Is this a possible reason for so many with breast cancer?

tyblossom
tyblossom Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just saw on the news that in Norway there is a study that says there is an increase in people who take folic acid with vitamins B's. I'm wondering since I remember hearing in the past that women who have had children are more likely to get cancer. It might have been those who breast feed, but I can't remember for sure. I just wondered though....women who breast feed were probably on folic acid and a lot of times they are with the B vitamins. I hope they can look into this to see if this could be part of the reason for some.

Comments

  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Every thing that I have read
    Every thing that I have read points to breast feeding being a benefit not a risk factor. Folic acid and Vitamin B6 are also supposed to be beneficial. Do you know the name of the study? WOuld be interested in reading what they have to say.
    Stef
  • always
    always Member Posts: 256
    fauxma said:

    Every thing that I have read
    Every thing that I have read points to breast feeding being a benefit not a risk factor. Folic acid and Vitamin B6 are also supposed to be beneficial. Do you know the name of the study? WOuld be interested in reading what they have to say.
    Stef

    Don't know
    For years one of the benefits of breast feeding was the always reduced incident of breast cancer...just like no birth control pills or smoking. Determining factors for me in all three cases. All prenatal pills have both B6 and folic acid as do most multi vitamins geared to women. I am not sure this can coorelate. It is an interesting question.
    becky
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    always said:

    Don't know
    For years one of the benefits of breast feeding was the always reduced incident of breast cancer...just like no birth control pills or smoking. Determining factors for me in all three cases. All prenatal pills have both B6 and folic acid as do most multi vitamins geared to women. I am not sure this can coorelate. It is an interesting question.
    becky

    I googled this study and
    I googled this study and quickly read through it. What I read stated it was for lung cancer in heart patients and the test subjects were current or former smokers. There are also other researchers that are disputing the findings. Becky, I have heard exactly what you said, breast feeding, folic acid and B6 are all beneficial not a risk.
    Stef
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Everything I've read says
    Everything I've read says that breastfeeding is supposed to help prevent breast cancer - I did not breast feed my boys. I also read in a couple of places that having your first child at an older age would increase your risk - I was 31 with first son.
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490
    Rague said:

    Everything I've read says
    Everything I've read says that breastfeeding is supposed to help prevent breast cancer - I did not breast feed my boys. I also read in a couple of places that having your first child at an older age would increase your risk - I was 31 with first son.

    Well, I do not smoke, do not
    Well, I do not smoke, do not drink, had my sons by age 30. Breastfed both. I still got breast cancer. I am convinced something is causing more and more breast cancers, and I personally believe it's second -hand smoke!
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    lanie940 said:

    Well, I do not smoke, do not
    Well, I do not smoke, do not drink, had my sons by age 30. Breastfed both. I still got breast cancer. I am convinced something is causing more and more breast cancers, and I personally believe it's second -hand smoke!

    I think a lot has to do with
    I think a lot has to do with everything that gets into the atmosphere. I've never been a smoker either BUT most of my life has been spent around the air wings of the military, so exposed to a lot of fumes/exhaust from planes. I grew up on Army then Air Force bases, was in the Army, then married to Parachute Rigger (Navy) for 20 years actually living under the flight path several times. I was a hairdresser for quite a few years, have lived in dry, dusty areas and worked with screen printing 'stuff' and upholstery. So I've been around a lot of chemicals. Plus I had nasty radiation to my throat in 1948 after my tonsils were taken out so for me lots of possibilities as to why I got IBC. No one else in my family has had any cancer at all - so go figure - at 63 I get a cancer that usually hits younger women.

    Susan
  • pinkflutterby
    pinkflutterby Member Posts: 615 Member
    Rague said:

    I think a lot has to do with
    I think a lot has to do with everything that gets into the atmosphere. I've never been a smoker either BUT most of my life has been spent around the air wings of the military, so exposed to a lot of fumes/exhaust from planes. I grew up on Army then Air Force bases, was in the Army, then married to Parachute Rigger (Navy) for 20 years actually living under the flight path several times. I was a hairdresser for quite a few years, have lived in dry, dusty areas and worked with screen printing 'stuff' and upholstery. So I've been around a lot of chemicals. Plus I had nasty radiation to my throat in 1948 after my tonsils were taken out so for me lots of possibilities as to why I got IBC. No one else in my family has had any cancer at all - so go figure - at 63 I get a cancer that usually hits younger women.

    Susan

    I have 3 kids, 24, 21 and 8
    I have 3 kids, 24, 21 and 8 so I had them young and older - I never smoked - hardly drank and I breast fed and I have breast cancer.

