Newly Diagnosed

Options
2»

Comments

• brenda247
    brenda247 Member Posts: 124
    Options
    early
    glad to hear that you caught it early.. i have been on here for bout 6 months and these people are just wonderful.. BE STRONG!! we are here for you!!

prayers & hugs going your way!!
  • blazytracy
    blazytracy Member Posts: 157
    Options
    Welcome Maize!
    You are definitely not alone on this wonderful site! Many, many wonderful girls here to help you through every aspect of your treatment..I just joined not long ago, had my masectomy and have just finished my first chemo! I was diagnosed with Grade II, Stage III Metastatic with 11 lymph nodes malignant.

I am no expert yet for sure, but what has helped me is getting the book Dr. Susan Love's "The Breast Book" It answers every question that you may have! Serious! I was needing instant information and that book really helped me out alot! Check it out..

Keep us updated and we will help you through as much as we can for sure. My prayers are with you and everyone else here on this site. We are all in this together..

Tracy
  • Maize
    Maize Member Posts: 76
    Options
    always said:

welcome
    Mary,

You have found the best of resources. The waiting is rough. But there is nothing in this process you can't get through. You have family and freinds. You have this board and I guarantee the sisters here can hold you up, they are awesome. I wish you didn't need to be here...but I am glad you found it. I was told earyl on to read and not feel like I needed to respond. There are days when reading is all we can do. Ask questions, come often, keep people informed- the answers will come. Make tons of notes and write down everything the onc tells you. Best wishes and prayers for patience and peace while you await the beginning of this journey.

becky

Thanks!
    I want to respond, but you are right. Sometimes, all you can do is read and ponder. Everyone has been so good to me.

Mary
  • Maize
    Options
    laurissa said:

Hi Maize
    The waiting is the hardest part. I know you'll be ok. It's very scary at first. I'm on chemo now then a lumpectomy. My tumors cannot be felt anymore after 3 treatments, I'm relieved about that, they were 3 cm. Alot can be done about bc nowdays. Prayers to you during this time.

Good news for you!
    I am glad to hear positive news. They believe mine is qpprox. 1.6 centimeter. ?The MRI will tell more.

Thank you are I will keep each of you in my prayers.

Maize or Mary:)
  • Maize
    Options
    laurissa said:

Hi Maize
    The waiting is the hardest part. I know you'll be ok. It's very scary at first. I'm on chemo now then a lumpectomy. My tumors cannot be felt anymore after 3 treatments, I'm relieved about that, they were 3 cm. Alot can be done about bc nowdays. Prayers to you during this time.

Good news for you!
    I am glad to hear positive news. They believe mine is qpprox. 1.6 centimeter. ?The MRI will tell more.

Thank you are I will keep each of you in my prayers.

Maize or Mary:)
  • Maize
    Options
    brenda247 said:

early
    glad to hear that you caught it early.. i have been on here for bout 6 months and these people are just wonderful.. BE STRONG!! we are here for you!!

prayers & hugs going your way!!

Thanks!
    I am blessed to have found this site.
  • Maize
    Options

Welcome Maize!
    You are definitely not alone on this wonderful site! Many, many wonderful girls here to help you through every aspect of your treatment..I just joined not long ago, had my masectomy and have just finished my first chemo! I was diagnosed with Grade II, Stage III Metastatic with 11 lymph nodes malignant.

I am no expert yet for sure, but what has helped me is getting the book Dr. Susan Love's "The Breast Book" It answers every question that you may have! Serious! I was needing instant information and that book really helped me out alot! Check it out..

Keep us updated and we will help you through as much as we can for sure. My prayers are with you and everyone else here on this site. We are all in this together..

Tracy

I will.
    Thank you, I will go to the book store tomorrow and pick it up.

MARY
  • LC815
    LC815 Member Posts: 155
    Options
    Maize said:

I will.
    Thank you, I will go to the book store tomorrow and pick it up.

MARY

Book
    I LOVED Barbara Delinsky's book "Uplift: Secrets from the Sisterhood of Breast Cancer Survivors" (or something close to that). It's a book with insight and hints -- kind of like this site!! Delinsky is a fiction writer that battled breast cancer and has solicited input from thousands of BC survivors LIKE US.

Read with hope . . .
    Linad
  • Taina
    Taina Member Posts: 166
    Options
    welcome
    Hi, Maize.
    I was Dx in June 2009, had a lumpectomy, 4 chemo tx's, radiation #30 which will end Friday and will start sometime next month taking Tamoxifen.
    This is a great place to communicate with others that know exactly how we feel and things others have gone thru. And if you don't want to share all you need is to read the comments from others. While i was going thru surgery and chemo tx's i was not able to sleep much so this was great...i read and read...
    ***set up your appt and make sure you take someone with you***
    keep us updated and if there anything i can help let me know...
    I will be praying for you and your family.
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Maize said:

Thanks to everyone!!!
    Well, I went to the doctor yesterday and he drew lines on my breast and discussed the different options:) He scheduled an appointment with an oncologist/radiologist for a consult. It is not until 11/30. I will have an MRI Thursday.

Cindy, you are right. I am surprised by the waiting. I was ready to get it over with. Now someone has me fearing radiation. I was told it could damage my heart and other organs...The doctor is concerned because my lump is not shaped like a lump...the MRI should give more definitive information----I pray. Family and friends have been wonderful. My son is scared to death. I worry about him more than myself. It is 31, but an unmarried, only child.

I thank God I found this place and have each of you to support me and share your stories. I believe the shock is wearing off and the fear is rising.

