home and wish him a recovery without any more complications.

Smiles,
    Dawn
  • usakat
    usakat Member Posts: 610 Member
    Options

Thank you.

Hello.

Hatshepsut

Hello Hatshepsut!
    Thanks for checking in. So sorry to hear of Dixon's complications, but it sounds like he is on the road to recovery. I'm also sorry to hear that he will have to have chemo/rad again. Ugh, cancer can be so relentless.

Will be sending you and Dixon many blessings for comfort and healing during this holiday season, and may the new year bring restored health to your husband. Keep us posted as we keep you in our good thoughts.
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Options
    Great to Hear From You!
    Hi Hatshepsut!

Everyone was worried we had not heard from you in awhile - in reading your post, it is easy
    to see that yours and your husband's hands were full with all you had going.

That's certainly a difficult regimen that he has to follow - with no water or solids for awhile...it would be nice if he could have some "ice chips."

The surgery sounded very hard for anyone to have to endure, at any age...but I'm glad that
    he made it through it and is on his way to a recovery - I hope no additional surgeries for any corrections have to be done for both of your sakes.

Thank you so much for your update - it was so nice to hear from you after all this time.

-Craig
  • Fight for my love
    Fight for my love Member Posts: 1,522 Member
    Options

Thank you.

Hello.

Hatshepsut

I understand it was really
    I understand it was really really tough for both of you,but I am happy that your husband is getting through this and healing.Best luck and best wishes to both of you and I hope your husband is having a speedy recovery.