Newbie want preparation for Port

cantthink
cantthink Member Posts: 36
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi, I'm on day 9 of TAC, and supposed to get a port next monday. I quickly discovered the way to survive this ordeal is to search this board, and then most of my problems are tolerable, thanks so much for glutamine, clariten (thank you goddesses, that save me from being bedridden) not to mention comraderie and understanding.
So this time I want to go prepared, I was sort of rushed in to my first round, and didn't prepare as well as I could have, so are there any tips and tricks on how to cope with having the port put in?
thank you!!!

Comments

• Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    CantThink
    As for the port... Let me tell you-I was terrified at the thought of having something implanted into my chest! I vented my concerns here and by the time I went in I was fine. I only insisted that I be put "OUT". Boy did I ever go out! All I remember saying in the holding area was "I feel kinda funny" and the next thing I knew I was in recovery! I had very minimal pain afterwards and am now so greatful that I have it. You may not believe it now but you will appreciate having one. The only downside-sometimes you forget it's there, so watch out for sudden movements at first!
    Hope this helps!
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    Port is a breeze. Doc said
    Port is a breeze. Doc said the anthesia(sp) would put me in kind of a lala land but I would still be awake I just wouldn't remember anything. Last thing I remember is getting the drug in my IV and telling the tech I feel fine. Next thing I know they are waking me up to say I can go home once I get my bearings. Sweet.
    I had no bruising, alittle swelling, Took the pain meds the first day just incase but didn't need any the next day. Only complaint has been the healing process has been itchy and had a pulling sensation. Only time it hurt was when my niece hugged me. When driving do get a little pillow to cushion it against the seatbelt. Cancer Society has them.
  • cantthink
    cantthink Member Posts: 36

Port is a breeze. Doc said
    Port is a breeze. Doc said the anthesia(sp) would put me in kind of a lala land but I would still be awake I just wouldn't remember anything. Last thing I remember is getting the drug in my IV and telling the tech I feel fine. Next thing I know they are waking me up to say I can go home once I get my bearings. Sweet.
    I had no bruising, alittle swelling, Took the pain meds the first day just incase but didn't need any the next day. Only complaint has been the healing process has been itchy and had a pulling sensation. Only time it hurt was when my niece hugged me. When driving do get a little pillow to cushion it against the seatbelt. Cancer Society has them.

thank you
    I hope mine goes as well.
  • blazytracy
    blazytracy Member Posts: 157
    Not much prep needed
    Basically it is a 1/2 hour procedure, in and out very quickly and not remember anything. I guess if you take a blood-thinning meds. they would like you to quit those for a few days before..also of course clear liquids the day of surgery. Mine hurt quite a bit afterwards but that is just me. It doesn't hurt too much anymore but understand that it will most likely be tender all of the time. I bruise very easily and it is still bruised. I had mine put in on Nov. 10th. I had my first day of chemo yesterday (1 week later) and it worked just fine.

Hope that helps - Good luck to you!
  • newbiefromcananda
    newbiefromcananda Member Posts: 234

Not much prep needed
    Basically it is a 1/2 hour procedure, in and out very quickly and not remember anything. I guess if you take a blood-thinning meds. they would like you to quit those for a few days before..also of course clear liquids the day of surgery. Mine hurt quite a bit afterwards but that is just me. It doesn't hurt too much anymore but understand that it will most likely be tender all of the time. I bruise very easily and it is still bruised. I had mine put in on Nov. 10th. I had my first day of chemo yesterday (1 week later) and it worked just fine.

Hope that helps - Good luck to you!

I go tomorrow for mine , not
    I go tomorrow for mine , not sure what is worse going to sleep or being awake for it??? I know it will be fine thanks to everyone and good luck with the port :) ;lisa
  • shortscake
    shortscake Member Posts: 228
    port
    Had mine put in on the 10 of this month and so far i have not had any problems with it, sleeping was a problem at first they had me sleeping with my head at 30 degrees.oh ya please dont put your bag on that arm its going to be some pain out of this world, but other then that no pain from it at all.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    My port was put in one
    My port was put in one morning and the next day I started chemo.

I had very little discomfort at all. The day it was put in Hubby insisted that I take the 'feel good" pills the Dr prescribed - I just wanted reg Tylenol but I humored him and took one in the afternoon and one before bed but when he woke me up in the middle of the night to take another one - I flat refused to. Not knowing what to expect at the first chemo I did take one before it but didn't take any more - not even regular Tylenol. woke up in the OR and was taken to the 'get dressed, eat and get out of here' area. Had to wait for Hubby to come back to get me as he had taken off to feed the horses as soon as Dr. came out and told him that he was done. Did get me out of cleaning stalls for a while though.
  • Deb1969
    Deb1969 Member Posts: 165
    Rague said:

My port was put in one
    My port was put in one morning and the next day I started chemo.

