well sh*t

Options
EveningStar2
EveningStar2 Member Posts: 491 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am sitting here at home on 2 liters/min of oxygen. I start out with that so that you know I am basically OK.

Last thursday at work, I was terribly short of breath so I checked my oxygen level and it was 83%--therapeutic is above 90. My coworkers sat me down, put me on oxygen and let me talk myself into going to the hospital. (a different one, I work at one--a whole different story) Long story short: I had multiple pulmonary embolisms probably caused by tamoxifen that I have been taking since April. So after 50+ hours in the hospital, I'm at home but I'll be on O2 for a little while and blood thinners for 6 months. But no tamoxifen! ;-0

Maureen

Comments

• mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Options
    Holy Cow
    Wow Maureen...You are one lucky lady to be around after having multiple pulmonary embolisms. You also have wonderful coworkers who were there for you when you needed them.

Hopefully your oncologist will be able to find something else for you to take instead of tamoxifen.

Rest now and take it easy

Hugs
    LInda T
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to hear you thought quickly!!!
    PLEASE take care of yourself...and, hummmm, well, my heart is acting up...or so I thought...maybe I will ask them to test my oxygen level...I'm on Tamoxifen myself.

Hugs, Kathi
  • EveningStar2
    Options
    KathiM said:

I'm glad to hear you thought quickly!!!
    PLEASE take care of yourself...and, hummmm, well, my heart is acting up...or so I thought...maybe I will ask them to test my oxygen level...I'm on Tamoxifen myself.

Hugs, Kathi

Actually
    I had been short of breath for a week but I finally couldn't take it anymore. Good thing. They called it a PE shower.

Maureen
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    ♥ ♥ ♥
    ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Maureen I am so glad you are okay, that must have been scary. Please take good care of yourself and keep us posted on how you are doing!

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

RE
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    RE said:

♥ ♥ ♥

Maureen I am so glad you are okay, that must have been scary. Please take good care of yourself and keep us posted on how you are doing!

RE

Maureen,
    Very scary. Glad

Maureen,
    Very scary. Glad you were alert to this and that it was caught. My prayers for continued recovery. This was a very frightening side effect.
    Stef
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Oh My!!!! I am very
    Oh My!!!! I am very thankful that 02 exists , and is available to our sisters who need it! I am of course sorry you need it, but I am trying to be Pollyanna-ish about it! And lets hear it for blood thinners while we're at it!
    Two tips for you for the long term---put off any idea of hiring a Sherpa and being the first CSN Sister in Pink (as far as I know, anyway!)to climb the Himalayas, and be careful around knives and razors!

Aside from that....just a big hug to you and I will be extra thankful on Turkey Day that you went to a hospital...any hospital and got your needed treatment!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    wow
    Maureen, that really is crazy! Never heard of such a thing, but of course, we will find so many things on these boards that the docs don't tell us....
    Glad you are feeling better, take care of yourself and make sure you don't do that again!
    =^..^=
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    fauxma said:

Maureen,
    Very scary. Glad

Maureen,
    Very scary. Glad you were alert to this and that it was caught. My prayers for continued recovery. This was a very frightening side effect.
    Stef

Maureen ♥
    OMG, that must have been so scary for you. I am so sorry that you had to go thru that. So happy that you and your coworkers caught it. I will pray that you have a full recovery!

Love, Jeanne ♥
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    cats_toy said:

wow
    Maureen, that really is crazy! Never heard of such a thing, but of course, we will find so many things on these boards that the docs don't tell us....
    Glad you are feeling better, take care of yourself and make sure you don't do that again!
    =^..^=

Yikes
    Maureen, so very sorry. That is another good reason for me not to take tamox. Just glad that you got to the hospital and will be ok now. Feel better soon!

Lex♥
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    Alexis F said:

Yikes
    Maureen, so very sorry. That is another good reason for me not to take tamox. Just glad that you got to the hospital and will be ok now. Feel better soon!

Lex♥

You got treatment on time
    I am very sorry. Please be very careful.
    Hugs
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options
    Wow,
    I'm sorry Maureen..Sorry that you are having to go through all of this! I know this might sound flippant,but I really hope you do feel better soon!
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness you work in a
    Thank goodness you work in a hospital and got treated in time. We're here for you. Take care!
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Options
    Maureen thank God you and
    Maureen thank God you and your coworkers acted quickly. Take it easy.
  • EveningStar2
    Options
    chenheart said:

Oh My!!!! I am very
    Oh My!!!! I am very thankful that 02 exists , and is available to our sisters who need it! I am of course sorry you need it, but I am trying to be Pollyanna-ish about it! And lets hear it for blood thinners while we're at it!
    Two tips for you for the long term---put off any idea of hiring a Sherpa and being the first CSN Sister in Pink (as far as I know, anyway!)to climb the Himalayas, and be careful around knives and razors!

Aside from that....just a big hug to you and I will be extra thankful on Turkey Day that you went to a hospital...any hospital and got your needed treatment!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

giggle
    I don't think I need to worry about mountain climbing but I do *live* at 7300 feet. And I'll try not to be klutz but that's going to be difficult.

Maureen
  • EveningStar2
    Options
    cats_toy said:

wow
    =^..^=

Actually
    Blood clots can be one of the side effects of tamoxifen. But usually its a DVT (deep vein thrombosis) not a pe (pulmonary embolism). The hospitalist's reaction was " you had DCIS, had a lumpectomy, radiation and tamoxifen? Isn't that overkill?" He called my oncologist in Las Vegas (I now live in NM) and they agreed that the tamoxifen needed to go. No argument from me. BTW, this is a good argument for having all those phone numbers in your phone--I was able to give it to him.

Maureen
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options

Actually
    Blood clots can be one of the side effects of tamoxifen. But usually its a DVT (deep vein thrombosis) not a pe (pulmonary embolism). The hospitalist's reaction was " you had DCIS, had a lumpectomy, radiation and tamoxifen? Isn't that overkill?" He called my oncologist in Las Vegas (I now live in NM) and they agreed that the tamoxifen needed to go. No argument from me. BTW, this is a good argument for having all those phone numbers in your phone--I was able to give it to him.

Maureen

Sorry you had a problem but
    Sorry you had a problem but WOW your doctor CALLED your old doctor? I'm so impressed.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    natly15 said:

Maureen thank God you and
    Maureen thank God you and your coworkers acted quickly. Take it easy.

Just glad that you are ok
    Just glad that you are ok now and that you know what it is and what caused it.

HUGS
  • EveningStar2
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

Sorry you had a problem but
    Sorry you had a problem but WOW your doctor CALLED your old doctor? I'm so impressed.

yep
    The doctor in the hospital is a hospitalist i.e. I'd never seen him before in my life. But I povided the number and he called my oncologist and that's what they decided. I didn't argue--aren't you proud of me? ;-)
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Options
    I'm Glad
    I am glad that you are alright. Take it easy and get pletty of rest.

Take care,

Pat
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    aztec45 said:

I'm Glad
    I am glad that you are alright. Take it easy and get pletty of rest.

Take care,

Pat

Happy that you are ok now
    Happy that you are ok now Maureen. That darn tamox grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Sue :)