Need help - Mother has been in remission since 2002 and it seems it is back

Options
pullingforlou
pullingforlou Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Wanted to know if anyone had an experience like this. My mother was first diagnosed with the disease in 1997 (Stage 3) and when they found a 10 pound tumor. They removed it and she had a hysterictamony (sp?). Followed up with Chemo and she was cancer free. In 2002 we found a tumor in her agrenogland (sp?). Same process and she was cancer free. Doctors said she was a miracle. Last week we discovered 5 small masses the largest being 3 cm. 2 in her colon, 1 in pelvis, and 3 on her liver. We are in the begining stages here and start Chemo in a week. May question is has anyone been down this road. We still dont know if it is Ovarian or another type of cancer and i am worried because this will be first time they didnt just have surgery. Instead they are starting with Chemo.

Comments

• mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    HANG IN THERE
    Your Mom sounds like a very strong, resiliant person! And she is blessed to have a daugther such as you to help her through this. Judging by her past experience, I would say it sounds as though she will get through this as well as she did before. No one can say for sure, but she has a great deal on her side.

Many here have had chemo before surgery, so I'm sure you will get responses along that line. I'd just like to offer my prayers and hugs. Please keep us informed, and let us know how your Mom is doing. And prayers for strength for you, too!

(((HUGS)))
    Monika
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    mopar said:

HANG IN THERE
    Your Mom sounds like a very strong, resiliant person! And she is blessed to have a daugther such as you to help her through this. Judging by her past experience, I would say it sounds as though she will get through this as well as she did before. No one can say for sure, but she has a great deal on her side.

Many here have had chemo before surgery, so I'm sure you will get responses along that line. I'd just like to offer my prayers and hugs. Please keep us informed, and let us know how your Mom is doing. And prayers for strength for you, too!

(((HUGS)))
    Monika

Strong Mom
    Your mom is one strong lady to have fought this off two times already with such long remissions. I am 71 and have had three surgeries (only one for the cancer). Because of the age and expected scar tissue, the surgeons are not jumping with joy for more surgery. I have been on chemo since August and it is shrinking the tumor on my colon quite nicely. Because of the time since my last chemo, I started on carboplatin which works well for me. Initially, I had 4 chemos before surgery because I had so many tumors. Hope is helps. (Prayers and strength for you and your mom) Saundra
  • pullingforlou
    pullingforlou Member Posts: 7
    Options
    saundra said:

Strong Mom
    Your mom is one strong lady to have fought this off two times already with such long remissions. I am 71 and have had three surgeries (only one for the cancer). Because of the age and expected scar tissue, the surgeons are not jumping with joy for more surgery. I have been on chemo since August and it is shrinking the tumor on my colon quite nicely. Because of the time since my last chemo, I started on carboplatin which works well for me. Initially, I had 4 chemos before surgery because I had so many tumors. Hope is helps. (Prayers and strength for you and your mom) Saundra

Thank You
    Thanks for the support and responses. We found it that it is Ovarian Cancer. We start Chemo in a week. Looks like this time around it is stage 4. Two small masses on the colon. One pelvis area, and 3 on the liver. Largest of the masses is 3 cm. Glad to her you guys are doing well
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options

Thank You
    Thanks for the support and responses. We found it that it is Ovarian Cancer. We start Chemo in a week. Looks like this time around it is stage 4. Two small masses on the colon. One pelvis area, and 3 on the liver. Largest of the masses is 3 cm. Glad to her you guys are doing well

Liver
    I had three liver tumors to start with that were inoperatable that were 2.5 cm in diameter. They shrunk with 4 doses of carbo/taxol to 1 cm and were burned out during the debulking surgery with radio frequency ablation. This took another surgeon in the op room. They have not come back! This was done at Baylor Hosp. in Dallas in July, 2007. I had two on my colon also that were cut off but sections of the colon were not removed. That is my problem area now. Your mother can e-mail me thru this site by selecting "Mail" instead of Discussion at the opening after you sign in. Saundra
  • royboy
    royboy Member Posts: 1
    Options
    What a wonderful and supportive daughter you are! Your mother sounds like a very strong woman and with you behind her and prayers, I believe anything is possible. First diagnosed w/Ovarian cancer in '94 and that ovary was removed, went back to resection bowel, found tumor on my other ovary. Did radical hysterectomy with bowel resection. In long remission from '94, until '05 it mestastisized on a lymph node in pelvic area, no surgery, straight to chemo of Etoposide, Cisplatnum and Bleomyicin (spelling may be off on all or one of those? LOL). Did that from May thru August of 2006 and it has now matastisized again on another lymph node in same area. It continues as Ovarian Cancer because that is where it originated and it is the same type of tumor Stage III(c)/IV. Doing same treatment minus Bleo. However, no surgery this time either. I trust my doctor explicitly. He asked why I kept coming back, and I said as long as you, thru God, keep saving my life, I will! LOL! Of course, sense of humor is a requirement for recovery in my book! I wish your mother all the best and will keep you both in my prayers. I have no doubt I will recover again this time! I feel the same for your mother considering previous replies above. Keep the faith! God's Blessings. Judith S.