    My theory - I worked in a rather small law firm - 5 attorneys and 9 support staff - 3 of the women in the office, including me, developed some type of cancer. 2 breast and the other was colon - anyway all three of us sat next to laser printers. When those things start up in the morning they really put off a gassy smell and I'm sure they send fumes in the air all day while running. I am the only one of the 3 who is still alive.
  • xskeetshooter
    xskeetshooter Member Posts: 169
    comes from your family
    its in your genes
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member

    comes from your family
    its in your genes

    In some cases definately but
    In some cases definately but not all.
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Rague said:

    In some cases definately but
    In some cases definately but not all.

    So much they still don't know.
    Many women with BC have no family history. I was told that having children before age 30 and having more pregancies reduces our risk because we will have less exposure to estrogen. Also, women who start their periods young and go through menopause late are exposed to more estrogen and are at higher risk. Breast feeding is believed to reduce breast cancer risk. Who knows?

    Deepok Chopra has a new book which addresses the gene theory. Other than the mutations, there is evidence that our genes change throughtout our lives. Even identical twins who have matching genes at birth have a very different gene pool later in life. Interesting.

    Roseann
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    roseann4 said:

    So much they still don't know.
    Many women with BC have no family history. I was told that having children before age 30 and having more pregancies reduces our risk because we will have less exposure to estrogen. Also, women who start their periods young and go through menopause late are exposed to more estrogen and are at higher risk. Breast feeding is believed to reduce breast cancer risk. Who knows?

    Deepok Chopra has a new book which addresses the gene theory. Other than the mutations, there is evidence that our genes change throughtout our lives. Even identical twins who have matching genes at birth have a very different gene pool later in life. Interesting.

    Roseann

    I'm one of those women with
    I'm one of those women with no family history of cancer of any kind for 4 generations that I know of for sure yet I have IBC. Also I'm 63 and 'it' usually hits younger women (I was diagnosed Aug 7 09). I didn't start periods early, went through an early natural menopause, did not do HRT (didn't tolerate it in short trial). I had my boys at 31 and 32 and did not breastfeed.

    Certainly it can be in the genes IN SOME CASES BUT NOT ALL.
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    lanie940 said:

    Well, I do not smoke, do not
    Well, I do not smoke, do not drink, had my sons by age 30. Breastfed both. I still got breast cancer. I am convinced something is causing more and more breast cancers, and I personally believe it's second -hand smoke!

    Brst ca
    I think it's all the additives and nitrites in foods. Even organic foods have caused people to get sick. Salmanella for one.
    I brst feed three kids had reg checks. Ate reasonably well no smoking, exposed to some smokers and I have brst ca and 18/20 pos nodes. Lived in LA most my life, so may I add pollution. Little children are getting cancers at a higher rate now, any thoughts on that?
  • kckhud
    kckhud Member Posts: 9
    Rague said:

    I'm one of those women with
    I'm one of those women with no family history of cancer of any kind for 4 generations that I know of for sure yet I have IBC. Also I'm 63 and 'it' usually hits younger women (I was diagnosed Aug 7 09). I didn't start periods early, went through an early natural menopause, did not do HRT (didn't tolerate it in short trial). I had my boys at 31 and 32 and did not breastfeed.

    Certainly it can be in the genes IN SOME CASES BUT NOT ALL.

    Part of the research with
    Part of the research with the genetic mutations and breast cancer is that they have definitively identified BRCA1 & BRCA2 genes as a strong tie to developing breast cancer, but the clinical geneticists also acknowledge that these are the 2 that have been clearly identified ---- there is a good amount of researchers who would also acknowledge that there are probably other "genes" out there but there is not the evidence to support the connection to breast cancer....down the road, more genes and breast cancer will probably be discovered just not sure whose lifetime that will be in mine, my children or my grandchildren. I did not test positive for the 2 known mutations although both my sister and I were in our forties at diagnosis, of Ashkenazi heritage (along with Irish & English), non-smokers, not big drinkers, breast fed had our children in our late 20's early thirties, etc etc. My money is on the fact that in the years to come, research will correllate additional genes into the picture!
  • mono5
    mono5 Member Posts: 94
    kckhud said:

    Part of the research with
    Part of the research with the genetic mutations and breast cancer is that they have definitively identified BRCA1 & BRCA2 genes as a strong tie to developing breast cancer, but the clinical geneticists also acknowledge that these are the 2 that have been clearly identified ---- there is a good amount of researchers who would also acknowledge that there are probably other "genes" out there but there is not the evidence to support the connection to breast cancer....down the road, more genes and breast cancer will probably be discovered just not sure whose lifetime that will be in mine, my children or my grandchildren. I did not test positive for the 2 known mutations although both my sister and I were in our forties at diagnosis, of Ashkenazi heritage (along with Irish & English), non-smokers, not big drinkers, breast fed had our children in our late 20's early thirties, etc etc. My money is on the fact that in the years to come, research will correllate additional genes into the picture!

