Should Women Start Mammograms at 40--US Preventive Services Task Force

svaughn
svaughn Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just received an email from RealAge that outlined the US Preventive Services Task Force recommendations. I sent them a reply. It is as follows:
I am a ten year survivor of breast cancer. It was discovered when I had a mammogram at age 46. It was already 2 cm in size. I had just been to the Dr. for an annual exam and she had not found it, so it was a surprise to us all. I had a lumpectomy, radiation, and chemo. I am still alive today. You will not be able to present enough statistics to impress my husband, daughter (who was nine at the time) or son ( who was three years old). Since I was diagnosed, I have personally known one to two people every year who are diagnosed with breast cancer. None of them, like me, had any of the risk factors, yet there it was. I am so thankful to the American Cancer Society for all the education and enlightenment they have given to the general public over the past ten years. We were on a roll to reducing death from breast cancer. Early diagnosis is the key.

Comments

• susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    ( applauding you )
    This is a great letter svaughn. I think all of us agree that the task force are nuts and won't follow their recommendation. Even the President is distancing himself from them. Thanks for your letter!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    susie09 said:

( applauding you )
    This is a great letter svaughn. I think all of us agree that the task force are nuts and won't follow their recommendation. Even the President is distancing himself from them. Thanks for your letter!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣

I agree. You sent a
    I agree. You sent a wonderful letter! We all should write and try to do something to keep the guidelines that the ACS still have.

Leeza
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    jnl said:

I agree. You sent a
    I agree. You sent a wonderful letter! We all should write and try to do something to keep the guidelines that the ACS still have.

Leeza

I need to do something
    Very good letter! I need to write my congressman or someone about this and not just sit silent.

Sue :)