Options
2»

Comments

• always
    always Member Posts: 256
    Options
    rene9 said:

I agree
    Thanks to everyone I didn't personally respond to for your support! Here is my HUG back at you! I am taking notes-

So many newbies
    Welcome. I know you don't want to be here. You will however find strength beyond measure here. Compassion and understanding that brings peace when it is greatly needed. Like many women I am not one to seek help...but the one who usually offers it. This is a forum where you will find so joy in seeking help and in doing so find strength you never knew. But remember in the process that those who are around you daily...at home, work, church, school they are on this journey with you. All they can do is help, if you let them. Ask! It is healing for all to stay connected. That is why this site works...the connection. Try to allow it in person as well. They may not help the way you want or always know what to say. But don't avoid asking or receiving.
    becky
  • helen e
    helen e Member Posts: 223
    Options
    I teach Sp. Ed. too
    I was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma in Sept. I have my mastectomy on the 11 of Dec. They will do reconstruction at the same time. I will not need rads or chemo because of mastectomy. I just want to get it over with so I can get on with my life.

We are lucky that we found this site. We all understand what you're going through right now because we have all been there. If there is anything you need someone on this site has probably gone through it so please do not hesitate to ask or just to vent. You are not alone.
  • rene9
    rene9 Member Posts: 214
    Options
    helen e said:

I teach Sp. Ed. too
    I was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma in Sept. I have my mastectomy on the 11 of Dec. They will do reconstruction at the same time. I will not need rads or chemo because of mastectomy. I just want to get it over with so I can get on with my life.

We are lucky that we found this site. We all understand what you're going through right now because we have all been there. If there is anything you need someone on this site has probably gone through it so please do not hesitate to ask or just to vent. You are not alone.

Wow! Quite a few teachers here!
    Ok I have officially found my 2nd family right here! You all are the best! Even so, I will be a nervous wreck until December 1 when I hear my treatment plan. I don't mind the masectomy,, I just want it over too so I can continue my life, but better. Right now, I am actually feeling better about everything because I am always expecting the worst, but now I will expect the best. Thanks!
  • S3
    S3 Member Posts: 28
    Options
    rene9 said:

Also new
    Hi, I plan to get it cut short after I meet with the plastic surgeon next week, then I'll get my wig cut the same way. My husband keeps telling me I may not even need chemo, but this will be my excuse for a trendy short haircut! Thank you for your support!

Hopefuly you don't need
    Hopefuly you don't need chemo, however, you are young and most young do. It goes better if you are properly prepared.
  • S3
    Options
    kimber10 said:

Im new to this site as well
    Im new to this site as well I had a bilateral mastectomy in July no chemo or radiation just tamoxafin, Its nice to read everyones posts and see how supportive everyone on this site is I have family support but sometimes I think they are so worried about making sure they "stay positive" that I cant have a real conversation about my feelings and fears.
    So I just hope that I can be there for someone if needed

Kimber10

SOmetimes feelings and fears
    SOmetimes feelings and fears need to be talked about, My family and friends do not allow me to talk about feelings and concerns either. Cancer care counsler for free professional counseling 800-813-4673. They aloow you to talk about our grim fears and aloow us to face reality. It made me feel better, try them,
  • jbug
    jbug Member Posts: 285
    Options
    roseann said:

So many young women!
    Hi All,

I am oldie at 59 but am definately young at heart. I'm so sorry you lovely young women are dealing with this. The treatments will be done before you know it but our biggest challenge (long term) is dealing with the fear that pops up from time to time. I have developed a system for dealing with it so it doesn't "get" me. I have found guided meditation helps me get control of the "crazies". You can find CDs on the internet and in bookstores. I also recommend asking for help when you need it if you have difficulty sleeping or have symptoms of depression. Fortunately, meditating (not medicating) myself to sleep worked for me but everyone is different.

Do something nice for yourself whenever you can. When friends ask what they can do for you, tell them. Have them make meals for you and your family while you're getting chemo, ask them to take you to treatments and sit with you, they can help with laundry and house cleaning. Let them help! It is a gift to them as well as to you. Many of us with BC have a history of putting the needs of others before our own and that needs to stop NOW. We matter, too. For me, the bravest thing I ever did was to ask for and accepting help from those who love me. I was exclusively the giver until BC. My relationships are better and closer because of it.