I had very little discomfort at all. The day it was put in Hubby insisted that I take the 'feel good" pills the Dr prescribed - I just wanted reg Tylenol but I humored him and took one in the afternoon and one before bed but when he woke me up in the middle of the night to take another one - I flat refused to. Not knowing what to expect at the first chemo I did take one before it but didn't take any more - not even regular Tylenol. woke up in the OR and was taken to the 'get dressed, eat and get out of here' area. Had to wait for Hubby to come back to get me as he had taken off to feed the horses as soon as Dr. came out and told him that he was done. Did get me out of cleaning stalls for a while though.

Ive had my port now for 3
    Ive had my port now for 3 months. Took quite awhile to heal up for me. Was on antibiotics for awhile. Had no bruising, but always can feel something in my chest, my range of motion was not too good to begin with. Wearing a seat belt is uncomfortable. Be sure when they flush your port prior to chemo put a piece of candy in your mouth. Peppermint works the best for me, cause the awefulest taste and smell comes in your mouth. Also ask for EMLA cream to use prior to access it helps with the needlestick.
    Deb
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    Deb1969 said:

Ive had my port now for 3
    Ive had my port now for 3 months. Took quite awhile to heal up for me. Was on antibiotics for awhile. Had no bruising, but always can feel something in my chest, my range of motion was not too good to begin with. Wearing a seat belt is uncomfortable. Be sure when they flush your port prior to chemo put a piece of candy in your mouth. Peppermint works the best for me, cause the awefulest taste and smell comes in your mouth. Also ask for EMLA cream to use prior to access it helps with the needlestick.
    Deb

I've had my port since Aug.
    I've had my port since Aug. and will have it until Oct. 2010. Most of the time I don't even know it's there. Have to be careful not to lift heavy things. Definitely get the knumbing cream. Good idea Deb about the candy. I'll try that next week. I usually hold my breath.
    Sher
  • elizarose
    elizarose Member Posts: 124
    Sher43009 said:

I've had my port since Aug.
    I've had my port since Aug. and will have it until Oct. 2010. Most of the time I don't even know it's there. Have to be careful not to lift heavy things. Definitely get the knumbing cream. Good idea Deb about the candy. I'll try that next week. I usually hold my breath.
    Sher

I have to say the port was
    I have to say the port was the easiest part of the whole thing. Sometimes when I would lie on that side it would pinch a bit but overall I didn't have any trouble with it hurting. It was more of an aggravation because it was something foreign in me. I don't remember having any trouble lifting or moving that side of me or that arm.
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    the port
    hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The port! I hated the thing every blessed day it was in. The surgery wasn't too bad, but I had an issue after placement where I couldn't move my head for DAYS. snd I had a reaction to the dressing they placed over it.. Mine was placed very high in the chest and ran up my neck and then back down into the heart. My neck was swollen and badly bruised. after that healed..

It was just bothersome. It was always in the way and uncomfortable. Had to watch everything I wore and my kids would constantly bang into it.. (my youngest is 2) and couldn't sleep on the side it was placed.. and could not wear a seat belt when driving because it would lie right over the port and cause increase discomfort.. ( i am very short, 4'10)

but it did its job and never gave me any trouble accessing it or getting blood draws..

However I am so happy it is out.. I had it removed 1 week after chemo was done.. hehe best day of my life.. the surgery was a breeze...
  • contrail
    contrail Member Posts: 129
    Had Port in For 10 Months
    I had a port placed in January for my chemo, and I'm so thankful I did. I have weird veins and the nurses in the infusion clinic told me I's have had a terrible time with the chemo without the port. As it was, the port made the infusions quite easy. Then I took part in a trial study where I needed the port again. I'm now at the point in the study where I can have it removed, and I'm doing that when I have my reconstructive surgery in December. I will be glad to have it out, but I'm so thankful I had it for this year of treatments. Connie
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    contrail said:

Had Port in For 10 Months
    I had a port placed in January for my chemo, and I'm so thankful I did. I have weird veins and the nurses in the infusion clinic told me I's have had a terrible time with the chemo without the port. As it was, the port made the infusions quite easy. Then I took part in a trial study where I needed the port again. I'm now at the point in the study where I can have it removed, and I'm doing that when I have my reconstructive surgery in December. I will be glad to have it out, but I'm so thankful I had it for this year of treatments. Connie

Port is not bad at all.
    Port is not bad at all. Every now and again it can be uncomfortable, but so very doable.