Starting chemo the week after Thanksgiving

Options
kookierutt
kookierutt Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have to do a P.E.T. scan this Tuseday and the Oncologist will talk with me on Friday about the results. I done the mascetomy and good with that just the chemo is scaring me. What is the first treatment like?

Comments

• elizarose
    elizarose Member Posts: 124
    Options
    I guess it's a little
    I guess it's a little different for everyone so I can just give you my experience. My hospital has a large area divided by by curtains, each area has 2 chairs and a tv. We could recline and watch tv, read a book, put puzzles together, eat...whatever while getting our treatments. Before each of my treatments they drew blood and I had to wait about 30 minutes for them to get the results before they would start treatment. They had warm blankets, drinks and snacks or we could bring food.
    I was nervous mostly about how I would react to the drugs. The first treatment took longer than the rest because they gave it slowly to see how I would do. I know you'll be scared and nervous and that's ok, everyone is. Don't be afraid to tell the nurses and doctors how you feel and ask all the questions you want.
  • chipoo
    chipoo Member Posts: 32
    Options
    elizarose said:

I guess it's a little
    I guess it's a little different for everyone so I can just give you my experience. My hospital has a large area divided by by curtains, each area has 2 chairs and a tv. We could recline and watch tv, read a book, put puzzles together, eat...whatever while getting our treatments. Before each of my treatments they drew blood and I had to wait about 30 minutes for them to get the results before they would start treatment. They had warm blankets, drinks and snacks or we could bring food.
    I was nervous mostly about how I would react to the drugs. The first treatment took longer than the rest because they gave it slowly to see how I would do. I know you'll be scared and nervous and that's ok, everyone is. Don't be afraid to tell the nurses and doctors how you feel and ask all the questions you want.

Just had my first chemo. treatment last Friday
    I regret to say that I spent most of last week needlessly worrying about my first chemo treatment. What would it be like? How would my body react? etc. The first thing that I found very helpful is that the oncologist prescribed something that I could take 1 hour before my treatment to help calm my nerves. I met with the oncologist who answered all of my questions and then gave me a blood test. I then went to the treatment center where their goal is to make you as comfortable as possible. The actual iv treatment took a while (but I am having 3 different medications for my chemo.) during that time I watched tv and ate snacks and talked to people. The atmoshpere was very relaxing and I was pleasantly surprised to find that all of the worry I did before hand was for not. Good luck!
  • Sam726
    Sam726 Member Posts: 233
    Options
    chipoo said:

Just had my first chemo. treatment last Friday
    I regret to say that I spent most of last week needlessly worrying about my first chemo treatment. What would it be like? How would my body react? etc. The first thing that I found very helpful is that the oncologist prescribed something that I could take 1 hour before my treatment to help calm my nerves. I met with the oncologist who answered all of my questions and then gave me a blood test. I then went to the treatment center where their goal is to make you as comfortable as possible. The actual iv treatment took a while (but I am having 3 different medications for my chemo.) during that time I watched tv and ate snacks and talked to people. The atmoshpere was very relaxing and I was pleasantly surprised to find that all of the worry I did before hand was for not. Good luck!

I remember my first treatment
    My heart was gonna pop out of my chest, lol. I had to get blood drawn, they send results to the doc, see him for exam and questions and blood results, etc and then to the "chair" as I call it. No, its not bad...I actually enjoy the visits, its very social, about 6 people or so to a pod and they have people always coming in and out. Nurses are so sweet and fun...I always bring my laptop, cell phone, stuff to do. My treatments take about 4 hours, this includes premeds, and chemo. Remember to drink lots of water starting days prior to treatment, during and after treatment. This helps flush your system...and not that anyone wants to talk about it but I would recommend a stool softener, sooner than later! VERY common side effect I learned about the hard way. If you have questions, all the women on here are amazing. They have been thru it all, and all kinds of treatments....They have been a real help to me and I hope to be able to pass on my knowledge to chemo newbies like yourself! Good luck and stay strong sister
    Sam