Two interesting over the counter drugs

Options
steven12
steven12 Member Posts: 51
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Look into these links. You may find these information very interesting and can find many other, regarding these two drugs. I am specially interested in Cimetidine because I have elevated stomach acid myself. Why not to try? Here are the links:

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2002/jul2002_cover_cimetidine_01.html
http://www.cancer.gov/Templates/drugdictionary.aspx?CdrID=39185
http://www.energygrid.com/health/phenergan-cancer/
http://www.health-science-spirit.com/phenergan.html

Happy Thanksgiving and best wishes to everybody
Steven

Comments

• ADKer
    ADKer Member Posts: 147
    Options
    cimetidine
    Hi Steven -

I believe that it is fairly well established that a drug like cimetidine (Tagamet) is helpful. Since diagnosis, my oncologist at Sloan Kettering has had me take ranitidine (Zantac) 2 times per day. Zantac is similar to Tagamet. Check with your oncologist but I believe that one of these meds is a good idea so long as it does not cause problems with any other treatment that you are receiving.
  • steven12
    steven12 Member Posts: 51
    Options
    ADKer said:

cimetidine
    Hi Steven -

I believe that it is fairly well established that a drug like cimetidine (Tagamet) is helpful. Since diagnosis, my oncologist at Sloan Kettering has had me take ranitidine (Zantac) 2 times per day. Zantac is similar to Tagamet. Check with your oncologist but I believe that one of these meds is a good idea so long as it does not cause problems with any other treatment that you are receiving.

How long have ...
    You been taken this drug and what dosage? Was that together with your Chemotherapy? My onc would only know about the approved Chemo drugs only but I will certainly ask him. He told me once that for CC there is no proven good Immunotherapy. Has anybody else known about this drugs and eventually using them?
    Best wishes
    Steven
  • ADKer
    ADKer Member Posts: 147
    Options
    steven12 said:

How long have ...
    You been taken this drug and what dosage? Was that together with your Chemotherapy? My onc would only know about the approved Chemo drugs only but I will certainly ask him. He told me once that for CC there is no proven good Immunotherapy. Has anybody else known about this drugs and eventually using them?
    Best wishes
    Steven

Zantac
    Sorry for not responding sooner - I am having virus issues with my computer. I have been on 150 mg of Zantac 2 times per day since April 3, 2008. It is available over the counter but my oncologist gives me a prescription. the co-pay onthe prescription is much less than the cost over the counter. I have been on oxaliplatin, irinotecan and Xeloda while taking the Zantac. The information about the usefulness of these antacids in fighting colon cancer is not that new.
  • PRN
    PRN Member Posts: 5
    Options
    steven12 said:

How long have ...
    Best wishes
    Steven

cimetidine
    We used 1600 mg cimetidine 4 weeks pre-op, and 5 weeks post op with even stronger doses of many of the LEF recommended nutrients. Get this, all the invasive mesenteric carcinoma cells necrosed. Finito, liquified the mesenteric cancer cell centers, but not the primary tumor - probably shrunk - less obstruction at surgery than CT. Stage IIIC or higher.

Then reduced cimetidine to 800 mg after starting oral chemo (continuous UFT/tegafur a la Japanese medical science). These other posters apparently haven't read the international papers, especially from Japan, Australia and Asia, histamine inhibitor cimetidine is not the same as more "modern" proton pump acid inhibitors.

Matsumoto, et al (2002) shows 90-95% survival at ten years(!!!!) in biomarked Stage III colorectal patients who got continuous, low dose 5FU and cimetidine. Based on an extensive literature review, the anti-VEGF agent, cimetidine, looks better to us than oxaliplatin, erbitux/cetuximab and Avastin/Bevacizumab combined.
  • PRN
    PRN Member Posts: 5
    Options
    steven12 said:

How long have ...
    Best wishes
    Steven

cimetidine
    [deleted duplicate, below]