liver questions

Options
iluvmms
iluvmms Member Posts: 134 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I went to Moffitt on Tuesday and had a PET , CEA and CT. Good news CEA down from 78 to 2.5, yeah!! The ct and PET showed the tumor in liver that was tehre is dead or not lighting up now, but it also showed another small area that did light up in the PET. I am confused why chemo did not get that one. Theyare trying to decide if I can have a resection, but they think not. They would have totake about 80% and that is too much. So they are also looking at RFA, Radiation and/or theradiation with the little glass speres. Does anyone know about this??

CHristy

Comments

  • zenmonk
    zenmonk Member Posts: 198
    Options
    Hi
    They told me at first my liver was inoperable as well. I think liver resection viability is one of those things were multiple opinions help. I have talked to some people who where told they were inoperable by one Dr. then successfully operated on by another. I had to go to two Dr's before I found one that would do it.
  • iluvmms
    iluvmms Member Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    zenmonk said:

    Hi
    They told me at first my liver was inoperable as well. I think liver resection viability is one of those things were multiple opinions help. I have talked to some people who where told they were inoperable by one Dr. then successfully operated on by another. I had to go to two Dr's before I found one that would do it.

    how much liver did they have
    how much liver did they have to remove?
  • sfmarie
    sfmarie Member Posts: 602
    Options
    Liver Surgeon
    Yes, try and speak to a liver surgeon. They have said they can take up to 70% if the liver. But maybe you just need more chemo and you will get there. Don't lose hope, it can be done! Sounds like you are getting good results and they don't know until they do the pre-op.
    Good luck! Marie
  • shrevebud
    shrevebud Member Posts: 105
    Options
    Other Treatments
    Hi Christy:

    I'm told I'm not a candidate for ablation (RFA), but I am eligible for the radioactive spheers - I went for a consultation about having that done. It's pretty involved. I chose to have chemoembolization on my liver instead of the spheres, but I am still eligible for them if I want to go that route. I felt they had a lot of possible side effects or things that could go wrong later. I'd rather have the hepatic pump done instead. Have you looked into that? Whatever you and your doctor decide I have faith that it will be the best treatment for you. Take care. Roy
  • zigswife
    zigswife Member Posts: 61
    Options
    Christy-
    Did they talk about

    Christy-
    Did they talk about the option of staging a liver resection where they take out what's on one side, let it regenerate, and then go in and take out the other side? We are waiting to hear if my husband can have a liver resection and one of the options they have mentioned is doing it in two parts since he's not a candidate to have it all done at once. A second opinion sounds like a great idea!
  • zenmonk
    zenmonk Member Posts: 198
    Options
    liver resection
    for me they removed one entire lobe and did wedge resections on 4 tumors on the opposite side and then did RFA on one more tumor on the opposite side. Of course none of that could have happened without an excellent response to chemo which shrunk/killed the tumors enough to were I became operable. Liver resection is a huge topic. Some DR's have skills that other DR's dont have. I would definatly get multiple opinions and possibly a plan to get your from the inoperable stage to the operable stage.
  • iluvmms
    iluvmms Member Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    zenmonk said:

    liver resection
    for me they removed one entire lobe and did wedge resections on 4 tumors on the opposite side and then did RFA on one more tumor on the opposite side. Of course none of that could have happened without an excellent response to chemo which shrunk/killed the tumors enough to were I became operable. Liver resection is a huge topic. Some DR's have skills that other DR's dont have. I would definatly get multiple opinions and possibly a plan to get your from the inoperable stage to the operable stage.

    liver
    I am now waiting til the 3rd of December and they are taking my "case" to the tumor board at Moffitt Cancer Center. Both tumors are in the right lobe, but are close to arteries, they said I have a 50/50 chance of surgery. If not the spheres are an option, or radiation every day or a RFA on one of them. The other is not active and it is 4.5 cm and doc said too large for RFA??? Any imput is greatly appreciated.