Caregiving your domestic partner

Options
lisaonthenet
lisaonthenet Member Posts: 69
edited March 2014 in Caregivers #1
Just wondering if anyone else here is caregiving their domestic partner?

Lisa

Comments

• joypax
    joypax Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Domestic partner
    I am also careing for my domestic partner
  • lisaonthenet
    lisaonthenet Member Posts: 69
    Options
    joypax said:

Domestic partner
    I am also careing for my domestic partner

joypax
    Hi joypax,

May I ask what kind of cancer? Kelly has metastatic thyroid cancer. How long have you been caregiving and how are you holding up?

Lisa
  • joypax
    Options
    Hi lisa
    He has squamous cell carcinoma . The tumor was on the right side of his tongue. They did a pet scan in april 09. and there was also a tumor on right side in neck also lymph nodes where involed cant remember how many. plus his jugular vein was involed. He had surgery may 01 09 . Went thru 39 chemo treatments and 28 radiation treatments.He did pretty good tired a lot he had a peg tub and did ok with that but he still lost a lot of weight.He was 280 at the beginning and got down to 220 but not to bad. He had a new pet scan on nov 12 and they found a hot spot so he had a needle biopsy on nov 23 . We just went to the doctors today and he has 3 new tumors in his neck. There not new but they just could not see them before i guess. The doctor told us today that the was nothing more he could do but refer us to another doctor .We see him on nov 22. he is now down to 191 and im not sure why cause he is taking plenty through his peg tub . I hope all is going ok with you. Joyce
  • CherylMike
    CherylMike Member Posts: 118
    Options
    joypax said:

Hi lisa
    He has squamous cell carcinoma . The tumor was on the right side of his tongue. They did a pet scan in april 09. and there was also a tumor on right side in neck also lymph nodes where involed cant remember how many. plus his jugular vein was involed. He had surgery may 01 09 . Went thru 39 chemo treatments and 28 radiation treatments.He did pretty good tired a lot he had a peg tub and did ok with that but he still lost a lot of weight.He was 280 at the beginning and got down to 220 but not to bad. He had a new pet scan on nov 12 and they found a hot spot so he had a needle biopsy on nov 23 . We just went to the doctors today and he has 3 new tumors in his neck. There not new but they just could not see them before i guess. The doctor told us today that the was nothing more he could do but refer us to another doctor .We see him on nov 22. he is now down to 191 and im not sure why cause he is taking plenty through his peg tub . I hope all is going ok with you. Joyce

My husband also had squamous cell carcinoma
    Joyce~ My husband was diagnosed in Sept. of 2007 with head and neck cancer, mets to his lymph nodes under his arm. The tumor on his neck was 7 X 4.5 and was wrapped around his cartoid artery. The radiation and chemo eradicted the cancer above his collar bone, but not under his arm. Mike also had a peg tube. He lost alot of weight but had vomited profusely. One thing that put weight on him was "X-Rated" rapid weight gain powder. They carry this at health food stores. (Mike took this by mouth after he had his peg removed-you may be able to mix it at a consistancy that would allow it to go in the peg tube). Please know that there are many kinds of treatments available to fight squamous cell carcinoma. Keep strong, I will be praying for you~Cheryl
  • joypax
    Options
    hello cheryl
    HI I hope this finds you and mike doing ok. Thank you for the weight gain advice could you tell me where you buy the weight gain powder. My husband is going to see a new doctor again on tuesday and we will find out if they can do anything eles. He was very depressed when we left the doctors today and started talking about giving all his things away.I told him that would be giving up. I think he thought that after he went through everything the first time it would all be done and over.And we where both kind of hopeing for that but sometimes you have to fight a little longer and a littler harder.He calmed down and is doing better.Ready to do what ever it takes. I hope mike is doing well and tell him never to give up. Joyce