A MIXED BAG OF NEWS FOR ME

eric38
eric38 Member Posts: 583
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
It`s not great news but it`s not completely bad either. All the areas that I had before are clear but 2 new areas have popped up. At my last scan I still had some activity in the abdomen. The original activity was on the right and it is gone but there is new activity on the left but the doc said they didn`t know if it was cancer or just inflammation. The main area of concern is the rectum. New activity has popped up there but the doctor said he didn`t know if it was an actual tumor or just some rogue cells. He is going to schedule a sigmoidoscopy to find out. If there is a tumor it will completely change the game plan. If there is not a tumor he is going to give me 4 more treatments and then put me on maintenance. Isn`t it weird how it can clear up in one area and pop up some place else?
The good news is he is giving me a chemo break until early December so I should befeeling pretty good by Thanksgiving and I am miles away from where I was six months ago or even way before my diagnosis. I had four tumors in my liver and now my liver is completely clear of any activity and that is the one that can take you out quick. I may never be ned but for now the cancer seems to be un der control. The areas that popped up are small areas and nothing has spread into other organs so in that respect I am lucky. I guess instead of taking me out back and shooting me they are going to keep me in the stable for a while. I am a little damaged but still fixable. Thanks again for the prayers and support. I will probably be on more now at least until my next 4 treatments. The break will help tremendously.
Eric ( : . }

Comments

• Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    You are correct good and not so good
    You are correct good and not so good news. Enjoy the good news, worrying gets you no where......Have a turkey!
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Hey Eric
    The Good, The Bad,

Hey Eric

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, huh?

The rectum bothers me but I hope it is not cancerous, or the game plan will change as you said. Cancer is such a tough opponent.

The new tumors hopefully will go away too with some more rounds of chemo.

Keep me posted, buddy - it's good to hear from you.

Looks like you will be around for awhile - they don't shoot horses anymore do they :)

-Craig
  • Julie 44
    Julie 44 Member Posts: 476 Member
    Nana b said:

You are correct good and not so good
    You are correct good and not so good news. Enjoy the good news, worrying gets you no where......Have a turkey!

Glad to hear from you
    Hey Eric,
    Glad to hear from you I was getting very worried about you....Well the news isn't to bad it could be alot worse I guess....The break in treatment will make a world of difference not only to your body but your mind too..Enjoy that time and try not to make yourself to crazy about the rest..I know it is easier said than done...Remember to take good care of yourself and do what they tell you to do even though it means more testing and finishing your treatments...You can get through this too....You are in my thoughts and prayers.....JULIE
  • sfmarie
    sfmarie Member Posts: 602
    Wow
    Eric,

I read your post and it is a teary eyed day for me. Your report sounds good and I pray that the new activity is not cancerous. I am glad that your liver tumors are gone! It sounds like you have responded well. A break is always good and will hopefully give you an appetite to really enjoy a Thanksgiving Feast.

Lots of thoughts and prayers for clear sigmoidoscopy.

Marie
  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    Good and bad seems to be the norm on this rollercoaster
    we're riding now and the only thing we can do is try to increase the good and minimize the bad. But apparently(and unfortunately) the cells in our bodies have plans of there own.Wishing you the best, Eric, ......Steve
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    coloCan said:

Good and bad seems to be the norm on this rollercoaster
    we're riding now and the only thing we can do is try to increase the good and minimize the bad. But apparently(and unfortunately) the cells in our bodies have plans of there own.Wishing you the best, Eric, ......Steve

up and down
    everyone is right...Eric...seems to be up and down...I like to think of merry go round....Stop I'd like to get off ,,,,nope not happening

take a little breather, all best wishes

mags
  • Fight for my love
    Fight for my love Member Posts: 1,522 Member
    Hi Eric,at least they can
    Hi Eric,at least they can still deal with the problem you have,let's hope for the best.Hang in there,there is always hope.I always believe you will be NED soon!Take care.
  • karguy
    karguy Member Posts: 1,020 Member
    I'm happy
    I'm happy for the good news,and I pray that the bad turns good.Have a good thanksgiving,and I will be praying for you.
  • ittapp
    ittapp Member Posts: 383 Member
    Mostly good news
    Eric, this sounds like mostly good news! I had read your post earlier today while I was at chemo and waiting anxiously for your results.You are so tough and positive and that will get you through this battle. Easier said and done and I need to take my own advice!! Question...did your CEA levels rise before you got the news of new activity? Just curious because I had my levels rise today (almost doubled) 10.5-22. It seems not all Onc. use this as a tool. Just wondering. I continue to pray for you in my nightly prayers. God Bless, Patti
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    You deserve a break!!!!
    And the timing is right...for the holidays...

