newbie here

Options
girls4444
girls4444 Member Posts: 34
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi, I found a lump about 3 weeks ago and things have moved very quickly since then. I am looking for some place to turn for questions and support, my family and friends are very support but it is hard to talk to them. I have a question about the catheter that was put in me on monday, it has one tube running from it, can they do chemo and drawn blood when you only have one tube or should the doctor have put in two tubes. Thanks betty

Comments

• tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    confused
    I'm not sure what you mean when you say catheter. Do you mean you had a port installed ... probably in your upper chest?

hugs.
    teena
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    tgf said:

confused
    I'm not sure what you mean when you say catheter. Do you mean you had a port installed ... probably in your upper chest?

hugs.
    teena

I am confused too. Tell us
    I am confused too. Tell us a little more please?

Leeza
  • Deb1969
    Deb1969 Member Posts: 165
    Options
    jnl said:

I am confused too. Tell us
    I am confused too. Tell us a little more please?

Leeza

Im confused also. Do you
    Im confused also. Do you have a PICC line?
    Deb
  • Fran1947
    Fran1947 Member Posts: 72
    Options
    Catheter
    Hi Betty,

If it is a Picc line in your arm - I believe they can draw blood and do chemo in the same line. Mine had two ends, but I believe it was just one tube. They cleaned it and changed the end things every week. I used tube socks to cover it up and keep it clean in between - you just cut off the toes of the sock & pull it up. It was very convenient and I never had any problems with it. And NO needle sticks.

This is a great place to bring all your questions, concerns, etc - and also just to vent! We have all been there & we know what you are going through. You will find a lot of courageous, caring women here to support you along the way.

Hugs,

Fran
  • girls4444
    Options
    Fran1947 said:

Catheter
    Hi Betty,

If it is a Picc line in your arm - I believe they can draw blood and do chemo in the same line. Mine had two ends, but I believe it was just one tube. They cleaned it and changed the end things every week. I used tube socks to cover it up and keep it clean in between - you just cut off the toes of the sock & pull it up. It was very convenient and I never had any problems with it. And NO needle sticks.

This is a great place to bring all your questions, concerns, etc - and also just to vent! We have all been there & we know what you are going through. You will find a lot of courageous, caring women here to support you along the way.

Hugs,

Fran

catheter
    thanks for responding, no I had a port put in but they called it a catheter, it was inserted into my skin by my collarbone and then back out again at the top of my left breast, it has one tube that will be used for chemo treatments, originally the doctor showed me one with two tubes, but after the outpatient surgery I had only one tube, I ask the surgeon why and he said that it didn't matter and I don't go back to the doctors until monday for a chemo class and the reason I went with that type of port is so I wouldn't have to get stuck with needles (they always have a hard time) but now I am concerned whether with one tube available will they have to take my weekly blood test in my arm. I am sure I will have lots of questions
    thanks
    betty
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    indwelling caths
    I believe most catheters inserted are one tube. A y-type connector can be added to the end if you need 2 access sites. It sounds as if you have an indwelling catheter like a PICC (peripherally inserted central catheter). Usually, you can both infuse and draw from a central line. However, sometimes they won't give blood back and then you can only infuse. I am speaking from experience as an NNP only (neonatal nurse practitioner), but I think the principles are the same ;-)
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    girls4444 said:

catheter
    thanks for responding, no I had a port put in but they called it a catheter, it was inserted into my skin by my collarbone and then back out again at the top of my left breast, it has one tube that will be used for chemo treatments, originally the doctor showed me one with two tubes, but after the outpatient surgery I had only one tube, I ask the surgeon why and he said that it didn't matter and I don't go back to the doctors until monday for a chemo class and the reason I went with that type of port is so I wouldn't have to get stuck with needles (they always have a hard time) but now I am concerned whether with one tube available will they have to take my weekly blood test in my arm. I am sure I will have lots of questions
    thanks
    betty

All of my blood draws for
    All of my blood draws for tests have been via vein. I was told that the port can be used for draws but the heparin block has to be removed and then put back so it's easier just to do a 'reg.' vein draw. So port's just been used for chemo so far. When I had surgery (port had already been in for 8 weeks), they used a vein in my hand.

Susan
  • girls4444
    Options

indwelling caths
    I believe most catheters inserted are one tube. A y-type connector can be added to the end if you need 2 access sites. It sounds as if you have an indwelling catheter like a PICC (peripherally inserted central catheter). Usually, you can both infuse and draw from a central line. However, sometimes they won't give blood back and then you can only infuse. I am speaking from experience as an NNP only (neonatal nurse practitioner), but I think the principles are the same ;-)

catheter
    Thanks, it is actually called a groshong catheter, I hope it does both, when I had the outpatient procedure done at the hospital the nurse destroyed my hand trying to start a IV. They had to numb me so they could get it in after that. I am nervous for my first chemo, they recommeded I have the chemo before the surgery to shrink it, it covers more than half my breast, I am currently waiting my results from my pet scan to see if the cancer is anywhere else.
  • CypressCynthia
    Options
    girls4444 said:

catheter
    Thanks, it is actually called a groshong catheter, I hope it does both, when I had the outpatient procedure done at the hospital the nurse destroyed my hand trying to start a IV. They had to numb me so they could get it in after that. I am nervous for my first chemo, they recommeded I have the chemo before the surgery to shrink it, it covers more than half my breast, I am currently waiting my results from my pet scan to see if the cancer is anywhere else.

