Overachieving Rad Girl -- would appreciate advice from Rad Graduates!

Options
2»

Comments

• Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Thank moo!
    Thank moo (from my soft-as-a-cow's-behind self) for all the great advice! I really do feel better having a little more guidance about how to approach this, what to watch for, etc.

There was a thread here several months ago where many of you recommended products that you used during rads -- again, Overachiever Girl here, I promptly put all your recommendations in my drugstore.com shopping list, bought many of them before I even started rads, and then took them with me when I met with the nurse.

So, Claudia, thanks to you, when she started talking about what soap to use, I actually whipped out your recommended Aveeno, and said, "How about this?" You'll be happy to know that you're Nurse Junnie Approved!

BTW, I should mention that I'm actually having both breasts radiated, as I had lumpectomies on both sides. I guess this is somewhat rare, as the "both breasts" thing has been nothing but trouble, logistically speaking.

My first treatment had to be rescheduled when the scheduler realized she hadn't allotted enough time: "Oh, I assumed it was only one breast." And I have what I'm calling "the demilitarized zone" marked down the center of my chest, so that they don't overlap the radiation. I really hope that keeping my breasts is worth all this....

Traci

They told me that I could
    They told me that I could use cornstarch, too, but I couldn't figure out how to use it along with the lotion. I used lotion in the morn., after rads in the rad room, & at night.
    I thought the cornstarch would make a big mess when used with the lotion& then I would have to scrub (ouch!) to get it off. The cream the nurse gave me was mostly aloe. Good luck with your rads!
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Hi, Traci, are we having fun
    Hi, Traci, are we having fun yet?? I just read all the responses and it is amazing that every radiation oncologist seems to be different as to what type of cream to use. Mine recommended only 100% aloe. I get my radiaiation at 10:20 every morning so I don't use any type of lotion after my morning shower. Once my radiation is over, I do put on some aloe lotion when changing back into my clothes. I also put some on at night. I've only had 7 treatments so I haven't noticed anything yet. Good luck to you and keep us updated on your treatment and how it's going.
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

Hi, Traci, are we having fun
    Hi, Traci, are we having fun yet?? I just read all the responses and it is amazing that every radiation oncologist seems to be different as to what type of cream to use. Mine recommended only 100% aloe. I get my radiaiation at 10:20 every morning so I don't use any type of lotion after my morning shower. Once my radiation is over, I do put on some aloe lotion when changing back into my clothes. I also put some on at night. I've only had 7 treatments so I haven't noticed anything yet. Good luck to you and keep us updated on your treatment and how it's going.

I put my clear aloe on at
    I put my clear aloe on at bedtime. If I remember I do it as soon as I get home after RADs, but today was nuts. I needed some blood tests, stool sample, and tomorrow X-Rays of my abdomen. All because of having to take CIPRO for a UTI after my hernia surgery. I have had 16 treatments, my chest above my boob is looking like it does in summer, just a bit of color, not burned. Sooo, I wonder if it will by weeks end, I'll of had 20 then. then only 10 to go!
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    lanie940 said:

I put my clear aloe on at
    I put my clear aloe on at bedtime. If I remember I do it as soon as I get home after RADs, but today was nuts. I needed some blood tests, stool sample, and tomorrow X-Rays of my abdomen. All because of having to take CIPRO for a UTI after my hernia surgery. I have had 16 treatments, my chest above my boob is looking like it does in summer, just a bit of color, not burned. Sooo, I wonder if it will by weeks end, I'll of had 20 then. then only 10 to go!

The Great Cornstarch Mystery -- SOLVED!
    So I had my weekly visit with the radiation oncologist today, and asked him to get more specific about all this lotion/cornstarch business. Rules dam*it, I need rules, guidelines, direction! Doesn't he know I'm an overachiever?!? :-)

He told me not to use the lotion under my breasts, as that area's too prone to moisture already, and the object is to keep everything dry. I'm supposed to use the lotions everywhere else on/around the breasts, and the cornstarch underneath.

Ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh!

I've actually been using the cornstarch all over my underarm/breast area in the morning after letting the Udderly Smooth soak in a little, and it's like a really nice, silky, unscented body powder. And you can use it to thicken gravy, too! Not bad for $1.19! :-)

Traci
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

The Great Cornstarch Mystery -- SOLVED!
    So I had my weekly visit with the radiation oncologist today, and asked him to get more specific about all this lotion/cornstarch business. Rules dam*it, I need rules, guidelines, direction! Doesn't he know I'm an overachiever?!? :-)

He told me not to use the lotion under my breasts, as that area's too prone to moisture already, and the object is to keep everything dry. I'm supposed to use the lotions everywhere else on/around the breasts, and the cornstarch underneath.

Ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh!

I've actually been using the cornstarch all over my underarm/breast area in the morning after letting the Udderly Smooth soak in a little, and it's like a really nice, silky, unscented body powder. And you can use it to thicken gravy, too! Not bad for $1.19! :-)

Traci

I thought your method seemed
    I thought your method seemed just fine but it will be easier to lotion everything but under the breasts and to cornstarch them. And in my head I pictured you using the lotion/cornstarch mixture to thicken the gravy. LOL I have got to read these posts more carefully. What a daft sod I am.
    Stef
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options
    gRADuates
    gRADuates is what we oldtimers are. When I started to itch, I was switched by my rad onc from Aquaphor to Regencare HA. It's aloe vera with lidocaine and it worked great.
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Options
    chenheart said:

You mentioned about
    You mentioned about showering...here is a BIG helpful hint for you! Your skin will get a cumulative burn, even if you don't see it, your skin will absolutely be affected. You need to treat it with extra TLC~ and this is how I did just that during my radiation therapy. Get yourself the softest natural sponge you can find, and use an unscented body wash; I used, and still use Aveeno , as it is both unscented and made with colloidal oatmeal which is very soothing. NEVER rub your radiated side in the shower!Saturate the natural sponge with plenty of wataer, add the Aveeno and make bubbles~ squeeze it gently over the radiated side, never letting the sponge touch your skin. The softer the sponge the "squishier" it will be and more water/Aveeno receptive. Pat yourself dry and then goop on the lotion of choice!

Your skin may also get itchy as the rads progress~ if so, ask your Dr for a Prescription for hydrocortisone cream, the OTC varieties are not strong enough to relieve the itch.

Hugs,
    C♥

Wow Chen great info. I will
    Wow Chen great info. I will not start rads till perhaps April of 2010. I'm adding this to favorites. Thank you Traci and all the ladies for their input. Traci now about that cornstarch and gravy, please follow the guidelines, and please dont use the gravy although it could smell better than that new fragrance of udder grease and cornstarch.