Now, don't wear yourself out too much, but at the same time, well ENJOY!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • usakat
    usakat Member Posts: 610 Member
    Steady On!
    Hey Eric,

Like Craig says...the good, the bad and the ugly. But...sounds like your liver is looking rather lovely, which is fantastic. All and all, it appears that you are still on the winning side of cancer. Keep us posted as you get further news. And how nice you can work up a good hunger for Thanksgiving - go ahead and calorie load - eat well and enjoy the holiday!

Much to be thankful for - and many continued prayers and blessings for restored good health, comfort, and happiness.
  • robinvan
    robinvan Member Posts: 1,012
    Mostly Good.
    Eric, I recently had a recurrence in the rectum which grew on the outside of the colon and thus did not show up on colonoscopy or sigmoid. Samples of lining were negative too. Not to alarm you but something to think about. Scope may miss things. Beware if you start having any problems in pelvic area.

Bye for now... Rob; in Vancouver
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    robinvan said:

Mostly Good.
    Eric, I recently had a recurrence in the rectum which grew on the outside of the colon and thus did not show up on colonoscopy or sigmoid. Samples of lining were negative too. Not to alarm you but something to think about. Scope may miss things. Beware if you start having any problems in pelvic area.

Bye for now... Rob; in Vancouver

Eric....
    It's me and you on the maintenance with others, we can all do this darlin', and you will do fine, we have time, it will be good :)

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Shayenne said:

Eric....
    It's me and you on the maintenance with others, we can all do this darlin', and you will do fine, we have time, it will be good :)

Hugsss!
    ~Donna

Welcome Back Buddy.....
    We take any good news we get and worry about the other when we have to deal with it. Now is not the time, let revel in the good for a little while....Take care.....Buzzard
  • mom_2_3
    mom_2_3 Member Posts: 953 Member
    Keep on...
    Keep on Eric with your treatments and you will lick this stuff into submission. Enjoy your chemo break and know that you are in the thoughts and prayers of many, including me.

Amy
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Well you had good news and some not so good news. I'm glad that your liver is clear, but so sorry about the new findings. I'm hoping that they can clear those up too. Sounds like your doctor already has a good plan for you so that is good.

Kim
  • Paula G.
    Paula G. Member Posts: 596
    Eric
    You do so need a break. Then back to kicking butt! It is good news bad news but I think the liver showing up clear is good. So under control is good for now. You are fixable and I am glad to see you on the board. Paula
  • Kathryn_in_MN
    Kathryn_in_MN Member Posts: 1,252 Member
    Good news on the liver
    I'm happy to hear your good news on the liver, and that you get a little chemo break. The timing is perfect with Thanksgiving coming up.

I hope the two new areas of concern turn out to be nothing.
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Sorry
    Hey, Eric.

I do wish the news had been all completely good, but it sounds like it could all still turn out okay. Keep us posted, and we'll keep the prayers coming.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • eric38
    eric38 Member Posts: 583
    Sundanceh said:

Hey Eric
    The Good, The Bad,

Hey Eric

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, huh?

The rectum bothers me but I hope it is not cancerous, or the game plan will change as you said. Cancer is such a tough opponent.

The new tumors hopefully will go away too with some more rounds of chemo.

Keep me posted, buddy - it's good to hear from you.

Looks like you will be around for awhile - they don't shoot horses anymore do they :)

-Craig

Craig
    They don`t shoot horses any more, they just put them to sleep. It`s a whole different kind of shot than gun shot.

Eric