RENEWING OUR INNER SELVES

Options
2»

Comments

• mickeymom
    mickeymom Member Posts: 117
    Options
    virtual visits
    I think I knew other people felt that way about national parks, but you really explained so well how I feel about my connection. I grew up in Wyoming and our house was just a couple miles outside Grand Teton National Park and 50 miles south of Yellowstone. My great-grandfather homesteaded on land that is now part of Grand Teton. I have always felt a deep connection to those mountains and all the beautiful wilderness that is in Yellowstone.

We now live in Washington State and unfortunatly I don't get to visit those places very often anymore. I must still feel the need to connect somehow, because part of my daily routine for sometime now has included looking at the webcameras located in Grand Teton, Old Faithful and some of the other parts of Yellowstone. It has always gives me a sense of calmness to know that the wilderness of those places is still there. Like I just need to check in everyday. It reminds me of my childhood and the incredible time we spent in those places. Somehow just knowing that it is still there and remembering what I feel like when I am there helps me. Even if it is only a virtual visit!
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    I know just what you mean, I take my dog Tootsie for a run in God's magestic badlands of Montana, nothing fills my heart with so much peace.
    love and Hugs, jckie
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    With all nature,
    I am always struck with the enormity of it, compared to little old me....

It calms my fears, and takes me to a very soft and gentle place...

Thanks for reminding me of this...I remember last winter, in Holland, the day was all white (snow and ice) and blue (the sky...an amazing color...) My heart hurt it was so beautiful and so perfect!

Hugs, Kathi
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    As you well know, I am
    As you well know, I am almost never at a loss for words....but your post left me speechless. I sat back reflecting on places and aromas, textures, and sounds. I exhaled deeply and felt very satisfied inwardly. And I thank YOU for that RE~ you made me aware of the beauty of our special places and just why they affect us the way they do.

Hugs,
    C♥
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    As you well know, I am
    I really really really hate double posts! LOL
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    mickeymom said:

virtual visits
    I think I knew other people felt that way about national parks, but you really explained so well how I feel about my connection. I grew up in Wyoming and our house was just a couple miles outside Grand Teton National Park and 50 miles south of Yellowstone. My great-grandfather homesteaded on land that is now part of Grand Teton. I have always felt a deep connection to those mountains and all the beautiful wilderness that is in Yellowstone.

We now live in Washington State and unfortunatly I don't get to visit those places very often anymore. I must still feel the need to connect somehow, because part of my daily routine for sometime now has included looking at the webcameras located in Grand Teton, Old Faithful and some of the other parts of Yellowstone. It has always gives me a sense of calmness to know that the wilderness of those places is still there. Like I just need to check in everyday. It reminds me of my childhood and the incredible time we spent in those places. Somehow just knowing that it is still there and remembering what I feel like when I am there helps me. Even if it is only a virtual visit!

YELLOWSTONE
    I do not know why my posts are not showing up under the original post but I shall try again. Mickeymom we visited Yellowstone in 95 before I had cancer, we briefly visited the Tetons (we will revisit the Tetons I promise). My Guy and I are going to Yellowstone this June with his brother to introduce his girl friend and grandson to its beauty. I am hoping my daughter and her family and my son and his girl friend will also be able to go as well. I am a shutter bug so I will be posting pix in June. I truly do LOVE our National parks.

Hugs,

RE
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    Options
    Great post
    RE,

That was a great post. One thing I've noticed about myself is that for a long time it was hard for me to see the colors and textures in nature. Not literally hard for me to see, but everything looked kind of dull. I drive through the country on my way to and from work each day past farm fields of corn, soy and pumpkins. I see cows, horses, cranes, deer, hawks, ducks, pheasants and wild turkeys. I see trees, creeks, tractors, farm equipment, farm houses, barns and other buildings. I was so caught up in the day to day work/home routine that I didn't "see" these things anymore.

After my diagnosis with bc I drove to work and I saw everything - the colors, the textures of the fields, the many animals that live near the roads, the clouds and the different colors in the sky. It was like I needed to notice those things and not take them for granted as I had in the past (like my life).
  • RE
    Options
    Wolfi said:

Great post
    RE,

That was a great post. One thing I've noticed about myself is that for a long time it was hard for me to see the colors and textures in nature. Not literally hard for me to see, but everything looked kind of dull. I drive through the country on my way to and from work each day past farm fields of corn, soy and pumpkins. I see cows, horses, cranes, deer, hawks, ducks, pheasants and wild turkeys. I see trees, creeks, tractors, farm equipment, farm houses, barns and other buildings. I was so caught up in the day to day work/home routine that I didn't "see" these things anymore.

