additional cancers??????????

Options
lizzie17
lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Am I overly scared about having a recurrence? Made one year of survival, and now
going this week for some testing!! Is there ever a time we can relax, and not worry?

Comments

• Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Options
    there is a great thread on
    there is a great thread on here, I think started by Kylez, asking, "Is Anyone Still Scared." Go back and read it ... there is some great insight on there. I'll try to find it and bump it up for you.

Fear is something we all deal with ... and I think the first year after treatment is the worst. Hopefully, it subsides. I was diagnosed in August of this year and I've had to make a conscious effort to not be afraid ... it was paralyzing every aspect of my life. Somedays I'm pretty good ... other days are a struggle. I'm sure when my first year mammo comes around ... it is going to come back.

Now these feelings of fear are normal and it is something we all struggle with. Hang in there! Will pray for good reports. Please keep us posted on how things turn out.

[[[hugs]]]
    dh
  • lizzie17
    Options

there is a great thread on
    there is a great thread on here, I think started by Kylez, asking, "Is Anyone Still Scared." Go back and read it ... there is some great insight on there. I'll try to find it and bump it up for you.

Fear is something we all deal with ... and I think the first year after treatment is the worst. Hopefully, it subsides. I was diagnosed in August of this year and I've had to make a conscious effort to not be afraid ... it was paralyzing every aspect of my life. Somedays I'm pretty good ... other days are a struggle. I'm sure when my first year mammo comes around ... it is going to come back.

Now these feelings of fear are normal and it is something we all struggle with. Hang in there! Will pray for good reports. Please keep us posted on how things turn out.

[[[hugs]]]
    dh

still scared?
    Thank you for sharing things I feel---especially "it was paralyzing every aspect of my life"
    Wow....that is so true, and that is what I am trying to change. It is so difficult. You sound like you are dealing as well as possible. And thank you for prayers. I also hope and pray for you.......and thanks for the thread suggestion, I will look for it.
  • Lymph23
    Lymph23 Member Posts: 23
    Options
    No I think its natural
    No I think most probably that is the one thing that we probably all have in common worrying about a recurrence. I have now made the six year survival rate, can't say that I don't worry when it comes round to mammograms that seems to go with the terrortary. But as time goes on I have found that I am more relaxed and don't worry about it all the time. Also that every little pain or twinge is not such a worry I realise that this is just aches and pains of normal life. Congrats for reaching the one year thoughts are with you.
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Options
    No

No
  • lizzie17
    Options
    meena1 said:

No

No

no
    Well, I guess if I just accept that fact, I will be better off. And just deal with it.
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options
    lizzie17 said:

no
    Well, I guess if I just accept that fact, I will be better off. And just deal with it.

I am
    Scared, 18 months out of treatment................I am scared shitless too!
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Options
    Lizzie, it is very hard not
    Lizzie, it is very hard not to worry. Eventually time does help with it. I am a worry wort to begin with so probably not a good one to give advice.

Cancer does change the way we look at things. It does get better though. I have read that many start to worry less by year 2 but everyone is different. Try to think positive and focus on the joys in your life. I do know that having had breast cancer made me see how short life truly is and that we need to enjoy it while we can. Cancer or not, its over in a blink.

We have to enjoy and savor everyday. The heck with worrying! Now if only I could take my own advice!
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options
    lizzie
    your feelings are normal.
    I guess something that really boils me sometimes is when I hear someone say-well,you should just be happy to be alive and not worry about that!My rads onc just told me that not too long ago-you know,I think highly of the man and really like him-but unless you've been in my shoes,please don't tell me that! Okay,I'll get off my "rant box"!! lizzie,I can honestly say that I've gotten to the point where I am a little over 2 years a survivor and I am enjoying life without thinking about cancer at least 60% of the time if not more. A year ago,I never thought I would be able to say it,but it's true!
  • lizzie17
    Options
    Eil4186 said:

Lizzie, it is very hard not
    Lizzie, it is very hard not to worry. Eventually time does help with it. I am a worry wort to begin with so probably not a good one to give advice.

Cancer does change the way we look at things. It does get better though. I have read that many start to worry less by year 2 but everyone is different. Try to think positive and focus on the joys in your life. I do know that having had breast cancer made me see how short life truly is and that we need to enjoy it while we can. Cancer or not, its over in a blink.

We have to enjoy and savor everyday. The heck with worrying! Now if only I could take my own advice!

it is difficult
    Thank you for your reply. I am trying to think positive, but I always feel like I go through my day, look happy, but on the inside I am not. I think the two tests this Wednesday have set me back a bit because right when I thought things were looking better...wham!!
  • lizzie17
    Options

lizzie
    your feelings are normal.
    I guess something that really boils me sometimes is when I hear someone say-well,you should just be happy to be alive and not worry about that!My rads onc just told me that not too long ago-you know,I think highly of the man and really like him-but unless you've been in my shoes,please don't tell me that! Okay,I'll get off my "rant box"!! lizzie,I can honestly say that I've gotten to the point where I am a little over 2 years a survivor and I am enjoying life without thinking about cancer at least 60% of the time if not more. A year ago,I never thought I would be able to say it,but it's true!

thanks
    Good! thank you for your thoughts. It is difficult in our situation to always remember to count our blessings. I look forward to the 2 year mark!