Hugs.

Roseann

Asking for/accepting help
    WOW, thanks Roseann for your words here! (and everyone else)...right now, this is my greatest challenge. Professionally, I am a nurse (ICU) and have ALWAYS been the one to take care of people, at work and at home. I don't know how to ask or accept gracious offers of help. My sister arrives today to be w/me for my sentinal node biopsy on 25 Nov...she's giving up Thanksgiving w/her family for me! I really hate that and am touched by it as well.

I'm still early in the diagnosic stage, but have been emotionally overwhelmed. I even find it difficult to discuss a good prognosis here on this site in the light of others that are so much worse than mine. I feel guilty for still being so scared! Rationally, i know i still have the same fears to deal with...as well as that long term worry that will be with me forever. Right now, I can't help but feel that I should be not as worried and therefore not be so tearful.
  • rene9
    rene9 Member Posts: 214
    Options
    Update 1
    Hi, thought I'd post an update. I had my MRI last Tuesday and I still have a bruise on my arm. - I spoke with my doctor today and she said the tumor is really small and it's one behind it and it's small too and they are both together. She suggested a masectomy which is what I want. My surgery is scheduled for Dec. 15, but may change to an earlier date. I will also have expanders put in at the time of the surgery. She also said I may not need radiation or chemotherapy, but we'll see. I'm ready... Take care everyone!
  • S3
    Options
    rene9 said:

Update 1
    Hi, thought I'd post an update. I had my MRI last Tuesday and I still have a bruise on my arm. - I spoke with my doctor today and she said the tumor is really small and it's one behind it and it's small too and they are both together. She suggested a masectomy which is what I want. My surgery is scheduled for Dec. 15, but may change to an earlier date. I will also have expanders put in at the time of the surgery. She also said I may not need radiation or chemotherapy, but we'll see. I'm ready... Take care everyone!

I am happy for you that ypu
    I am happy for you that ypu may not needs rads or chemo, I'll pray for you!
  • walker7
    walker7 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi...another newbie...somewhat
    This site has been so helpful already to me today when I found it. Thank you to all who have posted. I was diagnosed with BC on 9/11 (a hard date to forget), had a lumpectomy, margin and sentinel lymph node biopsy on 10/6, and will be having a port put in on Mon., 12/7, and my first chemo treatment on 12/9. Everything seems to be going in the right direction...praise God! Still nervous about the whole thing, yet have a peace that passes understanding.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    walker7 said:

Hi...another newbie...somewhat
    This site has been so helpful already to me today when I found it. Thank you to all who have posted. I was diagnosed with BC on 9/11 (a hard date to forget), had a lumpectomy, margin and sentinel lymph node biopsy on 10/6, and will be having a port put in on Mon., 12/7, and my first chemo treatment on 12/9. Everything seems to be going in the right direction...praise God! Still nervous about the whole thing, yet have a peace that passes understanding.

Hi Walker
    Welcome walker to the site noone wants to join. You will find a lot of support here and lots of encouragement. Post and let us know how you are doing. Good luck with your treatment.

Hugs, Diane ♥
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    rene9 said:

Update 1

Wishing you good luck with
    Wishing you good luck with your surgery on the 15th Rene!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • walker7
    walker7 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    DianeBC said:

Hi Walker
    Welcome walker to the site noone wants to join. You will find a lot of support here and lots of encouragement. Post and let us know how you are doing. Good luck with your treatment.

Hugs, Diane ♥

Just got home...
    Thanks, Diane! I just got home from the port surgery and it went fine. I woke up while they were finishing, but that was planned because they asked me questions. It didn't hurt at all. I did have some trouble taking a deep breath...like my ribs hurt, but that's a bit better now. Left arm is a little sore, but assuming that is all normal. Overall, doing pretty good. I was given a prescription for Vicodin in case I need it. Not yet, but maybe in a while I will be sore...maybe not.

Thank you for your thoughts! Kathy