    Not just breast cancer....
    But cancer in general, I've found out, is not just the luck of the draw. Even if there is a history of cancer in your family, you can still avoid it by making lifestyle changes and educating yourself about vitamins, herbs and foods that support antioxidant activity and immune support, and above all, healthy cell division. Cancer is a survival Mechanism, a reaction pathway to puting us on notice that something terribly has gone wrong inside of us and until we correct that problem, we will always live in fear of the beast. I've walked this path and have have been in remission 9 years. My diet consists of mostly raw, organic (Non-GMO)foods and herbs that I've studied over the years that promote healthy cell division and that stimulate circulatory and lymphatic functions (Detox as part of a daily regime.) Your immune system is your security system. In it are the soldiers that go out and fight the battle for you everyday. Supporting a healty immune system and preventing cancer is simple and straightforward: It only requires daily exposure to the right nutrients (phytonutrients, vitamin D, etc.) and protection from exposure to cancer-causing chemicals -- especially endocrine disruptors like cow's milk, conventional meats, plastics, pharmaceuticals and food additive chemicals.

    Real cancer solutions include:

    • Lots of vitamin D and natural sunshine.
    • Regular exercise.
    • Daily intake of anti-cancer foods (sprouts, raw cruciferous vegetable juice, etc.)
    • Daily intake of superfoods (berries, garlic, turmeric, cacao, goji berries, etc.)
    • Daily intake of anti-cancer herbs (Cat's Claw, green tea, etc.)
    • Daily intake of additional anti-cancer supplements (pomegranate, zinc, resveratrol, etc.)
    • Complete avoidance of toxic chemicals in personal care products (shampoo, cosmetics, skin lotions, etc.)
  • LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
    High Folic Acid Intake
    From what I've read, that study focused on people who were given 0.8 mg per day of folic plus vitamin B12 (0.4 mg/d) and vitamin B6 (40 mg/d) to treat heart disease for an average of 39 months, to the point that their folate levels increased 6 times. Their folic acid intake was higher than is normal in the U.S., even with the addition of folic acid to food products to help prevent neural tube birth defects.

    It may be possible that our addition of folic acid to grain products could have unforeseen risks. We (the U.S.) only began adding folic acid to grain products in 1996, so it would only be the last few years that we'd be able to see whether that might have caused an increase in cancer in our population in the U.S.

    However, some other studies have suggested that increasing folate levels may *reduce* the risk for cancer.

    I think that they need to do some population-level studies to determine the reality of folic acid supplementation in relation to cancer.
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143
    mono5 said:

    Not just breast cancer....
    But cancer in general, I've found out, is not just the luck of the draw. Even if there is a history of cancer in your family, you can still avoid it by making lifestyle changes and educating yourself about vitamins, herbs and foods that support antioxidant activity and immune support, and above all, healthy cell division. Cancer is a survival Mechanism, a reaction pathway to puting us on notice that something terribly has gone wrong inside of us and until we correct that problem, we will always live in fear of the beast. I've walked this path and have have been in remission 9 years. My diet consists of mostly raw, organic (Non-GMO)foods and herbs that I've studied over the years that promote healthy cell division and that stimulate circulatory and lymphatic functions (Detox as part of a daily regime.) Your immune system is your security system. In it are the soldiers that go out and fight the battle for you everyday. Supporting a healty immune system and preventing cancer is simple and straightforward: It only requires daily exposure to the right nutrients (phytonutrients, vitamin D, etc.) and protection from exposure to cancer-causing chemicals -- especially endocrine disruptors like cow's milk, conventional meats, plastics, pharmaceuticals and food additive chemicals.

    Real cancer solutions include:

    • Lots of vitamin D and natural sunshine.
    • Regular exercise.
    • Daily intake of anti-cancer foods (sprouts, raw cruciferous vegetable juice, etc.)
    • Daily intake of superfoods (berries, garlic, turmeric, cacao, goji berries, etc.)
    • Daily intake of anti-cancer herbs (Cat's Claw, green tea, etc.)
    • Daily intake of additional anti-cancer supplements (pomegranate, zinc, resveratrol, etc.)
    • Complete avoidance of toxic chemicals in personal care products (shampoo, cosmetics, skin lotions, etc.)

    Trying to avoid cancer...
    Mono, I do those things, too, and hope for a good outcome, but there is also the fact that we just don't know a whole heck of a lot about why some people get cancer and others don't. In many ways, our helplessness is frightening, but I think we need to treat our bodies well anyway, because that could make the difference in some cases. I also believe that environmental causes of cancer are not being adequately addressed. Cancer rates, especially among the young, have increaesed. Why is this? This is the question of the century.

    Mimi