I am rooting and praying for
    I am rooting and praying for you. Please keep me posted. I have had had about 6 pet scans and get worked up every single time waiting on the stupid results, so I hope you get results soon.
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    girls4444 said:

catheter

Wishing you the Best Test Results
    Hello, Girls4444, like many of us, I know what it's like to wait for pet scan results. I hope you get the all-clear very soon.
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

Wishing you the Best Test Results
    Hello, Girls4444, like many of us, I know what it's like to wait for pet scan results. I hope you get the all-clear very soon.

Welcome, girls 4444--keep us
    Welcome, girls 4444--keep us posted on how everything goes--

Hugs & prayers sent your way...
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Options
    Tux said:

Welcome girl, you can come
    Welcome girl, you can come here with your questions. We've all been through what you are about to go throught. So ask anything. They can also draw blood from your port, I know that for sure since i have to have blood drawn from my port also. They had such a hard time getting a vein, i dreaded giving blood worse than the chemo. I didn't know they could draw blood from my port, and one day my arm was black and blue and my oncologist was like, who did that to you, I told him the nurse did, so since then he has them draw from my port. Does not hurt at all, take care and good luck with your treatment. What type of breast cancer is it. Do you have Inflammatory Breast Cancer? let us know your pet scan results, we can help you..take care
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Options
    Tux said:

Welcome girl, you can come here with your questions. We've all been through what you are about to go throught. So ask anything. They can also draw blood from your port, I know that for sure since i have to have blood drawn from my port also. They had such a hard time getting a vein, i dreaded giving blood worse than the chemo. I didn't know they could draw blood from my port, and one day my arm was black and blue and my oncologist was like, who did that to you, I told him the nurse did, so since then he has them draw from my port. Does not hurt at all, take care and good luck with your treatment. What type of breast cancer is it. Do you have Inflammatory Breast Cancer? let us know your pet scan results, we can help you..take care
  • girls4444
    Options
    meena1 said:

thanks
    Thanks, I have been told that I have Stage 3 breast cancer, that the lump is 6cm x 6cm, when I get my pet scan results I am hoping to get more information, What questions should I ask? It is all so overwhelming everytime I go to a appointment I try to remember everything they say, I take my husband with me but it is hard to remember it all.
    betty
  • CypressCynthia
    Options
    girls4444 said:

thanks
    Thanks, I have been told that I have Stage 3 breast cancer, that the lump is 6cm x 6cm, when I get my pet scan results I am hoping to get more information, What questions should I ask? It is all so overwhelming everytime I go to a appointment I try to remember everything they say, I take my husband with me but it is hard to remember it all.
    betty

Questions, etc
    FYI, I had Stage 3 with 4 + nodes 22 years ago. I have had a recurrence this year in my ribs, but I plan on going at least 22 more years! The pet scan measures increased glucose uptake. Cancer cells use more glucose than a normal cell (one reason why a person with widespread cancer can't gain weight). Pet scan is usually done with a combined CT scan so that it is easier to locate where increased glucose uptake is occurring. The main question is is there any evidence of cancer elsewhere? I am praying that you are clean. If you don't already know, your doc should tell you more about your tumor: whether it has estrogen or progesterone receptors and her2 neu status. For a good guide to questions, check out:
    http://ww5.komen.org/BreastCancer/DiagnosisQuestions.html
    Good luck and please let us know how you are doing!
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Betty
    They used my port for both blood draws and chemo infusions. It was quite easy, although I think you have something different. My port was entirely internal. I wish you the best on your PET scans. The waiting is so tough. Make sure to have your oncologist go over your pathology report with you after surgery. Keep us posted.

Mimi
  • always
    always Member Posts: 256
    Options
    mimivac said:

Welcome, Betty
    They used my port for both blood draws and chemo infusions. It was quite easy, although I think you have something different. My port was entirely internal. I wish you the best on your PET scans. The waiting is so tough. Make sure to have your oncologist go over your pathology report with you after surgery. Keep us posted.

Mimi

Hi Betty
    Welcome..even though everyone wishes you never had to join us here. It would be too cool if there was never any need for newbies. My port works for both most of the time. Like my veins even my port has blood draw issues. This site is the very best place for information and support. I have not been here long. But it is a Godsend daily. Know that many thoughts and prayers are with you.

becky