Reply from Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)

sweetvickid
sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Sent them an email and here is their response.

Response (Kathryn Ramage) - 11/21/2009 09:16 AMThank you for your feedback on the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (Task Force) recommendation on screening for breast cancer for women not at increased risk of the disease. We appreciate the time and effort you have invested in contacting us, as well as the importance of this issue to you. The Task Force is a voluntary, independent panel of experts in prevention and primary care. The Task Force has been in existence since 1984; they have made hundreds of recommendations over the past 25 years. When the Task Force makes a recommendation, it considers all the scientific evidence on how well a clinical preventive service like breast cancer screening works. The Task Force does not consider cost in making its recommendations. The Task Force does not set government health care policy. It is not a Federal Government body. Congress mandates that the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) provide support to the Task Force. We do not take lightly the individual pain and suffering that breast cancer causes women and their families. If you have specific concerns about this disease, we encourage you to speak with your doctor. In addition, you may find the following Web site helpful in answering your questions about breast cancer screeninghttp://www.healthfinder.gov/prevention/ViewTopic.aspx?topicID=9&areaID. Again, thank you for contacting us with your concerns. We hope that future research will lead to better screening tests and treatment so that we can safely and effectively protect all women from this disease. Response (Kathryn Ramage) - 11/18/2009 01:51 PMThank you for your feedback to AHRQ. Your message has been forwarded to the Executive Secretary's office.

Comments

• Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    I also heard back for the
    I also heard back for the ACS reassuring that they are committed to the guidelines already in place. See my post "Heard back from ACS". We just have to be aware of whats going on all the time and take action when we see anything that affects us. Its our lives!
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Sunrae said:

I also heard back for the ACS reassuring that they are committed to the guidelines already in place. See my post "Heard back from ACS". We just have to be aware of whats going on all the time and take action when we see anything that affects us. Its our lives!

Typical bureaucrats
    This Task Force are typical bureaucrats. It seems like that they never saved a life, have never had young breast care patients (under 50).
    At least ACS stands by guidelines in place.
    I still believe one life is worth 100 false positive results.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Sunrae said:

I am so glad that the ACS
    I am so glad that the ACS are standing firm on their guidelines. It will save lives and has!
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member

Typical bureaucrats
    This Task Force are typical bureaucrats. It seems like that they never saved a life, have never had young breast care patients (under 50).
    At least ACS stands by guidelines in place.
    I still believe one life is worth 100 false positive results.

I still find it hard to
    I still find it hard to believe that the Task Force even said that. It is totally insane and we would lose a lot of lives if it was followed. Happy to see the ACS are sticking to their guns!