Need to have more opinions

Macyyin
Macyyin Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
My mom is 70 years old and was found stage IV lung cancer two monthes ago. It metastese to the brain, liver and multiple bones already. She start radiotherapy and had 20 times on the brain and 5 times on spine. She lost all her appetite and nausea sometimes. Dr. suggest her to start radiotherapy after finish spine and brain. Anyone has the same as experience and know anyone has the same experience and would like to share some information? Anyone hears Iressa and Tarceva and how they work?

Comments

• bregem
    bregem Member Posts: 3
    Sorry to hear about your Mum. My Mum is 73 and we discovered stage4 cancer 4mths ago. It has already spread to her liver and a rib. The Dr here put her straight onto Tarceva orally which I understand is just a maintenance drug which is meant to slow the growth of the tumour.If this doesnt work then we just look at pain medication. She is only just having side effects such as peeling hands and a rash on her face but other then that nothing.

With your Mum's disease so advanced you will just need to be there for her and support her in her decisions but make sure you are informed to help her.

I'm sorry I am not much more help but please know you are not alone and my thoughts are with you.
  • Macyyin
    Macyyin Member Posts: 3
    bregem said:

Sorry to hear about your Mum. My Mum is 73 and we discovered stage4 cancer 4mths ago. It has already spread to her liver and a rib. The Dr here put her straight onto Tarceva orally which I understand is just a maintenance drug which is meant to slow the growth of the tumour.If this doesnt work then we just look at pain medication. She is only just having side effects such as peeling hands and a rash on her face but other then that nothing.

With your Mum's disease so advanced you will just need to be there for her and support her in her decisions but make sure you are informed to help her.

I'm sorry I am not much more help but please know you are not alone and my thoughts are with you.

Thanks so much!
    Thank you for sharing the information! I am so sorry to know you mom has lung cancer and I totally understand how you feel. Did your mom Dr. suggest her to take Chemo. therapy or radiotherapy? Do you think Tarceva works on her as you said slow the growth of the tumour. My mom pain is getting better after radiotherapy on spine and brain but she got a lot complication from that, weak, lost appetite etc.

You mom will be in my pray. Thanks again!
  • mimi0825
    mimi0825 Member Posts: 2
    Macyyin said:

Thanks so much!
    Thank you for sharing the information! I am so sorry to know you mom has lung cancer and I totally understand how you feel. Did your mom Dr. suggest her to take Chemo. therapy or radiotherapy? Do you think Tarceva works on her as you said slow the growth of the tumour. My mom pain is getting better after radiotherapy on spine and brain but she got a lot complication from that, weak, lost appetite etc.

You mom will be in my pray. Thanks again!

my mom age 72 on December 8
    my mom age 72 on December 8 was diagossed in November 08 with stage IIIA lung ca, was suppose to have a resection but unable spread to lymphnodes,she immediately was placed on radiation every day for 33 days with once a week chemo.(Tarceva) she did have some appetite issues but was relatively well thru radiation and chemo which ended in April 09. She had 3 mos PET scan checks since April and last week 1 yr. 2 days after first diagnosis was told she has inoperable hilar metastatic lymphoadenopathy to the right lung. I still have a hard time thinking she is sick cuz she never looks sick. She has a positive attitude and is a fiesty woman which i think is making the difference. I think radiation,chemo was a god send for the past year we will wait to see what is ahead for us in the next coming months. Good luck to you and god bless your mom and family