Buzzed My Hair Today

BlownAway60
BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Friday, my 17th day after first Chemo I noticed my hair starting to come out by the handfulls. This morning I noticed it was on my piilow. So I went in the bathroom and pulled it all out until no more would come out (wasn't much left) and then I buzzed it. What is left is about 1/8 of an inch long. I have my wig and scarfs and I am ready.

Chemo 2 is this coming Wed. Hoping the side effects are less this time. I see the onc on Tuesday. The Chemo nurse says he may reduce my chemo levels because I had such a rough time with the first Chemo. Would be nice but I am prepared either way.

Donna

Comments

• ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    Good for you Donna
    I just went through the hair thing about 7wks. ago.It feels so impowering to shave it.Its worse watching it fall out.And it comes back after Chemo.Mine is starting two.And like you the wigs and scarfs workes.Good luck.Keep us posted.Love and prayers.(Pat).
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    ppurdin said:

Good for you Donna
    I just went through the hair thing about 7wks. ago.It feels so impowering to shave it.Its worse watching it fall out.And it comes back after Chemo.Mine is starting two.And like you the wigs and scarfs workes.Good luck.Keep us posted.Love and prayers.(Pat).

that is impressive to do it
    that is impressive to do it yourself. i had someone do it for me. I havent feeling too well so the focus hasnt been on my hair, i wonder if that is good or bad. bit good for you for taking control. I think the next one will go better as you know what to expect. I had chemo decreased by last AC as iwas just too sick. it was better
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Hairless in NM
    I kind of have a sick sense of humor, ok, I do have a sick sense of humor. After the second dose of AC/Cytoxen, my hair started to come out. Secretly I was horrified, but to keep my husband from worring so much about me, I told him he was driving me crazy and I pulled out two huge handfuls of hair. I'm sorry to all those " sane" people out there. It actually kind of helped me too. We then proceeded to do the buzz cut. It will come back. Mine is and I think I'm going to be a burnette. Was blond all my life. Would have enjoyed being a red head. Oh well! Take care and good health to you.
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    Katz77 said:

Hairless in NM
    I kind of have a sick sense of humor, ok, I do have a sick sense of humor. After the second dose of AC/Cytoxen, my hair started to come out. Secretly I was horrified, but to keep my husband from worring so much about me, I told him he was driving me crazy and I pulled out two huge handfuls of hair. I'm sorry to all those " sane" people out there. It actually kind of helped me too. We then proceeded to do the buzz cut. It will come back. Mine is and I think I'm going to be a burnette. Was blond all my life. Would have enjoyed being a red head. Oh well! Take care and good health to you.

I opted to keep the fighters....
    Yeah, I tell people I have exactly 137 hairs left on my head and they fought to stay, so I refuse to shave them!!! I'll cut them when the new ones start coming in. I have a couple wigs, but really enjoy wearing hats/caps. Don't really look good in scarves. The funny thing is that you find out this stuff about yourself as you go through it.
    I hear that it starts growing back during Taxol (if you're on the low dose weekly treatments) around the 9th week, so that means I only have 7 more weeks til peach fuzz!
    Can't wait!

Also wanted to share something I discovered WAY too late in my a/c treatments. I had a friend who is trained in electronic acupuncture treat me each night of my last treatment and it was SOOOO much help! I could eat, had NO nausea, and slept had minor discomforts and minor "messed up head" effect. ( I don't know what else to call it...) TRY acupuncture if you can! I was not a believer, but my friend insisted. I'm so glad she did.
  • mizcaldwell
    mizcaldwell Member Posts: 143
    Donna -
    We're on the same

Donna -

We're on the same track - my hair started coming out today - 16 days after chemo. When I washed it this morning, my whole scalp hurt. And when I dried it with the towel, I had a towel full of hair! I have lots of hair - so it doesn't look thin yet - and no clumps have come out - so I'm waiting for a bit more to go before I do the buzz. I've ordered a wig and have some scarves coming - I hope they get here before the full-blown fall out occurs!

I have my port surgery tomorrow - have to be there at 6:00 a.m. My next chemo is Friday - 7:00 a.m. Others will be shopping at that time - I'll be infusing! I think they are trying to make a morning person out of me!

My thoughts and prayers are with you on Wednesday. I hope it goes better this time!

Lori
  • Goldenguru
    Goldenguru Member Posts: 23

Donna -
    We're on the same

Donna -

We're on the same track - my hair started coming out today - 16 days after chemo. When I washed it this morning, my whole scalp hurt. And when I dried it with the towel, I had a towel full of hair! I have lots of hair - so it doesn't look thin yet - and no clumps have come out - so I'm waiting for a bit more to go before I do the buzz. I've ordered a wig and have some scarves coming - I hope they get here before the full-blown fall out occurs!

I have my port surgery tomorrow - have to be there at 6:00 a.m. My next chemo is Friday - 7:00 a.m. Others will be shopping at that time - I'll be infusing! I think they are trying to make a morning person out of me!

My thoughts and prayers are with you on Wednesday. I hope it goes better this time!