After my diagnosis with bc I drove to work and I saw everything - the colors, the textures of the fields, the many animals that live near the roads, the clouds and the different colors in the sky. It was like I needed to notice those things and not take them for granted as I had in the past (like my life).

So true!
    Wolfi, thank you I am glad you enjoyed the post it was an easy one to write as it was coming straight from the heart. I have noticed that I appreciate things more as well, not only that but my children do too. My daughter now calls her children outside to see a pink sky or the sand cranes as they fly over our home. My son will call me to tell he saw a beautiful rainbow etc. This cancer seems to have heightened our awareness of all that is around us.
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    Options
    RE said:

So true!
    Wolfi, thank you I am glad you enjoyed the post it was an easy one to write as it was coming straight from the heart. I have noticed that I appreciate things more as well, not only that but my children do too. My daughter now calls her children outside to see a pink sky or the sand cranes as they fly over our home. My son will call me to tell he saw a beautiful rainbow etc. This cancer seems to have heightened our awareness of all that is around us.

When I need to get away for a little while I just walk out into our backyard. Seems like I am closest to God in my garden. There I can pray, meditate, reflect, work out my thoughts, express my frustrations, emotions and find peace; and no one around to break the quiet of the moment. A few years ago we were blessed to find our sanctuary in a rural area but still close to the city. We set about to make it our own "special place" and over the years our yard has grown more beautiful and is thriving. I've posted pics of our yard on my expressions page. Our children and grandchildren love to visit us and they enjoy all the benefits too. We also enjoy being at the ocean off season. We walk for miles, watching the ebb and flow, tossing shells back, catching the breeze and finally just sitting on the beach while the last rays of sunshine fade into the velvet evening. It's a glorious time for us when we can take the time to just enjoy creation all around and marvel at all the beautiful things. Even if our body has been imprisoned in some way, our minds can still soar!
  • RE
    Options
    Sunrae said:

When I need to get away for a little while I just walk out into our backyard. Seems like I am closest to God in my garden. There I can pray, meditate, reflect, work out my thoughts, express my frustrations, emotions and find peace; and no one around to break the quiet of the moment. A few years ago we were blessed to find our sanctuary in a rural area but still close to the city. We set about to make it our own "special place" and over the years our yard has grown more beautiful and is thriving. I've posted pics of our yard on my expressions page. Our children and grandchildren love to visit us and they enjoy all the benefits too. We also enjoy being at the ocean off season. We walk for miles, watching the ebb and flow, tossing shells back, catching the breeze and finally just sitting on the beach while the last rays of sunshine fade into the velvet evening. It's a glorious time for us when we can take the time to just enjoy creation all around and marvel at all the beautiful things. Even if our body has been imprisoned in some way, our minds can still soar!

:-)
    Sunrae I did see your posts on the expressions page your yard is beyond lovely it is a most serene place indeed. I certainly can see how you could walk out there and relax. You are right too when you say our minds can still soar. Thank you for sharing your beautiful grounds with us.

RE
  • jennytwist
    jennytwist Member Posts: 896
    Options
    RE said:

:-)
    Sunrae I did see your posts on the expressions page your yard is beyond lovely it is a most serene place indeed. I certainly can see how you could walk out there and relax. You are right too when you say our minds can still soar. Thank you for sharing your beautiful grounds with us.

RE

Rocky Mountains
    I'm so lucky to be able to look west and see the mountains - everyday on my drive into work I look along the range and am so thankful there is such beauty all around! I'm truely blessed to be here. Growing up in the mid west, I didn't see my first mountain until I was 12 or 13. I've been here for almost 33 years now and still love it. Of course when I go home - the Iowa cornfields are just as lovely. Life is good!
    -thanks for all the sharing your post prompted.
    -Jenny
  • RE
    Options
    chenheart said:

As you well know, I am
    As you well know, I am almost never at a loss for words....but your post left me speechless. I sat back reflecting on places and aromas, textures, and sounds. I exhaled deeply and felt very satisfied inwardly. And I thank YOU for that RE~ you made me aware of the beauty of our special places and just why they affect us the way they do.

Hugs,
    C♥

AWWWW
    You are too kind Claudia. By the way I read somewhere that the next time you are in Sacramento you would like to meet with Stef and I, sounds great to me!

RE