first chemo

shortscake
shortscake Member Posts: 228
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello and how is everyone? I had my first chemo to day and it was nice..lol..to be chemo that is they used my port for the first time and i didnt feel a thing.the ladys at the office were so nice.it was a full 3hours looked at a little tv,did a little reading and yes went to sleep.the doctor told me that i am her+ not sure what that ment.he told me i must say i had so much on my mind with this being my first chemo.Just happy that i made it though and didnt cry..lol..hope everyone had a good day.

Comments

• taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Glad to hear everything went
    Glad to hear everything went well with your first round of chemo. Try to keep your spirits up... hang in there, I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Hugs,

~T
  • mizcaldwell
    mizcaldwell Member Posts: 143
    Her2
    Glad things went well for you! HERS2 is a test that is run to see if your tumor expressed a particular protein (HERS2). The more of the HERS2 protein that is expressed, the faster growing the cancer is. There is a targeted therapy that is also an infusion therapy called Herceptin that is given if a cancer is HER2+. It is a year-long course of treatment and is often given at the same time as chemo. The Herceptin fills in the receptor sites for the HERS2 protein on any cancer that may be remaining - so it stops its growth. Don't worry about asking the doctor to explain it again to you. There are degrees of HER2 positive - and I'm not sure at what point they recommend the Herceptin.

My advice on the first chemo part - be sure you drink lots of fluids - broth, water, herbal tea. Beware of constipation - I know its not a great topic to talk about - but be proactive in eating prunes, etc., if you are not moving regularly. Don't let things back up! It makes things horrible! Some people have the other problem - but constipation can be a problem you don't want to have! :)

You may have already read or been told, often the third day is a hard day. I guess it takes a bit of time for the drugs to get through your system and cause aches and pains, etc.

Take care and be well!

Lori
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Glad to hear
    that it went well for you. Just remember to rest up and take good care of yourself for the next week as the "cleaning solution" works its way through you.

Cindy
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Glad to hear
    that it went well for you. Just remember to rest up and take good care of yourself for the next week as the "cleaning solution" works its way through you.

Cindy

One in the books glad it
    One in the books glad it went smoothly and now you know what to wxpect at the chemo infusion end of it. Now be sure to write down any concerns you have or symptoms so you can tailor it to how it affects you.As said lots of fluids(not my best point). keep us posted. hope it is smooth.
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    shortscake
    So glad to hear you made it through the first one ok. The nurses really do make the process so much easier to handle. There are several of us here that are Her2+ and yes you should be receiving Herceptin. You can go to Herceptin.com for more info on the subject. As someone suggested already, keep track of your side effects so you can let your Oncologist know at each treatment and if anything concerns you at all, DON'T hesitate to call them! Keep us posted on how you're doing.
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi shortscake
    One chemo treatment down and you made it thru...the infusions really arent terrible are they? And for me, it actually gives me time to put my feet up and read a magazine which is nice.

Now, push lots of liquids, eat small and often. If you are getting adriamycin/cytoxan, be sure to rinse your mouth out with 8oz of warm water with 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp baking soda. It will help prevent mouth sores. And remember, exercise if you can and rest when you can. You will have a new normal for a while, but you will get thru this.

Hugs
    Linda T
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    mlmjt1 said:

Hi shortscake
    One chemo treatment down and you made it thru...the infusions really arent terrible are they? And for me, it actually gives me time to put my feet up and read a magazine which is nice.

Now, push lots of liquids, eat small and often. If you are getting adriamycin/cytoxan, be sure to rinse your mouth out with 8oz of warm water with 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp baking soda. It will help prevent mouth sores. And remember, exercise if you can and rest when you can. You will have a new normal for a while, but you will get thru this.

Hugs
    Linda T

Glad your first one went so
    Glad your first one went so well shortscake! I hope they only get better for you from now on! Drink lots of water!!!!