I have not signed in in a few days. I read each comment, but did not comment on them individually. You guys mean a lot to me.

Mary

I had a similar story about radiation
    A dear aunt of mine had radiation for DCIS many years ago and sent me a frightening e-mail about the possible side effects, including heart damage.

One thing I learned from reading and joining in the discussions here is that they are making very rapid advances in treatments to reduce some of the side effects and other risks that earlier patients suffered.

When I finally met with my radiation oncologist on Tuesday, he told me that the angle they will use for my radiation will not affect my heart at all, although my right lung will get a bit of it. They will monitor, and he said that most of the side effects to my lungs should be temporary.

I know you're still absorbing so much right now, so try not to get too worried or upset if you hear scary stories. If you do get scared, as we all do, you can always come here to check facts or just vent with people who really understand.

Take care,
    Cindy
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181
    Options
    Welcome Maize.
    Hi,I am sorry about your Dignoises.But you came to the right place.I know how you feel,your mind is probley racing and your scared.The sisters on this site are wonderful.I don,t know what I would do without this sight.I will Pray for you,hang in their.It will be ok.Please feel welcome to this sight.Please keep us posted on how things are going.Love and Prayers.(Pat).
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    ppurdin said:

Welcome Maize.
    Hi,I am sorry about your Dignoises.But you came to the right place.I know how you feel,your mind is probley racing and your scared.The sisters on this site are wonderful.I don,t know what I would do without this sight.I will Pray for you,hang in their.It will be ok.Please feel welcome to this sight.Please keep us posted on how things are going.Love and Prayers.(Pat).

Hi Maize
    Sorry you have to

Hi Maize

Sorry you have to join this club, but you're in good hands. I had a lumpectomy 2+cm and look fine. I agree the waiting was the hardest part. I called it my "world of I don't know". Another great website that helped me is www.thecancercrusade.com. It's got great tips on getting through this journey. Also has The Survivor Movie. I watch it a lot.

Sher
  • Angel_4_James
    Angel_4_James Member Posts: 73
    Options
    Me too.............
    Hi Mazie,

I have just gone thought this too. Oct. 13th I had a biopsy done and the 14th told I had cancer. Mine was caught early too, it was about 2cm. Everything went really fast for me. I had a lumpectomy on the 29th of Oct. With good results and qucik healing. So I will be praying that you recieve a qucik trun around too.

Because of the cancer in my family I will be going through the chemo starting in Jan sometime and then the radiation following that. So just be prepared mentally for what the Doctors will tell you and pray that they will be guided to by God to do what is needed for YOUR body.

God bless,
    Angel_4_James
  • Maize
    Options

I had a similar story about radiation
    A dear aunt of mine had radiation for DCIS many years ago and sent me a frightening e-mail about the possible side effects, including heart damage.

One thing I learned from reading and joining in the discussions here is that they are making very rapid advances in treatments to reduce some of the side effects and other risks that earlier patients suffered.

When I finally met with my radiation oncologist on Tuesday, he told me that the angle they will use for my radiation will not affect my heart at all, although my right lung will get a bit of it. They will monitor, and he said that most of the side effects to my lungs should be temporary.

I know you're still absorbing so much right now, so try not to get too worried or upset if you hear scary stories. If you do get scared, as we all do, you can always come here to check facts or just vent with people who really understand.

Take care,
    Cindy

Cindy
    Thank you so much! I will have the same talk with my radiation oncologist. This board is so valuable.

Thanks and God Bless,

Maize
  • Maize
    Options
    LC815 said:

Book
    I LOVED Barbara Delinsky's book "Uplift: Secrets from the Sisterhood of Breast Cancer Survivors" (or something close to that). It's a book with insight and hints -- kind of like this site!! Delinsky is a fiction writer that battled breast cancer and has solicited input from thousands of BC survivors LIKE US.

Read with hope . . .
    Linad

Thanks, Linda, I will add it
    Thanks, Linda, I will add it to my list and look for it tomorrow.
  • Maize
    Options
    Taina said:

welcome
    Hi, Maize.
    I was Dx in June 2009, had a lumpectomy, 4 chemo tx's, radiation #30 which will end Friday and will start sometime next month taking Tamoxifen.
    This is a great place to communicate with others that know exactly how we feel and things others have gone thru. And if you don't want to share all you need is to read the comments from others. While i was going thru surgery and chemo tx's i was not able to sleep much so this was great...i read and read...
    ***set up your appt and make sure you take someone with you***
    keep us updated and if there anything i can help let me know...
    I will be praying for you and your family.

Thank you, Taina

Thank you, Taina
  • Maize
    Options
    ppurdin said:

Welcome Maize.

I will. Thank you1

I will. Thank you1
  • Maize
    Options

Me too.............
    Hi Mazie,

I have just gone thought this too. Oct. 13th I had a biopsy done and the 14th told I had cancer. Mine was caught early too, it was about 2cm. Everything went really fast for me. I had a lumpectomy on the 29th of Oct. With good results and qucik healing. So I will be praying that you recieve a qucik trun around too.

Because of the cancer in my family I will be going through the chemo starting in Jan sometime and then the radiation following that. So just be prepared mentally for what the Doctors will tell you and pray that they will be guided to by God to do what is needed for YOUR body.

God bless,
    Angel_4_James

I am glad you are healing
    I am glad you are healing well. Our stories are similar. Thanks for sharing...It helps to prepare me a uch as one can be prepared for something like this.

Thanks, God's blessings to nyou.

Maize