Lori

The only time I really
    The only time I really 'miss' my hair is when I have to go out in public. Other than that - I'm trying to enjoy the low maintenance. ;) Shower and go!! I have heard that a silk pillowcase is really nice to sleep on when your scalp hurts. Maybe you could try that. Good luck -
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member

The only time I really
    The only time I really 'miss' my hair is when I have to go out in public. Other than that - I'm trying to enjoy the low maintenance. ;) Shower and go!! I have heard that a silk pillowcase is really nice to sleep on when your scalp hurts. Maybe you could try that. Good luck -

Hair
    Mine started coming out on day 15 of chemo and I had a friend shave it all off that same day. I finished chemo (except for herceptin) the end of May and my hair was pretty slow to start coming back in ... but I was finally "brave" enough the first of October to go totally hatless at work and out in public. It was a great feeling. Over these past few weeks of having my VERY low-maintenance hair do I've realized that I LOVE my VERY short hair and am going to keep it VERY short. It is such pleasure to get out of the shower ... run a towel over my head ... run my fingers through the hair to get it "aimed" in the right direction ... and that's it. The end. No hair dryer, hair products, curling iron ... or even a comb or brush. I LOVE it!!! I did make an appointment for my "first haircut" Dec. 14. so the "hair-cutter" will be able to give it a little "style" before the holidays. I'm really going for the Jamie Lee Curtis look. :-)

hugs.
    teena
  • Taina
    Taina Member Posts: 166
    my hair is gone 2
    Hello, Donna.
    My hair was gone 10 days after my 1st chemo.
    My last chemo#4 was September 21st. My hair is just now growing.
    Your hair will grow back too.
    You are beautiful with and without hair....
    Smile and i pray your next chemo be better.
    hugs your way.....
  • BlownAway60
    Thanks for All the Great Posts
    Thanks for all the great posts and words of incouragement. You all are the best.

Donna
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Hi Donna
    I love the feel of a cool washrag on my bald head. Its something I've never felt before. Very relaxing. I wear wigs in public. They take some getting used to. Your scalp will be sore for awhile til all the stubble comes out. I hope your next chemo is better for you. I seem to be getting more tired with each one, just had #3 eight days ago and still tired and not wanting to walk much. Starting to get a little numbness and tingling in feet and hands this time, too. So far, no mouth sores or nail problems. Take care.
  • BlownAway60
    laurissa said:

Hi Donna
    I love the feel of a cool washrag on my bald head. Its something I've never felt before. Very relaxing. I wear wigs in public. They take some getting used to. Your scalp will be sore for awhile til all the stubble comes out. I hope your next chemo is better for you. I seem to be getting more tired with each one, just had #3 eight days ago and still tired and not wanting to walk much. Starting to get a little numbness and tingling in feet and hands this time, too. So far, no mouth sores or nail problems. Take care.

I wore mine to work today
    I wore my wig to work today and about half way through the day I really wanted to take it off. This morning it was a little strange to take a shower with out a shower cap. I washed my bald head just like the rest of me and you are right it did feel good. Strange but good.

Donna
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

I wore mine to work today
    I wore my wig to work today and about half way through the day I really wanted to take it off. This morning it was a little strange to take a shower with out a shower cap. I washed my bald head just like the rest of me and you are right it did feel good. Strange but good.

Donna

I am not working right now.
    I am not working right now. My hair is very slow growing, so i think it will be a while. (I'm not done with chemo )but noticed some growth on my legs. When I do go back to work I think the wig will get too hot, but wonder about wearing a scarf and how that will be? Oh well that is a way off. how fast does the hair grow?
  • lovelylola
    lovelylola Member Posts: 279

Thanks for All the Great Posts
    Thanks for all the great posts and words of incouragement. You all are the best.

Donna

Hi Donna
    Mine is coming out in clumps now too, day 17 post-1st chemo. We're having a "goodbye hair party" tomorrow and my son is buzzing mine. My grandkids are actually looking forward to seeing bald Nana, although my grandson, the gentle one of the two, is worried I will feel sad.
    I may have to wear a scarf or hat to work tomorrow though, cuz I'm not sure how much will be left in the morning.
    My chemo is next week, they don't work on the day after Thanksgiving.
    Sending good vibes and prayers your way for this go-around of chemo. :-)) Lola
  • Lynda53
    Lynda53 Member Posts: 210
    Hi Donna,Baldisbeautiful!
    I

I had 3rd chemo. most of my hair was already gone.My hair is short, I cut it a bit shorter. The falling out in the shower was the most difficult for me. Clumps of hair seemed to make this whole cancer thing more tangible. Now it is maybe 2" long, here and there.
    I do have a wig for the cold New England days. I often just go w/a hat. I have been wearing my Dad's baseball cap for comfort. I probably don't look so good, but people can see how ugly cancer is!
    Positive thoughts & prayers to you.
    Peace
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Lynda53 said:

I

I had 3rd chemo. most of my hair was already gone.My hair is short, I cut it a bit shorter. The falling out in the shower was the most difficult for me. Clumps of hair seemed to make this whole cancer thing more tangible. Now it is maybe 2" long, here and there.
    I do have a wig for the cold New England days. I often just go w/a hat. I have been wearing my Dad's baseball cap for comfort. I probably don't look so good, but people can see how ugly cancer is!
    Positive thoughts & prayers to you.
    Peace

What they say is true Donna!
    What they say is true Donna! Bald is beautiful and don't you forget it! Hoping that chemo goes better for you.